Shattershield worries me

xweb10

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I have a Turbo and did not move to the Turbo 2 because of my fear of the ShatterShield tech. Everything I have read indicates that the top layer of the screen is plastic and scratches easily. My Turbo is naked and has never been scratched. I feel that it is odd to expect to put a glass screen protector on top of the ShatterShield tech just to stop it from scratching.

I am hoping for some real life usage tales. If I keep the phone in my pocket (sans keys) would I have issues? Is the top plastic layer not as smooth as glass?

Joseph Coates

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Mine scratched and I ended up getting a screen shield within the month. This is the first phone I've ever had scratch and was one of the few disappointments I've had with the device.

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Non issue really. Zagg isn't expensive and sticks on well. I'd put it on any other phone to keep scratches out for resale so this is no different.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Non issue really. Zagg isn't expensive and sticks on well. I'd put it on any other phone to keep scratches out for resale so this is no different.

Agreed. I'd rather have a screen with a screen protector that won't shatter vs a screen without one that will.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
2 options:

- use it naked & replace the shattershield top lens (~$30) whenever it gets bad enough to bother you. If you're deeply OCD this could get pricey.
- throw on your preferred screen protector. Some of the glass ones cover the full screen, and it's hard to tell they're there if installed properly.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
The biggest difference between the T2 screen and the Force screen is that the Force screen actually looks good while the T2 screen was dim.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Get the Z or Z Play if you don't want to put a screen protector on the Z Force.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
It's not dated, just this year's middle speced CPU and gpu. Now whether anyone experiences a difference probably depends on their usage and their perceptions.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I would imagine the Z Play camera would not be as good as the Z camera, which isn't as good as the Z Force camera. But again, how big a difference is subjective.

xweb10

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
..so not dated.
I will reword... It is not as up to date as the Z or Z Force. Lesser processor, lesser RAM, lesser camera, lesser screen. Not terrible by any means, but since I tend to keep my device for 2 years I try to get the most up to date specs when I buy.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I will reword... It is not as up to date as the Z or Z Force. Lesser processor, lesser RAM, lesser camera, lesser screen. Not terrible by any means, but since I tend to keep my device for 2 years I try to get the most up to date specs when I buy.
Still doesn't make sense because it's specs are current for its price point.

chemgeek

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I do not do anything special with my phone. Carry it in a pocket all day, just not with sharp objects, change, etc. No issues with scratching. However, the plastic coating is a dust magnet in your pocket! I didn't have that problem with the Droid Maxx, which had a glass screen.

TigerCourage

May 31, 2011
Visit site
I have a Turbo and did not move to the Turbo 2 because of my fear of the ShatterShield tech. Everything I have read indicates that the top layer of the screen is plastic and scratches easily. My Turbo is naked and has never been scratched. I feel that it is odd to expect to put a glass screen protector on top of the ShatterShield tech just to stop it from scratching.

I am hoping for some real life usage tales. If I keep the phone in my pocket (sans keys) would I have issues? Is the top plastic layer not as smooth as glass?

Just look for airglass on Amazon, cheap, durable, no fingerprints. You won't even notice you have a screen protector on. Best solution IMO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance