Battery Life of the Moto Z Force DROID Edition

Toes Up

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Is anybody else disappointed by the apparent battery life of the Force? For example, Phone Arena puts it at 7 hours 9 minutes, well behind the T1 and even the T2 (not to mention several other flagships). I expected more from a 3500 MAH battery. I realize that you can buy a mod, but of course that increases the price of the phone (not to mention wireless charging and an IP rating).....

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Re: Battery Life - Moto Z DROID Edition

I'm having trouble finding the review that says that to see what the testing conditions were. I could believe that number under a very heavy load, but would expect to get through a day pretty easily under normal or even somewhat heavy usage.

Toes Up

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site

Yea, I have no idea how accurate their testing is. I haven't seen any other "objective" numbers either.

It will be interesting to hear what the battery life is like once these phones hit the wild.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site

Yea, I have no idea how accurate their testing is. I haven't seen any other "objective" numbers either.

It will be interesting to hear what the battery life is like once these phones hit the wild.

I'm mostly assuming that the Moto Z (non-Force) battery size (2600mah) was chosen to be able to just get through a "day" of "average" use. That would put the Force's 3500mah battery at something like a day and a half, or a day of moderately heavy use, or 2 days of fairly light use. Time will tell what real world use gives.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site

I'm mostly assuming that the Moto Z (non-Force) battery size (2600mah) was chosen to be able to just get through a "day" of "average" use. That would put the Force's 3500mah battery at something like a day and a half, or a day of moderately heavy use, or 2 days of fairly light use. Time will tell what real world use gives.

Most of the reviews I read had the Force lasting a full day with no problem. Don't forget the phone charges extremely fast. So long as the phone can get you through a day, what more do you want?

That said, I'll still be buying the battery mod for days where I'm traveling and don't have access to an outlet.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Most of the reviews I read had the Force lasting a full day with no problem. Don't forget the phone charges extremely fast. So long as the phone can get you through a day, what more do you want?

That said, I'll still be buying the battery mod for days where I'm traveling and don't have access to an outlet.

2600 is a bit short for a day of average use. That would have to be very conservative average use but one mans ceiling is another mans floor. No playing that stupid Pokemon for this phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

Toes Up

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site

If the phone can actually get through a day, I'm fine with that as are most people. I work in an office so battery life is usually a non issue. That said, there have been days (at a wrestling tournament for example) where I blew through the battery on my T2. I hate having to worry about running out of juice! If I get this phone I will probably get a battery mod as well.

My original point or concern is that the battery on the Force doesn't appear to be as good as I would expect. And, a mod is an added expense....

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Too many variables, so best to compare with your own use and network area. Reviewers that actually used the device with heavier apps state the device runs hot and the battery drains quick. That's par though for more devices than not. MXPE has this issue too. That and weak signal areas pulling data are battery killahs'.

Added: If all of the sensor bling is similar to the MXPE, all of that stuff on results in 15% drain on battery life. All that bling comes at a cost.

Last edited:

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Reports seem to differ on how good or not so good the Force battery is fwiw.

Because of the variables of use: Apps used, duration of time, brightness, data, wifi, signal strength, ambient temperature (this is bigger than some might appreciate), volume, headphone impedance, bluetooth, GPS, motion sensors..... The point is there are way too many things for anyone really to compare battery life. Also, looping a video via wifi in an office like most reviews do does NOT extrapolate real usage well at all.

In most reviewers defense, they are not scientists so ignorance is bliss. This is true for some scientists too- or perhaps willful ignorance...

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site

Good point about the sensors: I disabled all those wave/approach sensors on the MXPE.

Aren't the sensors and Moto actions one of the main draws of Moto phones though? They really do utilize the technology better than anybody else. Just look at Samsung's utterly useless Always On Display by comparison.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site

I got the phone this morning and battery life seems really good. Not epic like the Droid Maxx or first Droid Turbo, but still really good.

sbmoore1

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site

Got mine this morning with 51% on it. I'm at 18% now with 3h10m screen on time. So far it's better than my note 5

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site

I haven't charged mine yet. Just setting it up and using it for a bit it seems pretty good so far. I'll see what happens tomorrow.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Stopped by a store today and I think I will wait to see how battery life turns out to be for folks. The force is nice but I wasnt as excited as I was thinking I would be.

The big issue for me is not having an Otterbox or Otterbox type case that would cover the battery mod.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000