Bumper Cases for the Moto Z Force

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
Re: Bumper Cases

Got two of the bumpers today, but will be returning them. Don't like the look of either (black & clear).

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site

I want to get the bumper case just to help with the phone being slippery.

The Z Force is downright grippy compared to the last two phones I've used naked - the S7 Edge and iPhone 6S+. Those two were like holding Crisco without a case.

Posted via the Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I just want to get a good bumper case to protect the sides and edges from scuffs.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

bigpapa7272

May 27, 2010
Visit site

Yeah the bumper case sucks I picked up one today in hopes it would be good with my tumi wireless charging battery mod that's coming in the mail tomorrow kind of disappointed that they wouldn't figure out this flaw before releasing the product.

legobob76

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

Just took the Dremel to mine; what an oversight on the design. Much better now though. I made 2 changes. I ground down the tab on the back of the bumper a little first. That tab was hitting the style shell and pushing the bottom of the bumper off the phone. I then opened up the opening for the charger.

I like the bumper, keeps the style shell exposed and gives me a little more grip and protection on the sides

Last edited:

hotshotazn

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site

Bumper fixed! Here's my solution:
At first I tried just removing the material until it was flush with the cross-brace section, but that wasn't enough. I had to make the cross brace about half the original thickness. Now the charging cable snaps in confidently without any extra thought or effort. A bit disappointing they didn't just design it correctly to begin with, but at least it was easy to fix.

Just took the Dremel to mine; what an oversight on the design. Much better now though. I made 2 changes. I ground down the tab on the back of the bumper a little first. That tab was hitting the style shell and pushing the bottom of the bumper off the phone. I then opened up the opening for the charger.

I like the bumper, keeps the style shell exposed and gives me a little more grip and protection on the sides

If I understand both of your fixes:
- Grind down the "lip" that protrudes from the case. This will allow the case to sit flush
- Grind out the bottom part of the charger port opening so that it is big enough to fit the charging cable

Is that right?

Last edited:

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site

- Grind down the "lip" that protrudes from the case. This will allow the case to sit flush
- Grind out the bottom part of the charger port opening so that it is big enough to fit the charging cable

Is that right?

You might have it, but I'm not quite sure. Basically it is only removing material from one spot. I just went so far, tried it, and found I had to keep removing material. Overall, I removed the area highlighted in red.

zBottom-removed area.jpg

I believe someone else mentioned removing a bit that the style backs catch on. I haven't removed that (yet).

hotshotazn

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site

You might have it, but I'm not quite sure. Basically it is only removing material from one spot. I just went so far, tried it, and found I had to keep removing material. Overall, I removed the area highlighted in red.

I believe someone else mentioned removing a bit that the style backs catch on. I haven't removed that (yet).

Perfect, this is exactly what I wanted to know. I was thinking that I could pull the case "down" when I wanted to charge but would rather have a permanent fix.

Question - any concerns with the integrity/stability of that portion of the case now that it has been modified? Like are you worried it might break right there?

Last edited:

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site

Perfect, this is exactly what I wanted to know. I was thinking that I could pull the case "down" when I wanted to charge but would rather have a permanent fix.

Question - any concerns with the integrity/stability of that portion of the case now that it has been modified? Like are you worried it might break right there?

No concern at all, seems very solid. Barely moves if I tug on it.

legobob76

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

Is that right?

Correct, I removed what YAYTech outlined in red but I also ground down that tab on the back bottom of the case I circled in red below.

I took that down just enough so it isn't hitting the style shell. My bumper wasn't sitting flush on the bottom of the phone because of that.

motorola-two-tone-bumper-moto-z-force-droid-edition-black-gray-motxt1650mbkgy-iset.jpg

IMG_20160804_183522026.jpg

Last edited:

cbironman24

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site

I doesn't look like it's to hard to fix. I have just been pushing the bottom down a little to get the charger in. But I think it's time to get the grinder out.
I just can't believe this made it passed quality control like this.

bigpapa7272

May 27, 2010
Visit site

So I put the bumper back on the phone this morning is the tumi battery mod attached and the charger goes in with no issues I'm wondering if the bumper was designed specifically for the battery

anon(9702034)

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site

That's the info I needed. Thanks. On my way to the Verizon store to get bumper. Just got back from picking it up. Fits perfect with battery mod.

Last edited:

hotshotazn

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site

So I put the bumper back on the phone this morning is the tumi battery mod attached and the charger goes in with no issues I'm wondering if the bumper was designed specifically for the battery

To confirm, you have a Z Force, the stock Verizon bumper, and the Tumi battery and you can plug the charger in without any issues?

Last edited: