08-05-2016 01:23 PM
82 ... 234
tools
    OP3 is better and cheaper, Nexus 6P is better and cheaper, ZTE Axon 7, heck even the $300 Robin is a better phone. Motorola was good for a while, but they have clearly lost their mojo. They've gotten lazy with updates, the designs of the Z phones with those horrible camera bumps are just plain ugly. Pricing their phones in the same ball park as Samsung and iphone? What exactly makes them worth that? GS7 is superior to moto in every way possible, It's worth the extra money. Iphones are riding on brand recognition. What does Moto have going for it? It will retain it's battery overnight? Great! That's feature I couldn't live without. It's expensive, it's mods are expensive, mods usefulness is debatable, updates? What's an update? Not in this lifetime. It's ugly, mods make the phone bulky. Battery is small on the Z forcing you to buy a battery mod or look for a third party battery add on. No headphone jack, Why? Just so they can say they beat Apple to the punch?
    08-04-2016 04:37 PM
    OP3 is better and cheaper, Nexus 6P is better and cheaper, ZTE Axon 7, heck even the $300 Robin is a better phone. Motorola was good for a while, but they have clearly lost their mojo. They've gotten lazy with updates, the designs of the Z phones with those horrible camera bumps are just plain ugly. Pricing their phones in the same ball park as Samsung and iphone? What exactly makes them worth that? GS7 is superior to moto in every way possible iphones are riding on brand recognition. What does Moto have going for it? It will retain it's battery overnight? Great! That's feature I couldn't live without.
    Something is worth what someone will pay. I appreciate the fact you dont like it. But others do. You think it's ugly and that's OK. I happen to think it's the best designed phone all year. And that's even with my OP3, s7 edge, HTC 10, Note 5, iPhone 6s plus and other devices I have had this year. So what's that worth. Nothing. It only matters to me.

So far I think the Z fares far better than all those other devices. But that's in my eyes. But to call something better or worse or ugly or whatever is the user opion not fact. The Moto Z is running almost the same hardware as everyone else minus the camera and wireless charging.
    beeare likes this.
    08-04-2016 04:56 PM
    Time to put this thread on a time out.
    08-04-2016 04:57 PM
    Time to put this thread on a time out.
    Going to re-open this thread. Let's all follow Ry's earlier post below.

Quick reminder:

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Be polite. We ask that you keep your language clean and polite.
    Be understanding and patient You may be a power user or developer, but the person you’re talking to on the other end may be a complete newbie. Be patient, and provide all details possible if you’re posting about a problem (descriptive thread title always helps).
    Be a pro. Don’t get into arguments over dumb things. If someone responds in a poor or rude fashion, ignore it. If you notice a pattern of rude or poor behavior from a particular member, report them to our moderators. If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all. In a nutshell, ‘think before you post’.
    Be attentive and helpful. Answer questions in a timely manner when you can, and provide thoughts and suggestions that might lead to the solution of a members’ problem.
    Aquila and VDub2174 like this.
    08-05-2016 11:30 AM
    OP3 is better and cheaper, Nexus 6P is better and cheaper, ZTE Axon 7, heck even the $300 Robin is a better phone. Motorola was good for a while, but they have clearly lost their mojo. They've gotten lazy with updates, the designs of the Z phones with those horrible camera bumps are just plain ugly. Pricing their phones in the same ball park as Samsung and iphone? What exactly makes them worth that? GS7 is superior to moto in every way possible, It's worth the extra money. Iphones are riding on brand recognition. What does Moto have going for it? It will retain it's battery overnight? Great! That's feature I couldn't live without. It's expensive, it's mods are expensive, mods usefulness is debatable, updates? What's an update? Not in this lifetime. It's ugly, mods make the phone bulky. Battery is small on the Z forcing you to buy a battery mod or look for a third party battery add on. No headphone jack, Why? Just so they can say they beat Apple to the punch?
    While I can see where someone might prefer some of those other phones, I disagree that they're straight-up "better". I can spell out why on a model-by-model basis if you like. It seems that you simply don't like Motorola phones, and think the Z is too expensive. That's fine, you're entitled to your opinion, though at some point sharing repeatedly without getting into why isn't productive, and you need to understand that some of your complaints are simply preference or opinion.

