08-03-2016 07:57 AM
38 12
tools
    I was almost ready to upgrade to this from my 7 month old Turbo2, but I've become so used to how handy wireless charging is it would be hard to give it up. I figured it would just be standard on all phones going forward. I love just setting it on the stand next to my bed and grabbing it as necessary while I'm in bed as well as mounting it on the wireless charger in my car for using with Waze. I suppose it would have made the phone a little thicker, but they could have used it to fill in some of that space of the camera that sticks out.
    06-11-2016 12:12 AM
    No wireless charging on the metal backed Moto Z.

However, there is wireless charging wheb using the Incipio offGRID Power Pack.

It wouldn't surprise me to see a wireless charging MotoMod.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition
    rxgadget likes this.
    06-11-2016 12:37 AM
    Easy mod so I can see more back plates that supports it.

Personally I don't like wireless charging since it takes so long and no freedom to use it while it's charging.
    06-11-2016 01:56 AM
    I was almost ready to upgrade to this from my 7 month old Turbo2, but I've become so used to how handy wireless charging is it would be hard to give it up. I figured it would just be standard on all phones going forward. I love just setting it on the stand next to my bed and grabbing it as necessary while I'm in bed as well as mounting it on the wireless charger in my car for using with Waze. I suppose it would have made the phone a little thicker, but they could have used it to fill in some of that space of the camera that sticks out.
    That's what I thought when I had to decide whether or not to give up wireless. With quick charging I don't miss it. Just hate that I have 2 wireless chargers that I no longer use.

Posted via the Android Central App
    rxgadget likes this.
    06-11-2016 10:25 AM
    No wireless charging on the metal backed Moto Z.

However, there is wireless charging wheb using the Incipio offGRID Power Pack.

It wouldn't surprise me to see a wireless charging MotoMod.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition
    If they came out with a thin case back wireless charger it might be ok.
    06-11-2016 10:50 AM

Personally I don't like wireless charging since it takes so long and no freedom to use it while it's charging.
    I agree its slow. I really just use it at night next to my bed where the speed is fine and in my car while using Waze so at least the battery is at least getting a little charge while I have the screen on all the time. And in both cases it's easy to just grab the phone off the charger if I need to do something with it. No cables to unplug and replug.
    06-11-2016 10:52 AM

Compared to a wired TurboCharge adapter, yeah it takes longer. Compared to a regular wired charger, it can be about the same.

I also use my DT2 all the time when it's it on my wireless charger at work. Clear notifications, answer messages, browsing. I use a Tylt Vu angled stand I've had for 3 years now. It utilizes more charging coils, so it's really all in the adapter.

Having used wireless charging for 3 years, any phone that doesn't support it natively takes a hit in my opinion.

Snareman and ShinyTop like this.
    06-18-2016 09:22 AM
    I'd take NFC over wireless charging. A year ago my opinion was just the opposite.

07-20-2016 06:16 PM
    I'd take NFC over wireless charging. A year ago my opinion was just the opposite.

Kind of an odd comparison, since the two don't perform the same functions, and aren't mutually exclusive. But I guess if for some reason I had to choose one over the other, I agree with you - I'd take NFC.

Of course, the way they approached modular features on these phones made wireless charging (at least traditional Qi wireless charging) not an option built-in. I too would like to have it, and may have to get the battery mod for it. Though I may hold out & deal with wired charging for a while in hopes that someone makes an inexpensive & thin wireless charging (sans extra battery) mod available.
    tony bag o donuts likes this.
    07-20-2016 06:46 PM
    Stupid question but will the incipio off grid mod with qi also charge via being hooked to the phone while being charged?

07-20-2016 06:50 PM

What do you use it for? I have NFC and wireless charging on my Turbo 2 as well as on my previous 2 or 3 phones. I use the wireless charging every day, but I don't think I've ever used NFC in 3+ years.
    07-20-2016 08:48 PM
    Looks like there will be this back that makes the phone into a 5700mah battery with wireless charging
    Incipio offGRID™ Power Pack | Moto Mods™
    07-20-2016 11:11 PM
    I had wireless charging and loved it, but with high speed charging its less of an issue to live without. Its nice to have but I no longer see it as a deal breaker. I have two nice wireless chargers hanging out in case I run with it in the future.

