Couple of Days With the Phone and A Question About Volume

wgragg

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I have had the phone for a couple of days and there are things I really like about it. It is a good phone. Pretty zippy and some of my issues are related to just having to learn the way Android does things. My Note 7 seemed kind of like the iphone of the Android world in that it assumed a lot of things for you and in a sense that spoiled me. I'm having to go through that learning curve of finding the right apps to accomplish things. Where I used to be pretty happy with the stock apps on the Note, there either aren't any in some areas, or the stock apps (especially email) sucks canal water an this one.

The two issues I am struggling with right now is the screen size (which no one can do anything about) and volume. Believe it or not, that extra screen size on the Note 7 made a pretty big difference, at least to me. I have some eye issues and the extra real estate and the sharpness of the screen were a boon.

The other issue, and this is the one I have a question about is the volume. It just does not seem as loud as my Note. I have missed several text messages because of that. Is there a way to bypass the default maximum and up the output on the speaker for things like ringtones and messages? I suspect there isn't, but I though I would ask.

My decision now, over the next few days is to decide if these issues are enough of a problem for me to go back to the Note 7 now that they are going to be available. This is certainly not a diss on the phone. It is just trying to figure out what is best for me.

Thanks.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
You are correct about the volume for notifications. Several people have had that problem. It seems like it's gotten worse after a recent update. I don't know if there's an app that can help with that. I would hope they would push another update to fix it.

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
You are correct about the volume for notifications. Several people have had that problem. It seems like it's gotten worse after a recent update. I don't know if there's an app that can help with that. I would hope they would push another update to fix it.
Volume is my only gripe about this device

jeepentj

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Given the fact that it actually got worse in the last update, I would have to think it would have to be addressed in a future update. It sure seems like it's a bug that should be relatively easily fixed. Or at least I hope so...

jesta192

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I've found that sometimes downloading a louder ringtone will do the trick. Zedge has several ringtones and/or notification sounds which could be loud enough for you.

Jimmy10mm

Sep 19, 2016
Visit site
I don't have a solution, but I too find the volume lacking. Maybe it is a Motorola thing, but the Droid RazrMaxx HD I've used the past couple of years suffered from the same shortcoming. With the Moto Z, as with the aforementioned Razr, I have to use speaker phone to comfortably use the phone. Maybe my 67 year old ears have something to do with it. Anyway, don't feel like the Lone Ranger.

dby2011

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
That's interesting. Was reading the Moto forums and people are complaining about low notifications sounds on the new Moto G phones after a recent update. It may be a Motorola thing.

wgragg

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
As much as I hate to say it, I am afraid I am going to have to return the phone and get a Note 7 back. On looking and commenting on the Moto forum, Motorola won't even acknowledge there is a problem, so I have no confidence they will fix the issue. Most of the other things I can work around, but this is pretty much a deal breaker for me. I have missed numerous important texts because of this and can't just get past it. It is just too bad that a simple software update caused this and too bad that we can't simply roll back updates.

Tomorrow is the first day I can get a Note replacement, so won't make a final decision until tomorrow morning, but as it stands now, I will have to turn it back in.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
As much as I hate to say it, I am afraid I am going to have to return the phone and get a Note 7 back. On looking and commenting on the Moto forum, Motorola won't even acknowledge there is a problem, so I have no confidence they will fix the issue. Most of the other things I can work around, but this is pretty much a deal breaker for me. I have missed numerous important texts because of this and can't just get past it. It is just too bad that a simple software update caused this and too bad that we can't simply roll back updates.

Tomorrow is the first day I can get a Note replacement, so won't make a final decision until tomorrow morning, but as it stands now, I will have to turn it back in.

Have you looked into volume booster apps like osubeavs728 suggested?

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I totally understand your thought and I agree it's concerning that the issue was not addressed or acknowledged on the Moto forum, especially with it seeming to be a simple fix.

wgragg

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I can't see how the volume boosters can override the phone firmware or OS. From what I was reading, most of them just quickly raise the volume to the maximum as defined by the phone software. I will try a couple tonight, but I also notice many are simply ad vectors.

wgragg

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I totally understand your thought and I agree it's concerning that the issue was not addressed or acknowledged on the Moto forum, especially with it seeming to be a simple fix.

One would think so. From what I can see, Moto is trying to blame Google, when it was working fine before Moto's update. Then you have the built in delay that Verizon puts on any update. Who knows, they may have already put a fix out there, but Verizon is doing their usual slow walk to the public. I rather think they probably have not actually coded a fix for it, though.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I can't see how the volume boosters can override the phone firmware or OS. From what I was reading, most of them just quickly raise the volume to the maximum as defined by the phone software. I will try a couple tonight, but I also notice many are simply ad vectors.
Please share what apps and how you feel they worked. I've considered doing the same just haven't found the time. Thank you.