Phil, you really went there? We have need for a drop test?

Blacklac

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
That's not the same thing....that's to protect lives

Posted via the Android Central App

You just believe every marketing claim you've ever heard? :)

It's not something that's going to be a deciding factor for most but it's nice to know that new phone you spent hundreds will actually survive a fall or if you should use a case or whatever. And that's what it's for, knowledge.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
No I don't but I'm confident that the shatterscreen technology works. I am also friendly with My local Moto rep and we've discussed this phone in detail. He offered me a good deal on a sample but I don't like the plastic shattershield. Scratches too easily and I refuse to put a screen protector on any phone. The Z is too thin and I'm afraid that will break and battery is small. That phone should get some testing not something I know won't break.
I just prefer gorilla glass and I have never broken a Moto after dropping it from a normal height. Droid X....X2....Razr Maxx....Droid Maxx. I think the Z might be too fragile

I don't really care about the drop test but to each his own..its just a waste of a good phone.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
No I don't but I'm confident that the shatterscreen technology works. I am also friendly with My local Moto rep and we've discussed this phone in detail. He offered me a good deal on a sample but I don't like the plastic shattershield. Scratches too easily and I refuse to put a screen protector on any phone. The Z is too thin and I'm afraid that will break and battery is small. That phone should get some testing not something I know won't break.
I just prefer gorilla glass and I have never broken a Moto after dropping it from a normal height. Droid X....X2....Razr Maxx....Droid Maxx. I think the Z might be too fragile

I don't really care about the drop test but to each his own..its just a waste of a good phone.

If it makes you feel better, if my Z Force sucks I've pledged to destroy it on a YouTube video in a rather epic fashion. That or sell it on ebay.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm all for drop tests on the Z Force. How much damage can you do before the screen shatters?

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

To be fair, it won't ever shatter since it's plastic. It's going to end up with a logic board, LCD, or touch sensitive layer failure before the screen lens will break in some way.

BTW, if anyone wants to watch the video, here it is:
Moto Z Force Droid Edition's ShatterShield survives drops, phone still dies | Android Central

While not a super scientific test, it wasn't ridiculous like the Turbo2 screen test where they took a hand sledge to it. This video tells me that it's durable, but it's probably not going to take dozens & dozens of sizable drops before something's broken. But those drops were high & hard enough that most phones would've cracked the glass sooner, probably within the first couple drops.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC