Moto Z Droid Force or Galaxy Note 7?

PWav

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Read about the Note 7 today. Watched some hands-on videos. All I can say is WOW!

I was set to hunt down a Moto Z - living in the Boondocks so they aren't nearby (only a non-Force in a contract retailer) - but now I need to check out a Note 7 in person before deciding.

The Note 7 has the same SoC and battery as the Force, with a slightly larger screen. Personally I really like the tightened curved edge screen design. Plus it has 64GB internal storage, micro SD card extra storage, and USB-C charging PLUS a headphone jack, & built-in wireless charging. Some nice extra features, too, like Gorilla Glass 5, over the Force. The overall form factor seems to be about the same on both.

I think the Moto Mods concept is awesome, especially the wireless chargeable battery pack, that can be used to 'protect' the life span of the internal battery. I also got to listen to the add-on speaker Mod, and was really impressed.

Samsung pulled a shocker here!!

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Read about the Note 7 today. Watched some hands-on videos. All I can say is WOW!

I was set to hunt down a Moto Z - living in the Boondocks so they aren't nearby (only a non-Force in a contract retailer) - but now I need to check out a Note 7 in person before deciding.

The Note 7 has the same SoC and battery as the Force, with a slightly larger screen. Personally I really like the tightened curved edge screen design. Plus it has 64GB internal storage, micro SD card extra storage, and USB-C charging PLUS a headphone jack, & built-in wireless charging. Some nice extra features, too, like Gorilla Glass 5, over the Force. The overall form factor seems to be about the same on both.

I think the Moto Mods concept is awesome, especially the wireless chargeable battery pack, that can be used to 'protect' the life span of the internal battery. I also got to listen to the add-on speaker Mod, and was really impressed.

Samsung pulled a shocker here!!

Note 7 will probably get more updates, has a better camera, and of course the s pen and its features. That being said, both seem like solid devices.

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
I came from the S7 Edge which is very similar to the Note 7.

I am digging the Force because of the great battery life (same battery as the S7 Edge without the battery mod), stock software, adaptable storage, and of course the mods.

Posted via the Android Central App

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Until today I'd have said Z Force. Now I'm not so sure. I'm locked into the Z at this point, but I'm not sure it's the obvious choice. The N7 does a lot in a smaller package (check the specs, it's shorter and narrower, but not as thin). The camera is likely superior but that remains to be seen. It's waterproof. Are Moto enhancements, mods, and near-stock worth the trade?

Bear in mind that the N7 is going to cost $860, though.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
All valid points for sure. I personally was originally planning to get the Z and test it out knowing I was going to get the Note 7. Well after seeing the reveal today I am going to pass. But for me I had the S7 edge twice so it's not that different. I really truer truly enjoy the Z more.

Now my wife on the other hand who has had a iPhone the past couple years wants the Note 7 since her last Android device was the Note 4. So I'll probably do that around the holidays for her. But as for me I have zero plans unless something crazy happens.

Technified

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Z Force for me! I have a Note 5 right now. I never get the iteration of the phone that I already have. I must admit that I was waiting to hear about the Note 7 today, but after the event was over I was over it and kept my focus on getting the Z Force.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
This is what's so awesome about Android.

We have a choice.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

Stickboy46#CB

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I played with the Note last week before I picked up my Moto Z Force. Nothing really jumped out to me as "WOW" like the Moto Z did. The Note is nice. Its a very "solid" phone. Its very hefty and feels like very good build quality. I'm not a fan of the curved screen though. The edge of the screen goes right up to the edge and without a case I would be afraid that I would be constantly hitting the edge of the screen even just moving it between hands. The pen is nice, but I never used it on previous notes. Everything was very fluid in the interface, but it still has the touchwiz interface, which is way better than it used to be, but i prefer stock android.

The mods are just really exciting. I also feel like Moto built such a quality phone and actually innovated, so I want to reward them. That's just me though.

All in all, the Note is probably the best phone on every carrier except Verizon. I still feel like the Z Force is a better .... or at least more exciting phone ... than the Note. With that said, I'm keeping my Z Force, but my fiance is picking up the Note because she likes the Pen and shes on ATT.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Z Force compared to the Note 7?

I was going to go Z Force, but the new Note 7 is tempting. It has a larger screen by .2" with a smaller form factor as there are zero side bezels and a much smaller bottom bezel plus capacitive buttons instead of on screen buttons so you get to actually use the entire screen. I wonder how the 3500mah battery will fare in comparison to the Z Force since the Note has the larger screen. It also has wireless charging and there is the motomod like battery case. I hate the fingerprint prone glass rear though! It's tempting. I'm going to have to go check it out in person.

Joe378

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Re: Z Force compared to the Note 7?

Where is the motomod battery case? I just pre ordered a note 7, coming from a note 4. I was going to get the z force but wanted to stick with the note series.

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site

Since the internal specs are pretty much identical, this will probably come down to form factor for most. I expect the Z Force will have better battery life - since there's no Touchwiz to gum up the works, the screen is a bit smaller, and the fact the Z Force already has better battery life than the S7 Edge, which has the same battery as the Note 7 - but I really don't think you can go wrong with either one.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site

Where is the motomod battery case? I just pre ordered a note 7, coming from a note 4. I was going to get the z force but wanted to stick with the note series.

I saw it in the Marquis Brown youtube vid. Not sure when/where its for sale.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure how much use I'd get out of the S-pen. But since the phones just keep getting larger the smaller form factor is attractive. Perhaps I can get some form of skin to put on the back to stop the finger prints. Like previous iPhones, I don't know why they can't just have an aluminum back. No one likes fingerprints. No Moto display. I'll have to look into how their always on display is. The Note doesn't have motion sensors right? So that should save a little battery life, although trade that for the always on screen and I'm not sure which wins.

Stickboy46#CB

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure how much use I'd get out of the S-pen. But since the phones just keep getting larger the smaller form factor is attractive. Perhaps I can get some form of skin to put on the back to stop the finger prints. Like previous iPhones, I don't know why they can't just have an aluminum back. No one likes fingerprints. No Moto display. I'll have to look into how their always on display is. The Note doesn't have motion sensors right? So that should save a little battery life, although trade that for the always on screen and I'm not sure which wins.

One thing to keep in mind .. Always on display only works with Samsung apps as far as I'm aware. I didn't find a way to use 3rd party apps when i had the s7 Edge. So i use textra for my texting app and it wouldn't show up on the Always on display like it does for the Moto.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
One thing to keep in mind .. Always on display only works with Samsung apps as far as I'm aware. I didn't find a way to use 3rd party apps when i had the s7 Edge. So i use textra for my texting app and it wouldn't show up on the Always on display like it does for the Moto.

Well that's kinda sucky. So you're forced to use the Samsung texting app then? And does it matter if you change the launcher?

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site

Yeah, the way Sammy utilizes AOD renders it relatively useless. I keep thinking they're going to make significant improvements to it, but so far it's not in the same ballpark as Moto's version.

Stickboy46#CB

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Well that's kinda sucky. So you're forced to use the Samsung texting app then? And does it matter if you change the launcher?

If you want Always On Display notifications you have to use the Samsung app. I have no idea on the launcher because i didn't do that when i had it.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Had the s7 edge and the note doesn't seem like much of a upgrade. Love everything about my force.

Its technically not an upgrade of the edge. I can't think of any reason to get the note 7 over the force or any high end phone unless you're a fan of the note series. Many of the Note fans are disappointed that it doesn't have a removable battery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome