Moto Z Force Simple Review.

Joseph Coates

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
So, I fell for the modular design and close to stock android features and decided to upgrade. I picked up a Z Force on the release day, then left for a long weekend/ vacation to see what would happen. I'm not a power user, I may have 20 apps or so but I work out of two offices and on the road so I need something that is capable of doing everything, including a hot spot when needed. So, Its been almost a week and here is what I've learned.

1. Its big. Yep, I moved from a Thunderbolt, to a G2 to a G3, then to the Moto. It's big, but not unruly, won't fit in a back pocket .
2. Its more stock than I'm used to. I got used to having a lot of features that this phone doesn't have. At first, it was strange, then I realized I never used most of the stuff anyway. Simple seems better to me.
3. Display. I can read this anywhere. Indoor, outdoor, its fine.
4. Camera. Simple, not the best but far from the worst. I like the fact that it just uses Google Photo and no BS.
5. Antennae. I can connect to any wifi and the phone works fine. Data seems to be able to connect with no issue also.
6. Battery. Quite simply, its great. I can get all day and more. My first day was a fairly light day and I forgot to plug it in before bed. It had 40% in the morning. Not too shabby. When I get a mod battery, it will probably last two solid days under light use.
7. I bought an case for it and it sucks. The USB C charger is big and it charges fast, but all the cases seem to be designed for micro USB.
8. Fingerprint sensor. Just as weird as getting used to the back buttons on the LG's I owned. After about a week, I've adapted.

Overall, I'm happy so far. I'll keep updating if problems arise.

Last edited:

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
BTW, download the Google Now launcher, which should come stock but doesn't.

Isn't the stock launcher pretty similar to Google Now? What are the primary differences for you? And do Moto Gestures and Display still work with a different launcher?

Posted via the Android Central App

Joseph Coates

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
It is very similar. The app tray is white instead of black on the Google Now Launcher. With the Google Now launcher, you get the left swipe feature that puts you right into Google Now.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I use the Google launcher as well simply for the Google now screen to the far left. All of the moto features still work when using Google launcher

OP I was thinking of buying a case as well but decided that a style mod and screen protector will essentially be my "case."
Posted via the Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
BTW, download the Google Now launcher, which should come stock but doesn't.

It's funny because AOSP's stock launcher is Launcher3 but the Nexus devices use Google Now Launcher, which is just a Google-fied version of Launcher3.

The Moto Z uses Launcher3.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
So, I fell for the modular design and close to stock android features and decided to upgrade. I picked up a Z Force on the release day, then left for a long weekend/ vacation to see what would happen. I'm not a power user, I may have 20 apps or so but I work out of two offices and on the road so I need something that is capable of doing everything, including a hot spot when needed. So, Its been almost a week and here is what I've learned.

1. Its big. Yep, I moved from a Thunderbolt, to a G2 to a G3, then to the Moto. It's big, but not unruly, won't fit in a pocket big.
2. Its more stock than I'm used to. I got used to having a lot of features that this phone doesn't have. At first, it was strange, then I realized I never used most of the stuff anyway. Simple seems better to me.
3. Display. I can read this anywhere. Indoor, outdoor, its fine.
4. Camera. Simple, not the best but far from the worst. I like the fact that it just uses Google Photo and no BS.
5. Antennae. I can connect to any wifi and the phone works fine. Data seems to be able to connect with no issue also.
6. Battery. Quite simply, its great. I can get all day and more. My first day was a fairly light day and I forgot to plug it in before bed. It had 40% in the morning. Not too shabby. When I get a mod battery, it will probably last two solid days under light use.
7. I bought an case for it and it sucks. The USB C charger is big and it charges fast, but all the cases seem to be designed for micro USB.
8. Fingerprint sensor. Just as weird as getting used to the back buttons on the LG's I owned. After about a week, I've adapted.

Overall, I'm happy so far. I'll keep updating if problems arise.

You will easily go 2 or more days without charging with the battery mod.

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
It is very similar. The app tray is white instead of black on the Google Now Launcher. With the Google Now launcher, you get the left swipe feature that puts you right into Google Now.

Gotcha. Thanks. I don't use Google Now so guess I'll just stick with stock for now. I'm enjoying it as is, though I do wish it allowed for five icons, instead of only four.

kmf1

May 5, 2011
Visit site
You probably know this, but Nova Prime is a great 3rd party Launcher. I'm still using my Turbo 2 with it. Six icons across the bottom, with an actual Home screen, with a screen to the right and left as well. It's not quite as convenient to get to the Now cards, but a very nice replacement launcher.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I also added Nova Launcher to mine. Only having 4 icons/folders across the screen was driving me crazy. I have never used an outside launcher but I'm getting used to the extra stuff and enjoying it.

Other wise enjoying the phone. I like the fact that the finger print scanner also turns off the screen instead of a home button. Coming from LG it more takes the place of knock on and off. I guess if you come from Samsung it would probably drive you crazy for a little while.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I think that Launcher3 is default so they can auto-rotate the launcher due to Moto Mods.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie