OWNERS: What do you NOT LIKE about your Moto Z Force DROID?

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
The vibration is a little weak on calls. I always leave my phone on vibrate at night, and with my T2, never missed a call. Missed 2 this morning and noticed after a couple more calls today that the vibration isn't as strong as I would like.

Interesting. I love the vibration motor on this phone. It feels so... Premium.

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Interesting. I love the vibration motor on this phone. It feels so... Premium.
I agree, it feels premium, especially the haptic button press feedback, and for texts and emails as well. For some reason the ringer vibration is comparatively lighter based on first impression.

I also don't love the lack of breathing on the moto display, even if the need is somewhat nullified by the hand waving sensor.

And the security kind of makes the moto Voice less useful as well. I love the fingerprint sensor for turning the phone on and off, but don't like having to turn the phone on to take advantage of the features of moto voice. I used to have no security on my phone to avoid this issue, but I like the fingerprint sensor. I'm not worried about security. I wish they could allow access to the fingerprint sensor for just turning the phone on and off, but without the security. Unfortunately, if you disable the security, you can't retain your fingerprints simply for the function of turning the phone on and off.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I also don't love the lack of breathing on the moto display, even if the need is somewhat nullified by the hand waving sensor.

I am so glad it doesn't breath myself, I was afraid that was going to bother the hell out of me. The way it works is good, comes on when you get any kind of notice, plus it seems I wave some body part over it all the time without trying haha.

Missed an LED the first couple days but now used to it.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I gotta ask..... Sorry for a dumb question....

What do you guys mean by that the screen breathing?

Older versions of Moto Display would show the alerts (off and on) for a short period after it was initially received.

woh2

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
The ringer is in some kind of office mode where the ringer stars out very low and gradually turns up. I have looked every where I know for user settings. I missed an emergency call the other day as a result of it.

fr4nk1yn

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
Today I'm not liking how adaptive brightness makes a big difference on color representation.

With it off, and the color mode set to vibrant, it's right up there with the N7 screen. That's not really a good thing as it's, of course, over saturated especially on the reds. Standard mode however appears to have a slightly greenish tint with the more subdued coloring.

aland1

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
Yes, the case is far more slippery than my previous Droid Maxx. Dropped twice already!(only chipped edge). Just applied drops of BONDIC along each edge. This is a UV cured plastic, made small dots which help grip just enough. Do not know how long they will last. Also, new non-glass screen on the force version scratches easily. I just put on a glass screen protector (Omoton) - wish I had done that immediately. So far it looks and works fine.
Finally NO MIRACAST- not good, that system worked well for me.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I agree, it feels premium, especially the haptic button press feedback, and for texts and emails as well. For some reason the ringer vibration is comparatively lighter based on first impression.

And the security kind of makes the moto Voice less useful as well. I love the fingerprint sensor for turning the phone on and off, but don't like having to turn the phone on to take advantage of the features of moto voice. I used to have no security on my phone to avoid this issue, but I like the fingerprint sensor. I'm not worried about security. I wish they could allow access to the fingerprint sensor for just turning the phone on and off, but without the security. Unfortunately, if you disable the security, you can't retain your fingerprints simply for the function of turning the phone on and off.

Sounds like you need to set up some trusted places / devices, which will let you keep security but have the always listening commands work, so long as you're connected to trusted wifi or device.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I don't like that when I use Google maps/GPS it turns on wifi scanning. Then when finished I shut off GPS but have to remember to shut off wifi scanning. It stays on and I wish it wouldn't.

But I can live with that. It's the only thing I don't like so far.

I know this isn't the phone but there seems to be a lot of dust that gets behind the Otterbox screen. I find myself having to take it apart about every 3 days on average. Didn't have that problem with my original turbo.

Last edited:

fr4nk1yn

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm resurrecting this thread because this one drives me nuts.
When the screen is on and the phone is in hand I get phantom swipes and presses. The edges, up to the bezels, are extremely sensitive.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
When the screen is on and the phone is in hand I get phantom swipes and presses. The edges, up to the bezels, are extremely sensitive.

I haven't noticed that, but I do have a bumper case on, maybe that helps?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I'm not seeing this issue.

Jimmy10mm

Sep 19, 2016
Visit site
Having had a Droid Razr for a couple of years, followed by the vastly improved RazrMaxxHD for another couple of years, I'm used to the top button turning the screen on, the button underneath for volume. What possessed Motorola to have two volume buttons at the top, and the turn on button underneath is a mystery to me. Taking awhile but I'm getting used to it, even an old dog can sometimes learn new tricks.

How slippery the 'wood' back plate is. When I first bought the phone (at the store) they were out of the leather back plate, so I opted for an Evo Check case protector. Fits well, very grippy, and the plug for the charger fit after the rubber stretched a bit. To begin with I had to undo the bottom of the case to plug in the charger, but that resolved itself within a few days. The edges of the glass are protected as the Evo Check wraps over them a bit. Even though the glass is guaranteed against breakage for 4 years, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

The volume could be better on calls. I find I have to use the speaker phone, as I did on the two razrs that preceded this device. Overall I'm very happy with it. Wider and taller than the razr maxx, but the larger view, larger keyboard, make up for that , and I've already gotten used to the size.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Having had a Droid Razr for a couple of years, followed by the vastly improved RazrMaxxHD for another couple of years, I'm used to the top button turning the screen on, the button underneath for volume. What possessed Motorola to have two volume buttons at the top, and the turn on button underneath is a mystery to me. Taking awhile but I'm getting used to it, even an old dog can sometimes learn new tricks.

Just asking because I have seen this complaint before but don't really understand the issue. I came from a couple LGs so was used to the button on the back by the way.

How often do you use the power button? Do you power off your phone often? The reason I ask is that is the only reason I use the power button.

To turn the screen on and off I always use the thumb print sensor so I really don't understand.