Google Messenger vs Verizon Messages

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I typically use Verizon messages on my phones. It comes preloaded and has a ton of features. One of my particular favorites is the ability to search for pictures and gifs from within the app rather than google searching, downloading, and then attaching media. I tried Google Messenger and I like the simplicity and speed however the above example was way to cumbersome so switched back to VZ messages.

What are you using?

bpe4

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I use VZ Message+ as well... Awesome app with a ton of features. Not sure why any VZ customer would want to use anything else. Full featured, fully customizable, and fully integrated with your VZ account.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Currently using Google Messenger; I don't allow Verizon to have access to any more data than absolutely necessary because Verizon sells user data to third parties. Obviously either way, as the carrier, they have access to both the content and meta data, but using their apps to search, etc. also provides them access to more information than if they're just the dumb carrier for sms/mms. I think Verizon put out a really good app for messages, just can't trust them to behave with it.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I use hangouts, as there are a number of people I chat with through Hangouts instead of SMS, and it's nice to have everything in one app.

Technified

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I use VZ Message+ as well... Awesome app with a ton of features. Not sure why any VZ customer would want to use anything else. Full featured, fully customizable, and fully integrated with your VZ account.

I use VZ Message+ too! I said the same thing about why vzw customers would want to use anything else! It's an awesome app. Everytime I try to go use a different app I always end up going back to VZ Message+!

Posted via the Android Central App

emanwis

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
You've all convinced me to give it a try. The first thing I did when I got the phone was to switch sms to Google messenger. I'll give Verizon's a few days and see how I like it.

Photo_Drew

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
I'll use it on my tablet to text but prefer Google messenger. If you need to go back through pictures you can swipe back through them.

fr4nk1yn

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
Currently using Google Messenger; I don't allow Verizon to have access to any more data than absolutely necessary because Verizon sells user data to third parties.
I'm glad someone else mentioned this besides me.

Verizon Terms and Conditions said:
The Verizon Messages app collects and uses your device’s advertising identifier. Advertising identifiers are used, for example, to enhance advertising in the in-app search experience and are shared within the Verizon family of companies, including AOL, to help make advertising more relevant on the devices you use. This search capability is provided by Yahoo!, and search information and advertising identifiers are collected and used by both Verizon and Yahoo!

Glympse Privacy Policy said:
When you visit our website or use our mobile apps, Glympse and our service provider partners may collect certain information about your computer or device through technologies such as cookies, beacons, tags, and scripts. Types of partners that utilize tracking technologies include analytics providers, customer support services, and marketing service providers. These technologies are used in analyzing trends, administering the Site and Service, providing customer support, understanding product quality and usability, and gathering demographic information about our user base as a whole. We may receive reports based on the use of these technologies by these companies on an individual as well as aggregated basis.

We partner with a third party to either display advertising on our Web site or within our apps or to manage our advertising on other sites or within other apps. Our third party partner may use technologies such as cookies to gather information about your activities on this site or within our app and on other sites or within other apps in order to provide you advertising based upon your browsing activities and interests.

As true of most web sites, we gather certain information automatically and store it in log files. This information may include internet protocol (IP) addresses, browser type, internet service provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, operating system, date/time stamp, and/or clickstream data.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm glad someone else mentioned this besides me.

I'm also referring to the sale of customer personal data (names, addresses, phone numbers, employment data, income information, etc) to third parties, including the Experian and TransUnion credit bureaus and other third parties.

Sorry, not trying to derail the thread, because I think it's a good app, I just can't ignore who's behind the curtain.

fr4nk1yn

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm also referring to the sale of customer personal data (names, addresses, phone numbers, employment data, income information, etc) to third parties, including the Experian and TransUnion credit bureaus and other third parties.

Sorry, not trying to derail the thread, because I think it's a good app, I just can't ignore who's behind the curtain.

Indeed. That's more of a Verizon thing though, The privacy for the app is troubling alone.

bpe4

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Wow.. you fellas are right. Better to use Google Messenger because Google would NEVER use your data and user history to enhance targeted advertising on any of its websites. (I hope you can sense the dripping sarcasm).

Let's face it fellas... blaming Verizon for doing the same thing that Google does makes no sense. Until you stop using a carrier's device, and switch to using 2 tin cans connected via a string to talk to your best buddy, you will be at the absolute mercy of 'the man' (whether it's Google or VZ) using your user/habit data.

And Aqulla, you really need to read about any company's use of CPNI data. Verizon can't sell the data you mentioned (names, addresses, phone numbers, employment data, income information.) That is protected by the FCC. But it can 'share' your usage data unless you OPT OUT.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ntType=Legal+Notice&textId=181&token=MZJwUNd5

Last edited:

Technified

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Wow.. you fellas are right. Better to use Google Messenger because Google would NEVER use your data and user history to enhance targeted advertising on any of its websites. (I hope you can sense the dripping sarcasm).

Let's face it fellas... blaming Verizon for doing the same thing that Google does makes no sense. Until you stop using a carrier's device, and switch to using 2 tin cans connected via a string to talk to your best buddy, you will be at the absolute mercy of 'the man' (whether it's Google or VZ) using your user/habit data.

And Aqulla, you really need to read about any company's use of CPNI data. Verizon can't sell the data you mentioned (names, addresses, phone numbers, employment data, income information.) That is protected by the FCC. But it can 'share' your usage data unless you OPT OUT.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ntType=Legal+Notice&textId=181&token=m3imZ0c7

This is the winner of the best post of the day! You hit it on the nail with this one!

2 tin cans and a string=priceless! Lol

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Message+. I like that all of my messages sync over Verizon Cloud, so when I switch phones, which I often do, my messages are saved on the cloud and I can restore them.

masseurca

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Message+. I like that all of my messages sync over Verizon Cloud, so when I switch phones, which I often do, my messages are saved on the cloud and I can restore them.

That happens with any SMS app if you have Verizon Cloud.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Legal Notice - Customer Proprietary Network Information (CPNI) for Consumers

Google doesn't sell user data. Verizon does. They sell it at least to credit bureaus and collection agencies; I know this for a fact because I've been involved in several of those trades. Verizon was completely willing to sell data for the creation of a universal "skip trace" database that had enhanced data capabilities useful for creating analytical data modeling of the propensity to pay for specific users that could be run up against debt that Verizon, AT&T, DirecTV, Dish Network, AOL (prior to being owned by Verizon), Capital One, CitiBank, many national healthcare providers and others were selling. This information included everything that was on the Verizon billing account except for the first 4 digits of the social security number or taxpayer identification number - those first 4 digits were hashed. All of the other companies I just listed also sell that user data. Verizon, Citibank and TransUnion were the three biggest third party partners in the creation of that database, which is the primary database utilized in third party collections and debt purchase collections for "high volume" collections, which includes student loan debts and healthcare.

Google does not do these things; so why are you saying I'm accusing Verizon of doing things that Google does?

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
And who here uses Facebook that pretty much sees everything you do on the app.

Everyone is collecting data now.

Anyone use VZW messages with Android wear?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke