04-03-2017 07:47 AM
123 1234 ...
tools
    I want to get the bumper case just to help with the phone being slippery.
    The Z Force is downright grippy compared to the last two phones I've used naked - the S7 Edge and iPhone 6S+. Those two were like holding Crisco without a case.

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-02-2016 09:36 PM
    I just want to get a good bumper case to protect the sides and edges from scuffs.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition
    benjamminh likes this.
    08-02-2016 09:42 PM
    Yeah the bumper case sucks I picked up one today in hopes it would be good with my tumi wireless charging battery mod that's coming in the mail tomorrow kind of disappointed that they wouldn't figure out this flaw before releasing the product.
    08-02-2016 10:24 PM
    Just took the Dremel to mine; what an oversight on the design. Much better now though. I made 2 changes. I ground down the tab on the back of the bumper a little first. That tab was hitting the style shell and pushing the bottom of the bumper off the phone. I then opened up the opening for the charger.

I like the bumper, keeps the style shell exposed and gives me a little more grip and protection on the sides
    08-03-2016 08:12 AM
    Bumper fixed! Here's my solution:
    At first I tried just removing the material until it was flush with the cross-brace section, but that wasn't enough. I had to make the cross brace about half the original thickness. Now the charging cable snaps in confidently without any extra thought or effort. A bit disappointing they didn't just design it correctly to begin with, but at least it was easy to fix.
    Just took the Dremel to mine; what an oversight on the design. Much better now though. I made 2 changes. I ground down the tab on the back of the bumper a little first. That tab was hitting the style shell and pushing the bottom of the bumper off the phone. I then opened up the opening for the charger.

I like the bumper, keeps the style shell exposed and gives me a little more grip and protection on the sides
    If I understand both of your fixes:
    - Grind down the "lip" that protrudes from the case. This will allow the case to sit flush
    - Grind out the bottom part of the charger port opening so that it is big enough to fit the charging cable

Is that right?
    08-04-2016 02:46 PM
    - Grind down the "lip" that protrudes from the case. This will allow the case to sit flush
    - Grind out the bottom part of the charger port opening so that it is big enough to fit the charging cable

Is that right?
    You might have it, but I'm not quite sure. Basically it is only removing material from one spot. I just went so far, tried it, and found I had to keep removing material. Overall, I removed the area highlighted in red.

Bumper Cases for the Moto Z Force-zbottom-removed-area.jpg

I believe someone else mentioned removing a bit that the style backs catch on. I haven't removed that (yet).
    hotshotazn and bat1939_KM like this.
    08-04-2016 04:36 PM
    You might have it, but I'm not quite sure. Basically it is only removing material from one spot. I just went so far, tried it, and found I had to keep removing material. Overall, I removed the area highlighted in red.

I believe someone else mentioned removing a bit that the style backs catch on. I haven't removed that (yet).
    Perfect, this is exactly what I wanted to know. I was thinking that I could pull the case "down" when I wanted to charge but would rather have a permanent fix.

Question - any concerns with the integrity/stability of that portion of the case now that it has been modified? Like are you worried it might break right there?
    08-04-2016 04:57 PM
    Perfect, this is exactly what I wanted to know. I was thinking that I could pull the case "down" when I wanted to charge but would rather have a permanent fix.

Question - any concerns with the integrity/stability of that portion of the case now that it has been modified? Like are you worried it might break right there?
    No concern at all, seems very solid. Barely moves if I tug on it.
    08-04-2016 05:29 PM

Is that right?
    Correct, I removed what YAYTech outlined in red but I also ground down that tab on the back bottom of the case I circled in red below.

I took that down just enough so it isn't hitting the style shell. My bumper wasn't sitting flush on the bottom of the phone because of that.

Bumper Cases for the Moto Z Force-motorola-two-tone-bumper-moto-z-force-droid-edition-black-gray-motxt1650mbkgy-iset.jpg

Bumper Cases for the Moto Z Force-img_20160804_183522026.jpg
    YAYTech and hotshotazn like this.
    08-04-2016 06:34 PM
    I doesn't look like it's to hard to fix. I have just been pushing the bottom down a little to get the charger in. But I think it's time to get the grinder out.
    I just can't believe this made it passed quality control like this.
    YAYTech and hotshotazn like this.
    08-04-2016 10:18 PM
    Has anyone used this bumper with the Incipio battery mod? Does it fit good?
    08-06-2016 10:38 AM
    So I put the bumper back on the phone this morning is the tumi battery mod attached and the charger goes in with no issues I'm wondering if the bumper was designed specifically for the battery
    08-06-2016 11:07 AM
    The bumper is compatible with the mods. I have had it on with the speaker mod with no problems.
    anon(9702034) likes this.
    08-06-2016 11:21 AM
    That's the info I needed. Thanks. On my way to the Verizon store to get bumper. Just got back from picking it up. Fits perfect with battery mod.
    cbironman24 likes this.
    08-06-2016 12:02 PM
    So I put the bumper back on the phone this morning is the tumi battery mod attached and the charger goes in with no issues I'm wondering if the bumper was designed specifically for the battery
    To confirm, you have a Z Force, the stock Verizon bumper, and the Tumi battery and you can plug the charger in without any issues?
    mobrules likes this.
    08-08-2016 10:05 AM
    To confirm, you have a Z Force, the stock Verizon bumper, and the Tumi battery and you can plug the charger in without any issues?
    That is correct. I have the force, the tumi battery pack, and the Verizon bumper edge case. It all fits no issues. It's the style mods, swappable backs like wood, that have an issue with the bumper case.
    hotshotazn likes this.
    08-08-2016 10:09 AM
    That is correct. I have the force, the tumi battery pack, and the Verizon bumper edge case. It all fits no issues. It's the style mods, swappable backs like wood, that have an issue with the bumper case.
    I'm wondering if there were early production units with the design issue, and then they caught it & fixed it, but didn't bother pulling the old inventory, leaving a mix of good & faulty designed bumpers.
    mobrules likes this.
    08-08-2016 11:07 AM
    I'm wondering if there were early production units with the design issue, and then they caught it & fixed it, but didn't bother pulling the old inventory, leaving a mix of good & faulty designed bumpers.
    I didn't think so. The bumper case has a tab on the back bottom of the case. That interferes with the style back and causes the case to bend in that spot making a charging cable hard to insert. But all the mods have a finger groove cut out in that location (to help remove them) so they groove fits over the tab and nothing is effected.

To work with the style back you just have to remove the tab, once it is gone everything fits fine. You don't have to widen the USB C opening on the case like others have mentioned. I removed the tab with my pocket knife.
    mobrules likes this.
    08-08-2016 11:13 AM
    I reached out to Case-Mate to see if a bumper is in the works. Had one on my Moto X 2nd edition and loved it.

I had a two toned blue from Motorola but you get the idea:

Dark Teal & Turquoise Tough Frame Case for Moto X (2nd Gen.) | Case-Mate – Case-Mate.com
    mobrules and Ritchk like this.
    08-08-2016 12:57 PM
    I reached out to Case-Mate to see if a bumper is in the works. Had one on my Moto X 2nd edition and loved it.

I had a two toned blue from Motorola but you get the idea:

Dark Teal & Turquoise Tough Frame Case for Moto X (2nd Gen.) | Case-Mate – Case-Mate.com
    Let us know what they say. I decided to give up on the Verizon bumper case. Without the battery mod on all the time it just feels too slim and light, besides feeling way too slippery. I feel like I'm going to drop it all the time. Ordered a generic gel case that should be here today. I'll post a photo tonight.

If that doesn't work I'm just going with Otterbox Defender. My original Turbo that I got as soon as it was released still looks brand new. Plus I need a belt clip.
    08-08-2016 01:06 PM
    Let us know what they say. I decided to give up on the Verizon bumper case. Without the battery mod on all the time it just feels too slim and light, besides feeling way too slippery. I feel like I'm going to drop it all the time. Ordered a generic gel case that should be here today. I'll post a photo tonight.

If that doesn't work I'm just going with Otterbox Defender. My original Turbo that I got as soon as it was released still looks brand new. Plus I need a belt clip.

Looks like no plans on making one at this point

Alan Benavides (Case-mate)
    Aug 9, 07:56 EDT

Hello,

As of now we do not have cases for that device. If in the future we do make any you will hear about it through our newsletter or our social media accounts.

We apologize for the inconvenience,

Alan Benavides
    mobrules likes this.
    08-11-2016 12:57 PM
    Looks like no plans on making one at this point

Alan Benavides (Case-mate)
    Aug 9, 07:56 EDT

Hello,

As of now we do not have cases for that device. If in the future we do make any you will hear about it through our newsletter or our social media accounts.

We apologize for the inconvenience,

Alan Benavides
    That says they "do not have cases," not that they " have no plans to make cases" -- which I point out only to say that it's clearly wrong. VZ sells Case-Mate cases for both the Z and Z Force. So Alan maybe didn't do much digging before responding to your query. :-)
    cbironman24 likes this.
    08-11-2016 02:32 PM
    That says they "do not have cases," not that they " have no plans to make cases" -- which I point out only to say that it's clearly wrong. VZ sells Case-Mate cases for both the Z and Z Force. So Alan maybe didn't do much digging before responding to your query. :-)
    Very true, Alan's explanation could have been more detailed. I didn't post my initial email to Case-Mate but I specifically referenced bumper cases in my inquiry which doesn't appear to be in the works currently.
    Revolutionary likes this.
    08-12-2016 09:52 AM
    Other than the Verizon one, has anyone spotted a proper mod-compatible bumper for the Force yet?
    08-24-2016 03:34 PM
    Received my Verizon bumper case today. Happier with it that I expected. Mods go on and off easily, protects the screen when laid face down, and charger connects easily. Makes it feel more secure in my hand with Tumi battery mod on. Edited to add I have the Force.
    mobrules likes this.
    08-24-2016 04:15 PM
123 1234 ...