Thoughts after playing with Moto Z Force DROID Edition

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I went to the Verizon store and played with The Z and Z Force and compared them to my Turbo 2

The screen size is supposed to be 0.1" larger on the Z, but I'm not sure how that is since the length seems the same and the screen is thinner than the T2. Screen image quality seemed similar. As has been said in reviews, with that mongo bottom bezel why didn't they put the buttons down there??? I'll just assume there was no room to fit extra electronics.

With the regular wood back on the Force the phone felt fine and very comfortable in the hand, although when I put the battery mod on it it became unnecessarily heavy for something you'd carry around all day. I don't know how that compares to people with other phones that use Mophie cases, but I can't see carrying the phone around with the battery mod all day, nor can I see putting it on just to use it for wireless charging. It was comfortable to hold as far as size and shape, but just too heavy.

The phone seemed fast, but all brand new phones seem that way. My T2 has significant lag with a lot of things which really annoys me. I clear the cache every so often which helps some, but it's still laggy.

The camera seemed good, although it's hard to get a good sense just testing it there in the store and then not being able to send myself full res versions of the pics to compare. It should take better pics than my T2 though.

The fingerprint scanner wasn't set up, but I could tell that it reacts very fast just based on it prompting me to set it up when I touched my finger to it.

I didn't find the visible sensors on the white model to be annoying at all, certainly not any more than on my white T2, which is to say that I really don't even notice them.

With the back off and the phone sitting flat there is definitely wobble because of the camera protruding. Don't plan on doing any typing like that. I can't really see using these phones without a back on them.

I can't imagine using either the video or speaker mods myself. The store rep said he would use the projector mod for presentations or for showing movies on the side of his house outside at night. Really? Ok. I don't know when I'd use the speaker as opposed to a regular bluetooth speaker option with better sound.

So in the end... I'm not sure if it's worth the cost of the upgrade or not for me. I could probably manage without the 3.5mm jack, but I really like the wireless charging on my T2 for sitting on my nightstand at night and just grabbing it off to check things and then placing it back to charge. I also use an AirDock in my car that provides some wireless charging. I think if they came out with just a thin back that just adds wireless charging I could probably be talked into the phone. I'd be curious to know how the 3500mah battery would last in a normal day for me compared to the 3750 on my T2. I'm not sure how the faster/more efficient processor fits into that equation.

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
Re: Thoughts after playing with Moto Z Force DRIOD Edition

Having used a Mophie (among other battery cases) in the past, this Moto Mod power pack is more convenient in my eyes. Opinions will differ I'm sure, but this is much less bulky and cumbersome than a battery case. Especially having access to every single port and how quickly it can be applied/removed. And I can just drop it on my wireless charger and it charges as well. Very pleased with the power pack.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site

Having used a Mophie (among other battery cases) in the past, this Moto Mod power pack is more convenient in my eyes. Opinions will differ I'm sure, but this is much less bulky and cumbersome than a battery case. Especially having access to every single port and how quickly it can be applied/removed. And I can just drop it on my wireless charger and it charges as well. Very pleased with the power pack.

I don't doubt that it's better than a Mophie pack. I'm just used to carrying the phone naked so it is significantly heavier than I'm used to. That's more what I was meaning.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site

I get it. I normally use my devices naked as well. Never owned a Mophie case. I did buy the wireless charging mod though. It does make the device heavier than I'm used to. But since it is easier to pop on and off I have no issues. I can charge both overnight on my stand. Then if I need I'll take the mod off and pop it back on when I need more juice. Very convenient for me right now.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site

This is absolutely true. The battery mod is heavy, but it's far smaller than a Mophie case.

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site

I don't doubt that it's better than a Mophie pack. I'm just used to carrying the phone naked so it is significantly heavier than I'm used to. That's more what I was meaning.

I understand. I do as well, but if I know I'm going to be out and about for a long time, I would bring a battery case. Same will go with the power mod. 99 percent of the time it won't be attached.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site

I understand. I do as well, but if I know I'm going to be out and about for a long time, I would bring a battery case. Same will go with the power mod. 99 percent of the time it won't be attached.

This is why the mod is so awesome. You can take it on and off without turning off the phone and it's incredibly fast and easy to do so.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Well built device, but I do not like the waste of space on the front. Plenty of room for stereo speakers like the MXPE, but that would mean virtually no JBL mod sales, so I see why missing. Based on the tear down video, there would be plenty of room for front speakers and the 3.5MM jack.

I reluctantly get why no speakers (JBL sales), but zero get for lack of 3.5MM jack, unless a planned mod is a DAC with battery and 3.5MM jack. That would be a thick mod to carry though on the Force. Should have been on the device.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site

Well built device, but I do not like the waste of space on the front. Plenty of room for stereo speakers like the MXPE, but that would mean virtually no JBL mod sales, so I see why missing. Based on the tear down video, there would be plenty of room for front speakers and the 3.5MM jack.

I reluctantly get why no speakers (JBL sales), but zero get for lack of 3.5MM jack, unless a planned mod is a DAC with battery and 3.5MM jack. That would be a thick mod to carry though on the Force. Should have been on the device.

I suspect the lack of 3.5mm was just to use mostly the same hardware as the regular Z. And is there plenty of space for a speaker at the lower end of the regular Z, because I suspect that's the same rationale as well. I bet they figured out what they could cram in the super-skinny Z, then just made the case a bit bigger for the bigger battery & extra screen layers on the Force, without any thought for other features they could've made fit.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site

I think it's definitely done well for what it is. I could see maybe using it on vacation or somewhere where I'd be away from a plug for some extended period of time.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I wasn't wowed by them but I do prefer the Force, especially if one puts a glass screen protector on it. The store I was at didn't have a style shell in the display but had the other Moto mods. It certainly didn't feel like a big jump like going from the HTC Rezound to the Droid Maxx or from the Maxx to the 2015 MXPE.Those were two year jumps also. But that's the nature of cell phone advancements, unless the mods are important to you.

Last edited:

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
See for me I was looking forward to the Mods myself. I loved the overall design. The build, colors and look to me is important and they nailed it IMO.

The way I see the Mods is a great way to enhance a already great device better. I have zero issues with any of the features built into the device. I cannot wait to see what other mods become available as well.

Is the device for everyone , no. But so far I am very impressed. Hopefully this holds strong.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I may end up picking one up just to get a more fluid experience compared to my laggy Turbo2. I wonder how the battery life will be in comparison with the smaller battery.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams