04-07-2017 09:35 PM
34 12
tools
    I use a 64GB Samsung PRO+ microSD card as Portable storage. I don't trust Adoptable storage, even with a fast card.
    I can understand that. I can just confirm it has been rock solid for 4 months for me on the U3 card.
    03-29-2017 10:02 AM
    How about the new Lexar 1000x or 1800x cards? Surely no lag at these speeds?

1000x - up to 150MB/s read, 90MB/s write
    1800x - up to 270MB/s read, 110MB/s write

microSD
    04-02-2017 05:23 AM
    Also worth noting from the link in my previous post that the 1800x 64GB is even faster. I can't imagine there being any lag at all at these speeds.

64GB—up to 270MB/s read, 250MB/s write
    04-04-2017 01:15 PM
    Can't you store photos, video, and audio to SD cards when you format as portable?
    In general, yes, but it will depend on what apps you use and how as to whether that's a good option. I use Google Photos and Play Music, and each has a setting to save their music/photos/videos to the SD card (non-adoptable storage), so that works great for me and those types of media. Some people may prefer other apps that don't mange their files as well, or give that particular option.
    04-04-2017 03:17 PM
    In general, yes, but it will depend on what apps you use and how as to whether that's a good option. I use Google Photos and Play Music, and each has a setting to save their music/photos/videos to the SD card (non-adoptable storage), so that works great for me and those types of media. Some people may prefer other apps that don't mange their files as well, or give that particular option.
    This is not a criticism, but I do want to make sure that my post was read in context as a reply to garak0410 who said that the 32 GB of internal storage was not enough for the photos/videos he takes. Adopted storage is one answer if you have an SD card, but clearly, if the issue is only photos and videos (and even audio files), an SD card formatted as portable storage would work for that use case. And it would give you the advantage that you could unmount it and connect to a computer to sync content...

I could also see an argument for adopted storage if you are using the Netflix or Amazon Video apps to download offline content for future viewing when you know you'll have no network connection. But, even then, you can change the settings to use portable storage. (The fact that it doesn't default that way is too bad, though.)
    YAYTech likes this.
    04-04-2017 03:44 PM
    This is not a criticism, but I do want to make sure that my post was read in context as a reply to garak0410 who said that the 32 GB of internal storage was not enough for the photos/videos he takes. Adopted storage is one answer if you have an SD card, but clearly, if the issue is only photos and videos (and even audio files), an SD card formatted as portable storage would work for that use case. And it would give you the advantage that you could unmount it and connect to a computer to sync content...

I could also see an argument for adopted storage if you are using the Netflix or Amazon Video apps to download offline content for future viewing when you know you'll have no network connection. But, even then, you can change the settings to use portable storage. (The fact that it doesn't default that way is too bad, though.)
    Exactly - many apps let you use portable storage for the media files, so most of the time adoptable stage isn't need. Since he didn't state the exact apps he's using, I wasn't going to assume.
    04-04-2017 03:48 PM

Netflix now allows you to download to a storage card.
    04-05-2017 12:41 AM
    Netflix now allows you to download to a storage card.
    So does Amazon. That's what I meant when I said "you can change the settings to use portable storage".
    04-05-2017 06:32 AM
    04-07-2017 09:35 PM
34 12