Does the Moto Z have Quick Charge 2.0/3.0 support?

masseurca

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know? Probably picking up the Force and was curious. I have lots of QC 2.0 chargers and batteries, so hoping.

Posted via the Android Central App

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Re: Does the Moto Z have Quick Charge 2.0 / 3.0 support?

I believe it does (correction - it doesn't). The Moto Z doesn't come up on Qualcomm's page where they list compatible devices [ https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon/quick-charge ], but they do list the Droid Turbo 2, which uses the same "TurboPower" marketing name for their charger as the Moto Z. I'm assuming the Z is just too new and hasn't been added to Qualcomm's site yet. I'll try to remember to test my new Z Force on my QC chargers when I get a chance. Gotta wait on my extra Type C cables to arrive Monday...

Last edited:

rxgadget

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site

Does anyone know? Probably picking up the Force and was curious. I have lots of QC 2.0 chargers and batteries, so hoping.

It says Turbo charged but I believe it is a Type USB C which charges faster than normal but not Qualcomm Chip. I looked at one today and forgot to double check the USB port

masseurca

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site

I have to check when I get home, have some usb c cables

dbregman

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site

When I plug it into a QC 2.0 charger I used with my Droid Turbo, I do not get the Turbo charging message, only when I plug it into the 'Turbo Charger" supplied in the box. I do not have QC 3.0 to try - if anyone does please let us know.

Firebat121283

Jul 31, 2016
Visit site

When I plug it into a QC 2.0 charger I used with my Droid Turbo, I do not get the Turbo charging message, only when I plug it into the 'Turbo Charger" supplied in the box. I do not have QC 3.0 to try - if anyone does please let us know.

I have the Moto Z Force and a Quick Charge 3.0 wall charger and car charger neither seems to fast charge it. The Verizon brand USB C charger I have does and I get the turbo charge message.

I looked into the"turbo charging" and it appears that Motorola uses extra voltage, 9V and 12V DC, while Qualcomm quick charging tends to be more amperage with the same 5V this may be the issue.

Last edited:

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site

I get the "Turbo Charging" notification when using my Apple USB C charger, but not using any QC chargers, including the ones in my cars.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site

Wait, so just to check - an iPhone charger will work for the Moto Z Force?

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site

Wait, so just to check - an iPhone charger will work for the Moto Z Force?

I have the USB C Apple chargers. Different from the standard iPhone and iPad chargers. I think they're 29W.

chemgeek

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

QC 2.0 uses 5, 9, and 12 volts in its charging cycle, and that's how the moto charging brick is labeled. So it SHOULD be compatible, and kinda dumb if not. A standard charger will not charge attached mods, BTW.

chemgeek

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

I take it back. My brick says 5V X 5.4A which is proprietary. It's really quick, though.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site

I take it back. My brick says 5V X 5.4A which is proprietary. It's really quick, though.

Will the Turbo charger that came with the original Droid Turbo charge the battery mod (assuming I use an adapter)?

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site

Tested tonight with an aftermarket QC3 charger, the charger that came with my Nexus 6, and my Z Force charger. Only the Z Force charger charged at a higher rate.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site

Tested tonight with an aftermarket QC3 charger, the charger that came with my Nexus 6, and my Z Force charger. Only the Z Force charger charged at a higher rate.

Did the aftermarket charger charge the mod, even if at a slower rate?

dbregman

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site

Will the Turbo charger that came with the original Droid Turbo charge the battery mod (assuming I use an adapter)?

I think any charger will charge wth mod, as long as there is a USB C. That works for my speaker mod.

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site

I think any charger will charge wth mod, as long as there is a USB C. That works for my speaker mod.

The speaker mod is different in that it can be charged separately from the phone. The battery pack mods cannot be charged unless attached to the phone, and the rumor seems to be (no confirmation?) that this only works if it's a Moto TurboPower charger - other chargers do not power up the battery mod at the same time.

PS: I love the speaker! :)

masseurca

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site

It does support at least QC 2.0. I have tested it on many of my chargers and it is definitely working great.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site

It does support at least QC 2.0. I have tested it on many of my chargers and it is definitely working great.

But is it Turbocharging? It'll charge on any QC charger, but my QC2/3 charger does not go into Turbocharging mode.

*edit* In the interest of more information, this is the QC3 charger I tested with:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BF3SQV0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited: