MOD Question about the battery pack

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
This is exactly what I'm doing. It's incredible. There's nothing I could do to kill the battery in a single day.

Nothing you *could* do? I bet it wouldn't make it through a full day of obsessive Pokemon Go. lol It'll be interesting in time to see what the top screen-on time someone posts will be.

*edit* Also, the fact that someone could just buy a couple extra battery mods & keep playing without interruption or having to be tethered to anything is cool to think about. :)

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Nothing you *could* do? I bet it wouldn't make it through a full day of obsessive Pokemon Go. lol It'll be interesting in time to see what the top screen-on time someone posts will be.

*edit* Also, the fact that someone could just buy a couple extra battery mods & keep playing without interruption or having to be tethered to anything is cool to think about. :)

Great point.

anon(2978616)

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
The battery pack will keep the phone charged to 100% or with efficiency mode 80%. So everytime the phone goes below those numbers the charger kicks in to recharge until the pack is depleted. Then the internal battery is on its own.

Just wondering if this constant charging won't affect overall battery life? Not that many people keep their phones long enough anymore for that to matter.

Posted via the Android Central App

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
As Veteater explained in the Z forum, it doesn't work like that. There's no way the battery mod can be charging the internal battery and keeping it at 80% while you're using the phone. So he says the battery mod depletes itself first. I don't have the phone so I can't test it but it makes sense to me. If so, that would be very good for efficiency and for the life of the internal battery.

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
The battery pack will keep the phone charged to 100% or with efficiency mode 80%. So everytime the phone goes below those numbers the charger kicks in to recharge until the pack is depleted. Then the internal battery is on its own.

Just wondering if this constant charging won't affect overall battery life? Not that many people keep their phones long enough anymore for that to matter.

It's good for the internal battery because you are not using cycles when using the battery mod. If anything heat might hurt it but it doesn't really get warm.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm on 54 hours with my tumi battery mod. I posted screen shots in different thread. Very happy with the results.

anon(2978616)

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
It would really be ideal if that's the way it was. But in my opinion the battery pack is just a charger. It's not an additional battery which can be accessed by the phone for power.

Why do you think it couldn't charge the phone while the phone's in use? And if you're saying it wouldn't be able to actually keep it at 80% while it's being used, I agree, but it would be charging all the while until it's finally back at that percentage.

Again, and this is just my opinion, the battery pack exists for one reason only. To charge the internal battery. When it's depleted then you would see the internal battery start to decrease from 80% or 100% depending on the settings.

So as I said earlier, the phone would be in a constant state of charging, which I think would degrade the internal battery as time goes on.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I don't know, the 16pin connector provides some pretty deep integration. I wouldn't be surprised if it is able to draw directly from the battery pack.

masseurca

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
The phone battery doesn't go below 80% unless the battery mod is depleted. I love that.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
It would really be ideal if that's the way it was. But in my opinion the battery pack is just a charger. It's not an additional battery which can be accessed by the phone for power.

Why do you think it couldn't charge the phone while the phone's in use? And if you're saying it wouldn't be able to actually keep it at 80% while it's being used, I agree, but it would be charging all the while until it's finally back at that percentage.

Again, and this is just my opinion, the battery pack exists for one reason only. To charge the internal battery. When it's depleted then you would see the internal battery start to decrease from 80% or 100% depending on the settings.

So as I said earlier, the phone would be in a constant state of charging, which I think would degrade the internal battery as time goes on.

I understand your logic and while I'm not disagreeing answer me this. If just like the original turbo that I came from if in the beginning I only charge every 2.5 days with the battery mod and 1.5 days without it how will it degrade the battery faster with the battery mod. My turbo used to go 3 days and at the end maybe 6-8 hours. But that was 3 year timeframe.

anon(2978616)

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Just so I'm clear, you are not leaving your battery mod on all the time? If that's the case than no, it wouldn't degrade the battery at all. But if you are, then I'm not quite sure I understand your question. Again, I want to be clear that if I purchased this phone I would really want to leave it on all the time as it's very convenient and you can never have enough battery, right! But I also tend to think of what's best for battery longevity, not that I ever seem to keep a phone long enough to make that concern a reality ;).

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Well up to today I have left it on all the time. Posted are the results of that. I kind of want to leave it on and not have to worry about it. But you bring up good points. I'm hoping someone with much more knowledge than me can advise the best way to use it. I love the fact I could go this long with only having to charge it once.

My next cycle is going to be without the battery mod just to see how it does. I appreciate you bringing up this issue and I guess I don't have the answer.
So far I've only charged it once when I first got it. I tend to keep phones a long time. 3+ years so I truly want this figured out.

1470246038745.jpg

anon(2978616)

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Well up to today I have left it on all the time. Posted are the results of that. I kind of want to leave it on and not have to worry about it. But you bring up good points. I'm hoping someone with much more knowledge than me can advise the best way to use it. I love the fact I could go this long with only having to charge it once.

My next cycle is going to be without the battery mod just to see how it does. I appreciate you bringing up this issue and I guess I don't have the answer.
So far I've only charged it once when I first got it. I tend to keep phones a long time. 3+ years so I truly want this figured out.

View attachment 233982

Love the battery times you posted! It really ends worry about making it through a day with heavy use. Question: when I was in the store and put the battery mod on the Z Force if felt heavy. Has that been any issue for you?

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Love the battery times you posted! It really ends worry about making it through a day with heavy use. Question: when I was in the store and put the battery mod on the Z Force if felt heavy. Has that been any issue for you?
Not for me. I like a big ol brick. Cant stand the feel of a flimsy phone in my hand. It add weight yes. But I just came from using a turbo in an otterbox defender case. I wish i could put a defender case on this with the battery mod attached. It would be even thicker.

anon(2978616)

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Not for me. I like a big ol brick. Cant stand the feel of a flimsy phone in my hand. It add weight yes. But I just came from using a turbo in an otterbox defender case. I wish i could put a defender case on this with the battery mod attached. It would be even thicker.

Is there any kind of thin case you can use with it to protect the sides?

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
There is the bumper case that apparently needs a modification to the charging port cutout. I honestly don't see the need for a case to protect the back of a mod and would add additional bulkiness, but others might want that.

bigpapa7272

May 27, 2010
Visit site
There is the bumper case that apparently needs a modification to the charging port cutout. I honestly don't see the need for a case to protect the back of a mod and would add additional bulkiness, but others might want that.
Ditto on the bumper case great idea but not all of us on a Dremel to fix it

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Just so I'm clear, you are not leaving your battery mod on all the time? If that's the case than no, it wouldn't degrade the battery at all. But if you are, then I'm not quite sure I understand your question. Again, I want to be clear that if I purchased this phone I would really want to leave it on all the time as it's very convenient and you can never have enough battery, right! But I also tend to think of what's best for battery longevity, not that I ever seem to keep a phone long enough to make that concern a reality ;).

I bought the phone and battery mod with the intention of leaving the mod on at all times. But now I've decided to only use the battery mod on days I won't be near a charger.

Why? First, while not too big, the mod adds a good amount of weight to the phone. Second, the battery life on the Z Force is pretty incredible without the mod. I'm getting 7-8 hours of SOT without the mod.