10-26-2016 06:13 AM
30 12
tools
    I have a Turbo and did not move to the Turbo 2 because of my fear of the ShatterShield tech. Everything I have read indicates that the top layer of the screen is plastic and scratches easily. My Turbo is naked and has never been scratched. I feel that it is odd to expect to put a glass screen protector on top of the ShatterShield tech just to stop it from scratching.

I am hoping for some real life usage tales. If I keep the phone in my pocket (sans keys) would I have issues? Is the top plastic layer not as smooth as glass?
    09-01-2016 03:46 PM
    Mine scratched and I ended up getting a screen shield within the month. This is the first phone I've ever had scratch and was one of the few disappointments I've had with the device.
    xweb10 likes this.
    09-01-2016 04:34 PM
    Non issue really. Zagg isn't expensive and sticks on well. I'd put it on any other phone to keep scratches out for resale so this is no different.
    09-01-2016 06:56 PM
    Non issue really. Zagg isn't expensive and sticks on well. I'd put it on any other phone to keep scratches out for resale so this is no different.
    Agreed. I'd rather have a screen with a screen protector that won't shatter vs a screen without one that will.
    Connert and benjamminh like this.
    09-01-2016 07:45 PM
    2 options:

- use it naked & replace the shattershield top lens (~$30) whenever it gets bad enough to bother you. If you're deeply OCD this could get pricey.
    - throw on your preferred screen protector. Some of the glass ones cover the full screen, and it's hard to tell they're there if installed properly.
    benjamminh likes this.
    09-01-2016 07:55 PM
    The biggest difference between the T2 screen and the Force screen is that the Force screen actually looks good while the T2 screen was dim.
    cbironman24 likes this.
    09-01-2016 07:59 PM
    The biggest difference between the T2 screen and the Force screen is that the Force screen actually looks good while the T2 screen was dim.
    I agree with this.
    09-01-2016 11:02 PM
    Get the Z or Z Play if you don't want to put a screen protector on the Z Force.
    benjamminh likes this.
    09-02-2016 12:21 AM
    Get the Z or Z Play if you don't want to put a screen protector on the Z Force.
    That is an option. I like the battery of the force and play, but the play is slower and a bit dated hardware wise.
    09-03-2016 01:37 AM
    That is an option. I like the battery of the force and play, but the play is slower and a bit dated hardware wise.
    Dated how?
    09-03-2016 02:23 PM
    It's not dated, just this year's middle speced CPU and gpu. Now whether anyone experiences a difference probably depends on their usage and their perceptions.
    09-03-2016 02:44 PM
    ^^ This
    09-03-2016 07:56 PM
    ^^ This
    ..so not dated.
    09-03-2016 08:05 PM
    I would imagine the Z Play camera would not be as good as the Z camera, which isn't as good as the Z Force camera. But again, how big a difference is subjective.
    09-03-2016 09:23 PM
    ..so not dated.
    I will reword... It is not as up to date as the Z or Z Force. Lesser processor, lesser RAM, lesser camera, lesser screen. Not terrible by any means, but since I tend to keep my device for 2 years I try to get the most up to date specs when I buy.
    09-03-2016 11:09 PM
    I will reword... It is not as up to date as the Z or Z Force. Lesser processor, lesser RAM, lesser camera, lesser screen. Not terrible by any means, but since I tend to keep my device for 2 years I try to get the most up to date specs when I buy.
    Still doesn't make sense because it's specs are current for its price point.
    09-04-2016 12:27 AM
    Still doesn't make sense because it's specs are current for its price point.
    You are correct. For its price point.
    09-04-2016 12:48 AM
    I do not do anything special with my phone. Carry it in a pocket all day, just not with sharp objects, change, etc. No issues with scratching. However, the plastic coating is a dust magnet in your pocket! I didn't have that problem with the Droid Maxx, which had a glass screen.
    anon(9227267) likes this.
    10-05-2016 11:15 PM
    I have a Turbo and did not move to the Turbo 2 because of my fear of the ShatterShield tech. Everything I have read indicates that the top layer of the screen is plastic and scratches easily. My Turbo is naked and has never been scratched. I feel that it is odd to expect to put a glass screen protector on top of the ShatterShield tech just to stop it from scratching.

I am hoping for some real life usage tales. If I keep the phone in my pocket (sans keys) would I have issues? Is the top plastic layer not as smooth as glass?
    Just look for airglass on Amazon, cheap, durable, no fingerprints. You won't even notice you have a screen protector on. Best solution IMO
    xweb10 likes this.
    10-06-2016 03:02 AM
    My husband put a glass protector on his because his scratches easily.
    xweb10 likes this.
    10-06-2016 11:17 AM
    After owning the DT2 I learned my lesson. When getting the Force, first thing I did was a screen protector.
    benjamminh likes this.
    10-08-2016 07:01 AM

The shattershield is one of the reasons I stayed away from this phone. Would have preferred GG4.
    10-10-2016 12:40 PM
    I have the Zagg glass protector on mine, which is great, but honestly it scratches pretty much just as easily as the Shattershield top layer. I've had mine for about 2 months and it has a bunch of micro scratches. I had my T2 for almost a year and it scratched at about the same date with no cover on it.
    10-10-2016 02:08 PM
    I have the Zagg glass protector on mine, which is great, but honestly it scratches pretty much just as easily as the Shattershield top layer. I've had mine for about 2 months and it has a bunch of micro scratches. I had my T2 for almost a year and it scratched at about the same date with no cover on it.
    Huh... I hadn't paid attention, but you're right - my Zagg has a handful of minor scratches too. I'll probably leave it alone for another 6mo or so & then buy another protector, one that goes around the top sensors & is harder to tell there's a protector installed. Should have plenty of options & reviews on Amazon by then. Or I can try to take advantage of Zagg's warranty...
    10-10-2016 02:45 PM
    Huh... I hadn't paid attention, but you're right - my Zagg has a handful of minor scratches too. I'll probably leave it alone for another 6mo or so & then buy another protector, one that goes around the top sensors & is harder to tell there's a protector installed. Should have plenty of options & reviews on Amazon by then. Or I can try to take advantage of Zagg's warranty...
    Yeah I'll wait it out until it really bothers me, and then I'll take advantage of the warrantee for sure.

They're very minor scratches but present nonetheless, and honestly no different than what I was experiencing on my T2 throughout the year I used it as my daily driver.
    10-10-2016 06:54 PM
30 12