08-28-2017 04:20 PM
27 12
tools
    Wireless Display Casting (Miracast) is not working on my new Moto Z Force. I have tried it with two different displays and both are not showing up under the nearby devices. The devices show up under WiFi Direct settings but it will not allow me to connect and display there. Worked fine on my Droid Turbo 2 but no luck with the Z. Was this feature removed?
    08-04-2016 09:15 AM
    Try a Miracast app. Maybe that will help. If I remember I will try it later. I can't do it now.
    08-04-2016 09:43 AM
    Looks like it should support Miracast. This is from the manual:

Wireless display
    Mirror your phone’s screen on an HDTV without anycords—with minimal setup.
    Find it: Tap Apps > Settings > Display > Cast
    Your phone scans for compatible wireless display devices. Select a device to show your phone’s screen on the big screen. Wireless display requires either a Miracast™-enabled HDTV or a wireless display adapter to work. If your TV or monitor doesn’t support wireless display, you can purchase a Miracast or Chromecast™ accessory device to enable it. Tip: To quickly find a wireless display device, swipe the statusbar down with two fingers and tap Cast.
    08-04-2016 10:26 AM
    08-04-2016 11:32 AM
    Yeah doesn't look like it is supported. I thought it was on the OS level but I guess not.
    08-04-2016 11:59 AM
    It's very odd that they would say it works in the manual & have it not work. Perhaps a bug that could be fixed in a future update...
    08-04-2016 03:40 PM
    Tried as well. No luck. Thought maybe a separate app would work but no dice. It appears as if a software update might solve the issue. Let's see if it happens. The cast option is there it just don't work.
    08-04-2016 05:01 PM
    I have an Android TV and it works perfectly for me.
    08-06-2016 10:04 PM
    I have an Android TV and it works perfectly for me.
    That probably uses the ChromeCast standard, though, doesn't it? Which is different from Miracast.
    08-07-2016 07:06 PM
    Tried as well. No luck. Thought maybe a separate app would work but no dice. It appears as if a software update might solve the issue. Let's see if it happens. The cast option is there it just don't work.
    Correct, downloaded some miracast aps, they all lead me back to the "cast" app in my moto z play. Can anyone help? Is this cast thing also the miracast?
    11-12-2016 12:56 PM
    So far, Miracast does not work.
    11-14-2016 09:39 AM
    Motorola needs to update the manual and remove Miracast references.
    benjamminh and Tommy5725 like this.
    11-15-2016 12:18 PM
    for android 7 also does not work
    12-06-2016 01:41 PM
    This soooo sucks.

Has anyone rooted their device and tried modifying the build.prop file?

Note: This isn't limited to Moto Zs. Google Pixel, Nexus 6P, and many others running Android 6+ has lost the ability to use Miracast, even though the hardware supports it. On the Nexus 6P, rooting and modifying the build.prop file has enabled the feature.

There was even a petition on change.org to get Google to re-enable Miracast support. But was rejected by Google.

This really sucks for me as I have several devices that supports Miracast, but I don't have Chromecast, and I don't want to purchase a dozen Chromecasts.
    Tommy5725 likes this.
    01-25-2017 09:30 AM
    This soooo sucks.

Has anyone rooted their device and tried modifying the build.prop file?

Note: This isn't limited to Moto Zs. Google Pixel, Nexus 6P, and many others running Android 6+ has lost the ability to use Miracast, even though the hardware supports it. On the Nexus 6P, rooting and modifying the build.prop file has enabled the feature.

There was even a petition on change.org to get Google to re-enable Miracast support. But was rejected by Google.

This really sucks for me as I have several devices that supports Miracast, but I don't have Chromecast, and I don't want to purchase a dozen Chromecasts.
    Switch to a phone that has the feature you want.
    ShinyTop and Tommy5725 like this.
    01-25-2017 07:49 PM
    I agree, this is NOT acceptable. I will drop this phone very quickly if this functionality is not restored.
    If only OnePlus would make CDMA/Verizon phones!
    01-28-2017 07:33 PM
    I agree, this is NOT acceptable. I will drop this phone very quickly if this functionality is not restored.
    If only OnePlus would make CDMA/Verizon phones!
    It's been months without a resolution.

Drop away.
    ShinyTop and mobrules like this.
    01-28-2017 08:21 PM
    Yeah, Miracast hasn't worked since day one (even though it's mentioned in the manual). There's no indication they'll make it work, so if that's a deal breaker, you'll have to look at another phone.
    01-29-2017 05:44 PM
    I too am missing Miracast. From reading this read I understand that this can be easily fixed by Moto. The reason Android is such a great operating system is freedom. Not being forced to buy additional items to gain functionality. I have used Miracast with my G4 and it works flawlessly to stream NHL games to my TV or projector. Are there other ways to accomplish this? Yes. But why??? It feels like they would like to see me purchase the projector mod or a Chromecast. Those products are great I am sure of it. But the phone HAS the functionality to make Miracast work, what benefit does it provide to the end user by simply switching it off? NONE. I hope someone from Moto reads this. TURN MIRACAST BACK ON. Please.
    02-27-2017 12:09 AM
    Is it possible that your Smart TV has an app you can download to your phone so you can cast stuff from your phone to your TV?
    jesta192 likes this.
    02-27-2017 09:51 AM
    You can Enable Miracast on Moto Z Play but your device has to be rooted.It can be done by editing a line in your build.prop

Here is the full Guide to Enable Miracast On Moto Z Play > [Full Guide] How To Enable Miracast on Moto Z Play
    benjamminh likes this.
    03-09-2017 05:57 AM
    You can Enable Miracast on Moto Z Play but your device has to be rooted.It can be done by editing a line in your build.prop

Here is the full Guide to Enable Miracast On Moto Z Play > [Full Guide] How To Enable Miracast on Moto Z Play
    For those of us w/o root, is there a way execute the same change through the ADB?
    03-11-2017 12:41 PM
    I see that that casting is still unresolved. I was told I could cast when I bought the Moto Z. I have been aggressively posting in protest Moto's Facebook page. I dont the have internet at my home or abroad. I bought a Chromecast and found that it needs a network for paring As someone said Android was a choice many made because we want/allow choices. Unfortunately as it seems Moto and Google want to make money through a doggle. Ok, well I bought one. Let's connect like my Moto Maxx 2 did with a temporary hotspot. There is a temporary hotspot that's secured when connecting the Moto Z and the doggle during setup. Once paired the hotspot is gone. Frustrated!
    03-17-2017 10:50 PM
    I have a Chromecast on my TV, and it's connected to my LAN. My Z Force has no trouble casting to it. The Chromecast and my phone might need a LAN to connect them, but I don't see that as a problem.
    04-08-2017 10:27 PM
    I have a Chromecast on my TV, and it's connected to my LAN. My Z Force has no trouble casting to it. The Chromecast and my phone might need a LAN to connect them, but I don't see that as a problem.
    But why one should buy a separate device when the phone's hardware already supports miracast?
    08-13-2017 11:46 PM
27 12