I do agree that it's disappointing that updates aren't as fast or dependable as they once were. That was one thing that made me hesitate at buying my Zf. However, while I was tempted to hold out for one of the new Nexus phones, my previous phone was the Nexus 6, and I really missed some of the Motorola features, like the enhanced always listening, twist for camera, etc. My Droid Maxx didn't have the chop for flashlight or the sensors where you can wave your hand & see notifications, and I'm loving those additions.

Also, while it's fair to be cautious about build quality with the transition over to devices developed under Lenovo, there's every indication that the build quality on the Z/Zf is excellent. You ask why it's worth similar money as iPhones or Samsung Galaxys, and the answer is build quality, features & specs, and discounts (few are going to pay full price for these phones, unless it's through a no-interest 2yr payment plan).

By the way, the camera bump is only there if you don't use a style mod, which is included, and I think Moto expects most people to use if they're not using another mod. You question the mods' usefulness, and that's fair, but the phone is excellent without them. And the regular Z has enough battery to go through a day for more average users, and the Force has enough battery to get through the day for somewhat heavy users. The fact that the battery mod is an option is icing on the cake. I have the Zf, and so far I don't see myself buying a battery mod unless i'ts on sale and I buy it for when I travel and use my phone heavily due to a lot of time to kill. Or I may just stick with the battery bank I already have.
    08-05-2016 12:26 PM
    That's fine, you're entitled to your opinion, though at some point sharing repeatedly without getting into why isn't productive, and you need to understand that some of your complaints are simply preference or opinion.
    Ugly to me ok fine I'll give you that, but as to the why? Really? Do I have to go through the list again? Did you even read my post? Expensive, lack of updates, too small a battery, no headphone jack etc.. These are not preferences, there is no excuse for a phone of this price to not be updated or to have a small battery. You expect that from cheapo phones, but $700+ phone should be updated.

You ask why it's worth similar money as iPhones or Samsung Galaxys, and the answer is build quality, features & specs, and discounts (few are going to pay full price for these phones, unless it's through a no-interest 2yr payment plan).
    OP3 doesn't have the build quality? Nexus 6P doesn't have the build quality? Axon 7 doesn't have the build quality? Why so are they priced so much lower? What justifies the $300 or so more in money? The days of $700 phones is coming to an end and the sooner Lenovo realizes the better. Most mid range phones have an 820 chip, a good camera, a good battery. Something must differentiate them from the rest of the pack. In Moto and LG you find mods, others are choosing to go on price.

I'm not hating on the Z, I think the HTC 10 and LG are in the same boat as these Z phones, overpriced. So is Apple and so is Samsung, but for whatever reason perceived cache or superior build i.e waterproof. Those guys are able to get people to pay $700. Sony, HTC, LG, Lenovo are all trying to get a foothold in the $700+ high margin market. Why choose any of those guys? What is compelling about their phones to justify those prices? Build quality??? Nobody wants to get in a race to the bottom, but eventually something has to give. There just aren't enough people on this planet who can keep paying those every 2 years.

By the way, the camera bump is only there if you don't use a style mod, which is included, and I think Moto expects most people to use if they're not using another mod.
    This one probably the worst offense, they couldn't figure out a way to make that bump flush? So you need a style cover to fix a poor engineering job? It's a plate that does nothing except to make the camera flush. Why not just make a bigger battery and no bump and no style cover? I'm not a fan of these camera bumps on any phone but Lenovo has taken it to a new level. They seem proud of that bump when they should be ashamed. They took leftovers from all those unsold watches and plugged them into the back of the phone.
    08-05-2016 01:14 PM
    Going to re-open this thread. Let's all follow Ry's earlier post below.
    Didn't work; you're not being listened to.

Reclosed. Thanks everyone, see you next thread.
    08-05-2016 01:23 PM
82 ... 234