09-16-2016 06:21 PM
31 12
tools
    I am trying to decide what to do about my Note 7, and right now, it seems my main 2 choices are a Galaxy S7E or the Moto Z Force. I am really upset I have to make a choice in the first place, but that is how it goes.

So my question to the Moto folks is how they like their phone. Besides the stylus, what will I lose by going from the Note to your chosen phone?

What gotchas do I need to consider?

Thanks in advance!
    09-14-2016 01:26 PM
    I am trying to decide what to do about my Note 7, and right now, it seems my main 2 choices are a Galaxy S7E or the Moto Z Force. I am really upset I have to make a choice in the first place, but that is how it goes.

So my question to the Moto folks is how they like their phone. Besides the stylus, what will I lose by going from the Note to your chosen phone?

Thanks in advance!
    I returned my Note 7 and purchased the Z Force and I really like this phone. Only dislike is although a big phone, actual screen space is smaller than comparing to Note 7. I plan to keep this phone for a while.
    09-14-2016 02:02 PM
    There's a few bells and whistles you'll leave behind coming to a moto z. I also had an s7e but sold it to get the z force. I'm happier with the z force. Fingerprint sensor is faster and easier to use. It also locks the device. Battery life is extremely fulfilling. Yesterday I had 4.5 hours of on screen time with 22% left. That was after a day of heavy use. Unplugged at 6am. Camera is nice and the mods are awesome.

If you have any specific questions. Feel free to ask.
    09-14-2016 02:02 PM
    You also gain some bells & whistles, though. Customizable always listening phrase, twist for camera, chop for flashlight. I was working on a customer's home theatre system this morning & did the chop for flashlight, and he was in awe. He mostly uses his smartphone for basic stuff. Being able to instantly turn on the flashlight without looking at the phone is super useful, and he was pretty jealous. lol

People have also consistently said the Z is a smoother operating phone, and makes the Note 7 look laggy.
    09-14-2016 02:41 PM
    There's a few bells and whistles you'll leave behind coming to a moto z. I also had an s7e but sold it to get the z force. I'm happier with the z force. Fingerprint sensor is faster and easier to use. It also locks the device. Battery life is extremely fulfilling. Yesterday I had 4.5 hours of on screen time with 22% left. That was after a day of heavy use. Unplugged at 6am. Camera is nice and the mods are awesome.

One of my biggest concerns is lack of updates. Also, how visible is the screen in full sun? Also, I have a Macbook as my main computer ( I know, but there is one piece of software I have to use and it only runs on a Mac). Any idea if I can move files back and forth? Samsung had Sidesync that helped with that.

Thanks.
    09-14-2016 03:01 PM
    One of my biggest concerns is lack of updates. Also, how visible is the screen in full sun? Also, I have a Macbook as my main computer ( I know, but there is one piece of software I have to use and it only runs on a Mac). Any idea if I can move files back and forth? Samsung had Sidesync that helped with that.

Thanks.
    Sunlight doesn't seem to be an issue for me. But I can test it shortly.
    Updates. I don't know. Marshmallow isn't bad at all. I don't mind the extended time if it's needed.
    Download "android file transfer" I have a windows 10 laptop so connectivity isn't an issue. My wife has a MacBook and that is when I use android file transfer.
    09-14-2016 03:26 PM
    I had the Note 7, the S7 Edge and now the Moto Z Force. Each of them have pros and cons but really, none of them are bad phones. For me, I really liked the speed of the Moto Z (BIG, HUGE difference), the Moto Mods (fun and cool) and the Moto Gestures (or whatever they're called). I wish the Droid was waterproof and dustproof (not a deal breaker) and that its camera was on the same level as Samsung's - particularly with focus speed. I know there are reviews out there that indicate the Moto Z is on the same level; I don't agree. I know there are several other minor (to me) differences - screen quality, battery life (a wash), etc. For me none of them move the meter enough to sway my decision.

Overall though, I really like the Moto Z more than the other two. It may boil down to personal preferences, I'm not a troll and certainly am not trying to instigate but would recommend the Moto Z over any of the Samsung phones on the market today any day of the week to anybody.
    benjamminh likes this.
    09-14-2016 03:49 PM
    I just swapped my Note 7 for the Z Force this afternoon with Verizon. The guys in the Corporate Store were very helpful. I have a business account with 37 lines so they know me (definitely not my first visit with them).

When I came in and said I'd like to go ahead and get out of the Note 7, the first thing they ask was what would I like to try out until the Note 7 was re-released. I had already been doing a little research and decided to give the Z Force a try. I also got the Battery Mod and the JBL Soundboost was half off due to a deal they have going (second mod 50% off).

I'm taking the attitude that I'm going to keep the Z Force instead of going back to the Note. This is hard for me, I've had every Note except the original. I'm liking the Z Force so far but all I've done so far is the initial setup. I will say, as I installed SwiftKey, Nova Prime, and several other apps, the experience kept getting better and better. I'm sure just the familiarity with my preferences make it better. But now I can play around with something new for a week or two (who knows) and get a real feel for it before I have to make a decision.

I just have to know if I've been drinking the Samsung Kool-aid too long.
    09-14-2016 04:26 PM

Thanks in advance!
    Can you get a phone on the 14 day trial deal?

If so, try the ZForce to see how you like it. If you do fine, if not, get the S7E, sounds like you have some familiarity with Samsung phones.

Good Luck, hope you can get a phone that fits your need/wants
    09-14-2016 05:25 PM
    I am very extreme on disabling bloat ware and unnecessary apps......but I'll just post a couple battery use screens hots from gsam. I hope it helps you or anyone else make a decision. But no matter what I am extremely happy with mine. The second one is with the battery mod on and set in efficiency mode. Trying to Decide on What to Replace Note 7 With-1473894153939.jpgTrying to Decide on What to Replace Note 7 With-1473894179100.jpg
    09-14-2016 06:03 PM
    I am very extreme on disabling bloat ware and unnecessary apps......but I'll just post a couple battery use screens hots from gsam. I hope it helps you or anyone else make a decision. But no matter what I am extremely happy with mine. The second one is with the battery mod on and set in efficiency mode.]
    Are you running the Tumi or Incipio mod?
    09-14-2016 07:56 PM
    Why is your app usage so low? What are you using your screen for?
    09-14-2016 08:11 PM
    Are you running the Tumi or Incipio mod?
    Incipio. But I honestly don't think it matters. Without the battery mod I go almost 2 days without trying.

I'm not sure which one so don't quote me on this but I think Incipio actually makes the Tami mod....or its the other way around. Maybe someone else knows.
    09-14-2016 08:32 PM
    Why is your app usage so low? What are you using your screen for?
    I disable apps from running in the background. I figure why would I want an app running if I'm not using it. It's not for everyone. I know I'm in the extreme minority that stretches battery life as far as I can. I only post that to show just how amazing this phone is.
    sicario666 likes this.
    09-14-2016 08:38 PM
    I am very extreme on disabling bloat ware and unnecessary apps......but I'll just post a couple battery use screens hots from gsam. I hope it helps you or anyone else make a decision. But no matter what I am extremely happy with mine. The second one is with the battery mod on and set in efficiency mode. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1473894153939.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	239442Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1473894179100.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	239443
    Very impressive!
    09-14-2016 08:49 PM
    I disable apps from running in the background. I figure why would I want an app running if I'm not using it. It's not for everyone. I know I'm in the extreme minority that stretches battery life as far as I can. I only post that to show just how amazing this phone is.
    You're not alone. I do the same types of things.
    mobrules likes this.
    09-14-2016 08:52 PM
    What do you use, greenify? Your screen still has to be using some app. Anyway, I'm impressed.
    09-14-2016 09:34 PM
    What do you use, greenify? Your screen still has to be using some app. Anyway, I'm impressed.
    I've never tried it sorry. I've seen other posts about it being good. I manually shut stuff down. At night from about 10 pm to 6 am I shut off 4g. Dim the screen and don't sync anything during those hours. I also went into each app and restrict the background data. I started out just looking at the chart of app usage and which ever one was a battery hog gets restricted.

I used to use Tasker but from lollipop on the ability to do all that was disabled.

If I'm at work I also shut down 4g. Texts and calls still come through without issues. Most everything I need to look at during those hours is available on my laptop.

I think, don't hold me to it, that was over a weekend. So there I'm connected to a 4g network extender. It doesn't have to search for a signal so that helps a lot. I also go I to location settings and tap the 3 dot in the upper right hand corner and shut off wifi scanning. I don't use wifi at all. I still have an unlimited plan and since I pay for it I'm going to use it.

I'm glad to share if you have any questions at all. Either post here, I check daily, or PM me. I hope that helps some.

Maybe I'll give greenify a try and see what that does. I gave up on that battery cycle simply because I was bored. But I would put down money it would have gone 3 days.

Edit: Bright screens bother me so I usually have that turned way down also. Not sure this was the information you were looking for but if not feel free to tell me.
    09-14-2016 09:52 PM
    I won't troll other forums but sometimes I think it's funny when I look at them and see someone post how happy they are to get 12 hours. I always think to myself if they only knew.......
    09-14-2016 10:01 PM
    Id get an s7/s7 edge.
    09-14-2016 10:06 PM
    I've had both the s7 and s7 edge. Now I have the Z Force. Two words for me are the difference. Software interface. Moto Z Force blows Samsung software interface away. I know for sure bc I tried my hardest to stay with Samsung but in the end it's choppy and sticky. Moto is seamless and smooth. If this is a factor for you, I highly suggest the Z Force. You wont regret it. Probably the best phone I've had ever.
    mobrules and KoukiFC3S like this.
    09-14-2016 10:23 PM
    If battery life is your priority, get the moto z force. I use the battery Mod and I honestly I go to sleep with the battery Mod having some life left and my phone still at 80%. I can literally go 2 days of full usage on this phone without remotely thinking about a charger. And I'm a heavy user - about 4hrs SOT a day and usually around 3 hours of phone calls.

And then every other aspect of this phone is rock solid. Smoothest interface of any android phone I've used without a doubt.
    mobrules and benjamminh like this.
    09-14-2016 10:30 PM
    I went ahead and got the Z Force yesterday. My Verizon store was out of the s7E's, which was really my only other option at this point. I have some questions that I will post in a separate thread.

My initial reactions are mixed. It is certainly a different way to do things. Not necessarily bad, just different and I am struggling in getting used to them. In some ways, the Note spoiled me, but hopefully this will spoil me in other ways.

I got the battery mod, and what I can say is that it really makes the phone thicker and heavier. I will have to see if I can get used to that as I have some wrist issues. Maybe it can be my wrist exercise routine.
    09-15-2016 09:56 AM
    Also, I have a Macbook as my main computer ( I know, but there is one piece of software I have to use and it only runs on a Mac). Any idea if I can move files back and forth? Samsung had Sidesync that helped with that.
    With Android File Transfer, yes - https://www.android.com/filetransfer/ - though I always did this sort of stuff wirelessly myself.

And, yes, the app is kind of crappy.

(I would be apologizing if I was still using Windows myself. What a complete pile of junk that crap is. The best decision I ever made was switching to Mac for good 9+ years ago.)
    09-15-2016 10:52 AM
    With Android File Transfer, yes - https://www.android.com/filetransfer/ - though I always did this sort of stuff wirelessly myself.

And, yes, the app is kind of crappy.

(I would be apologizing if I was still using Windows myself. What a complete pile of junk that crap is. The best decision I ever made was switching to Mac for good 9+ years ago.)
    I have had to support both, so I have to be "bilingual" so to speak. I am a firm believer in whatever platform works for you, but since I am in IT and most of my colleagues hate anything Apple, I usually throw in the caveat about needing to run a particular piece of software. It helps curtail side arguments.
    09-15-2016 10:58 AM
31 12