Fix for tiny chip in metal frame

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
My phone fell from like 6 inches today. Not sure if it hit a little debris on the ground or what, but I was very surprised to see a tiny dent/chip in the frame on the top right corner.

Does anyone know if the metal frame is painted or if that's the color of the metal, and the material on its own?

The color I have is the black lunar grey model.

Anyone have an option for a good paint? Honestly, it's so tiny and looks like a slight discoloration more than anything else, but I'm kind of ocd, so I would love to try and fix it if possible.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I imagine it has to be paint, not the material, since there are 3 different color frames and I doubt they'd use 3 different materials. No idea where to get properly matching paint, though. Could get a vinyl wrap to cover it and protect from future little nicks.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
You can get a plastic liquid filler for the dent to fill it in and smooth it out one dried. Any AutoZone will have touch up paint to match well enough to blend it in. This is what I would do. Sorry to hear about your phone man.

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I imagine it has to be paint, not the material, since there are 3 different color frames and I doubt they'd use 3 different materials. No idea where to get properly matching paint, though. Could get a vinyl wrap to cover it and protect from future little nicks.
Yeah I agree with that logic for sure. It must be paint. Thank you

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
You can get a plastic liquid filler for the dent to fill it in and smooth it out one dried. Any AutoZone will have touch up paint to match well enough to blend it in. This is what I would do. Sorry to hear about your phone man.

Thank you, I'll check on that. Sounds like a good idea. Any recommendations for a specific product?

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
I've seen some at Walmart, AutoZone and advance auto parts. Also check any hardware stores. Home depot or Lowe's. Just a small tube of some sort of filler that hardens or cures after it sets up a few minutes to an hour. Don't get the concrete or metal. I would try and find a liquid plastic or hardened rubber filler. There is also a paste where you can apply the divit yourself and then just run your finger over it to flush it out. Then all you have left to do is just touch it up and truthfully, I'd just find a sharpie color that closely matches and dab it until it blends. You might find touch up enamel paint but it may be costly. I'd lean towards the paste filler so it can be formed to the divit so much easier. Let it dry and then hunt for the color after. You may even find a paste filler that's dark and won't have to paint. One thing about the paint is it will seal the filler in which probably isn't a bad idea as the filler could chip out later if not solidified by something. You have a pic of the damage? Also get some of the finest grain sand paper you can get to smooth it out before touch up. Hope this helps and let us know how you come out.

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I've seen some at Walmart, AutoZone and advance auto parts. Also check any hardware stores. Home depot or Lowe's. Just a small tube of some sort of filler that hardens or cures after it sets up a few minutes to an hour. Don't get the concrete or metal. I would try and find a liquid plastic or hardened rubber filler. There is also a paste where you can apply the divit yourself and then just run your finger over it to flush it out. Then all you have left to do is just touch it up and truthfully, I'd just find a sharpie color that closely matches and dab it until it blends. You might find touch up enamel paint but it may be costly. I'd lean towards the paste filler so it can be formed to the divit so much easier. Let it dry and then hunt for the color after. You may even find a paste filler that's dark and won't have to paint. One thing about the paint is it will seal the filler in which probably isn't a bad idea as the filler could chip out later if not solidified by something. You have a pic of the damage? Also get some of the finest grain sand paper you can get to smooth it out before touch up. Hope this helps and let us know how you come out.
Much appreciated! Honestly it's really tiny. I'm almost embarrassed to take a photo of it. I wouldn't even call it a divot. I'm actually trying to figure out if it needs any filler at all or if it just needs to be painted.

I'll do some shopping and send a before an after.

Thank you!

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
I know how you feel. It would bother me too. I collect high end watches and although I wear them, they are as new as the day I got them. I'm a fanatic about keeping things like new and also keeping all boxes and paperwork with my phones too. Adds value if you ever resale any of it. I know lots of people who just toss their boxes away. I in no way could do that. I just store them all away. Hope you get it fixed or well enough that you don't notice it anymore.

NHS2008

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
Much appreciated! Honestly it's really tiny. I'm almost embarrassed to take a photo of it. I wouldn't even call it a divot. I'm actually trying to figure out if it needs any filler at all or if it just needs to be painted.

I'll do some shopping and send a before an after.

Thank you!

So did you fix it? IMG_20171217_175749.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nayminthuyain888