07-21-2016 05:12 AM
    I am using NFC for payments, tags at work, etc. I have a tag to start pandora when I leave the house and launch Car Home Ultra, while also increasing volume. When I was photographing football, I had a tag by the ticket booth so anyone with an NFC device could tap it and my info and link to that game's gallery would appear. I was really excited by wireless charging to avoid wear and tear on cables, but with rapid charging now more common, since I am in and out of the office a lot, I prefer it to wireless,especially with m OG Turbo's huge battery.
    07-21-2016 06:37 AM
    We've known that they won't have wireless charging (without a Moto Mod) since day 1.
    07-21-2016 09:17 AM
    We've known that they won't have wireless charging (without a Moto Mod) since day 1.
    Yes. Hopefully the motomod back doesn't make it too thick. A 5700mAh combined battery would be dandy as long as it isn't too chunky.
    07-21-2016 10:44 PM
    I think the combo will feel quite heavy, but not ridiculously chunky.
    07-21-2016 11:22 PM

Some phones have both -- just depends what you want.
    tony bag o donuts likes this.
    07-23-2016 01:27 PM
    Some phones have both -- just depends what you want.
    Exactly

07-23-2016 06:26 PM
    Yes. Hopefully the motomod back doesn't make it too thick. A 5700mAh combined battery would be dandy as long as it isn't too chunky.
    Unfortunately, it's not really 5700mah. The mod charges the phone battery, so you lose some efficiency there. Nonetheless, an extra 1300mah or so is a great thing.
    07-23-2016 06:29 PM
    I just want to point out to you wireless charging fans that there is no such thing as wireless charging. Its a myth, a cheap magicians trick with smoke and mirrors. Only Telsa was able to transmit electricity without wires.

07-27-2016 06:20 PM
    I just want to point out to you wireless charging fans that there is no such thing as wireless charging. Its a myth, a cheap magicians trick with smoke and mirrors. Only Telsa was able to transmit electricity without wires.

Well, Nikola must be crouched down next to my bed every night because I set my phone on the charger with no wires connected to the phone and when I wake it up its all charged. Now, there is a mirror next to the nightstand so maybe that's part of how it charges. Never smelled any smoke though...
    07-27-2016 06:26 PM
    Well, Nikola must be crouched down next to my bed every night because I set my phone on the charger with no wires connected to the phone and when I wake it up its all charged. Now, there is a mirror next to the nightstand so maybe that's part of how it charges. Never smelled any smoke though...
    A part of me is injecting humor but reality is that it is not true wireless charging. You are still connected to wires and not transmitting electricity across an air gap. True wireless charging if someone ever figures out how to do it safely and efficiently would mean you phone would receive electricity over the air just like a cell signal. Wireless charging would impress me if my phone could sit in my pocket and be charged from across the room.

07-27-2016 06:35 PM
    A part of me is injecting humor but reality is that it is not true wireless charging. You are still connected to wires and not transmitting electricity across an air gap. True wireless charging if someone ever figures out how to do it safely and efficiently would mean you phone would receive electricity over the air just like a cell signal. Wireless charging would impress me if my phone could sit in my pocket and be charged from across the room.

Yes, I've heard that is theoretically coming some day. But, alas... there still likely has to be wires to power the source spreading the energy into the air right? Still not technically wireless. Now maybe if I could get a charge from a rock or some other object...
    07-27-2016 06:37 PM
    Yes, I've heard that is theoretically coming some day. But, alas... there still likely has to be wires to power the source spreading the energy into the air right? Still not technically wireless. Now maybe if I could get a charge from a rock or some other object...
    To transmit wireless you have a transmitter and receiver across a gap of air as opposed to the way its done now holding two objects together. The wires at the transmitter would not count.

07-27-2016 06:46 PM
38 12