Does Moto Z Have Miracast?

uribees

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Wireless Display Casting (Miracast) is not working on my new Moto Z Force. I have tried it with two different displays and both are not showing up under the nearby devices. The devices show up under WiFi Direct settings but it will not allow me to connect and display there. Worked fine on my Droid Turbo 2 but no luck with the Z. Was this feature removed?

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Looks like it should support Miracast. This is from the manual:

Wireless display
Mirror your phone’s screen on an HDTV without anycords—with minimal setup.
Find it: Tap Apps > Settings > Display > Cast
Your phone scans for compatible wireless display devices. Select a device to show your phone’s screen on the big screen. Wireless display requires either a Miracast™-enabled HDTV or a wireless display adapter to work. If your TV or monitor doesn’t support wireless display, you can purchase a Miracast or Chromecast™ accessory device to enable it. Tip: To quickly find a wireless display device, swipe the statusbar down with two fingers and tap Cast.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
It's very odd that they would say it works in the manual & have it not work. Perhaps a bug that could be fixed in a future update...

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Tried as well. No luck. Thought maybe a separate app would work but no dice. It appears as if a software update might solve the issue. Let's see if it happens. The cast option is there it just don't work.

Trunx69

Nov 12, 2016
Visit site
Tried as well. No luck. Thought maybe a separate app would work but no dice. It appears as if a software update might solve the issue. Let's see if it happens. The cast option is there it just don't work.

Correct, downloaded some miracast aps, they all lead me back to the "cast" app in my moto z play. Can anyone help? Is this cast thing also the miracast?

HeyRadar

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This soooo sucks.

Has anyone rooted their device and tried modifying the build.prop file?

Note: This isn't limited to Moto Zs. Google Pixel, Nexus 6P, and many others running Android 6+ has lost the ability to use Miracast, even though the hardware supports it. On the Nexus 6P, rooting and modifying the build.prop file has enabled the feature.

There was even a petition on change.org to get Google to re-enable Miracast support. But was rejected by Google.

This really sucks for me as I have several devices that supports Miracast, but I don't have Chromecast, and I don't want to purchase a dozen Chromecasts.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
This soooo sucks.

Has anyone rooted their device and tried modifying the build.prop file?

Note: This isn't limited to Moto Zs. Google Pixel, Nexus 6P, and many others running Android 6+ has lost the ability to use Miracast, even though the hardware supports it. On the Nexus 6P, rooting and modifying the build.prop file has enabled the feature.

There was even a petition on change.org to get Google to re-enable Miracast support. But was rejected by Google.

This really sucks for me as I have several devices that supports Miracast, but I don't have Chromecast, and I don't want to purchase a dozen Chromecasts.

Switch to a phone that has the feature you want.

Tommy5725

Jan 13, 2017
Visit site
I agree, this is NOT acceptable. I will drop this phone very quickly if this functionality is not restored.
If only OnePlus would make CDMA/Verizon phones!

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I agree, this is NOT acceptable. I will drop this phone very quickly if this functionality is not restored.
If only OnePlus would make CDMA/Verizon phones!

It's been months without a resolution.

Drop away.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, Miracast hasn't worked since day one (even though it's mentioned in the manual). There's no indication they'll make it work, so if that's a deal breaker, you'll have to look at another phone.

Craig Wilkinson2

Feb 27, 2017
Visit site
I too am missing Miracast. From reading this read I understand that this can be easily fixed by Moto. The reason Android is such a great operating system is freedom. Not being forced to buy additional items to gain functionality. I have used Miracast with my G4 and it works flawlessly to stream NHL games to my TV or projector. Are there other ways to accomplish this? Yes. But why??? It feels like they would like to see me purchase the projector mod or a Chromecast. Those products are great I am sure of it. But the phone HAS the functionality to make Miracast work, what benefit does it provide to the end user by simply switching it off? NONE. I hope someone from Moto reads this. TURN MIRACAST BACK ON. Please.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Is it possible that your Smart TV has an app you can download to your phone so you can cast stuff from your phone to your TV?