Considering a Moto Z Force. Have some questions.

ralvy

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I have a Note 3 and was going to upgrade to Note 7. Don't need to say much more on that, obviously. After doing a lot reading online, I feel like I'm narrowing choices down to the Moto Z Force. I have a few questions ...

1. If I don't care about the Mods, do you feel this phone stands alone without Mods as a good choice? Its specs impress me, independent of the Mods.

2. Do you feel the ShatterShield screen makes installing a protective case unnecessary? I realize that a case will make using Mods unrealistic, but I don't think I'll be using any of them. Still, it would be nice to finally have a phone that doesn't need a protective case.

3. From what I've read here, it looks like the ShatterShield glass will still need a screen protector. Do you agree?

4. Any former Samsung users here (especially former Note users) who now use a Moto Z Force? Any culture shock I should be aware of?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I have a Note 3 and was going to upgrade to Note 7. Don't need to say much more on that, obviously. After doing a lot reading online, I feel like I'm narrowing choices down to the Moto Z Force. I have a few questions ...

1. If I don't care about the Mods, do you feel this phone stands alone without Mods as a good choice? Its specs impress me, independent of the Mods.

2. Do you feel the ShatterShield screen makes installing a protective case unnecessary? I realize that a case will make using Mods unrealistic, but I don't think I'll be using any of them. Still, it would be nice to finally have a phone that doesn't need a protective case.

3. From what I've read here, it looks like the ShatterShield glass will still need a screen protector. Do you agree?

4. Any former Samsung users here (especially former Note users) who now use a Moto Z Force? Any culture shock I should be aware of?

1. I only have Style Shells right now (I swap between the Charcoal Ash wood that ships with the black DROID and the Crimson Ballistic Nylon). The battery life is amazing so I don't need the battery mod right now and I have a ZTE Spro 2 Android projector (review coming soon) that's way better than the Moto Insta-Share Projector.

2. ShatterShield scratches easily. Put a screen protector on it. ShatterShield doesn't protect anything else. See Phil destroying Android Central's Moto Z Force Droid review unit.

3. IMO, yes.

4. "Stock" Android interface. There will be some bells and whistles that Samsung adds that you may like that won't be on the Moto Z Force Droid.

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Welcome,

The Z Force would be a great choice.

#1 I truly believe the Z Force stands on its own without the mods. They are a bonus. I have the battery mod with wireless charging and have used it the first day to see how it would work for me. Definitely happy to have it for when I'm in the middle of a big project but haven't used it again since day one. Battery life is very good and turbo charge is very fast.

#2/3 I have the black Verizon bumper to protect the frame (I don't always use it) and the Verizon flexible glass screen protector. I really enjoy the piece of mind the ShatterShield provides.

Edit: I have the leather style shell back, strongly recommend it. Very nice feel and look.

#4 I had every Note other than the original and that edge Note that came out a few years ago. I switched to the Z Force when I turned in the Note 7 on the first battery issue and never went back. After playing with the Z Force for a day or two I was sold. So smooth and fast, I never really understood why people would say the Note had lag until I spent a few days with the very close to stock Android Z Force. I ran in to a few things I thought were Android that ended up being Samsung TW. Nothing that I would call a problem at all, mostly just finding a different way to do the same thing. Sometimes just needed to find an app to do the same thing. Very few (2 or 3) of these, nothing I have issue with.

ralvy

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Connert,

Thanks for the reply. Do feel the Bumper offers much shock absorption? That is, enough to prevent destroying the phone like that mentioned by Ry above? I have used Otterbox products so far for shock absorption.

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I think it's plenty of protection. If you watch the video of Phil dropping the Z Force on a sidewalk, it took 5 times face down from a good 5.5 to 6' before the phone stopped working. Even then the screen never cracked. I think a heavy case is overkill on this device. I use the bumper or nothing at all. I have the bumper to protect the metal frame and I believe it will absorb the shock of most drops.

Phil's drop test.
https://youtu.be/V_P9ktlwi0c

Last edited:

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
It's an awesome device. I have the Incipio battery mod. Although you don't really need it. The battery life itself is amazing. More than likely will improve when we get nougat. Just as stated above, there will be bells and whistles that won't be on this device coming from a Samsung device. All in all... You won't miss them

elvee68

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
I would definitely consider a screen protector.
Mods are just a plus, the Force is awesome as is.
Battery is not an issue as it easily lasts all day
I use use the Incipio DualPro case on mine and doesn't add that much bulk to the phone. The lip on front keeps the screen from touching any surface and the camera lens is just slightly recessed on the back.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Connert,

Thanks for the reply. Do feel the Bumper offers much shock absorption? That is, enough to prevent destroying the phone like that mentioned by Ry above? I have used Otterbox products so far for shock absorption.
I have mine in an Otterbox Defender. I tried a cheap gel case and the Verizon bumper case mentioned above. Nothing wrong with either. I just couldn't adjust to not having a brick in my hand.

The phone is awesome and battery life is amazing. I have posted somewhere in these threads screen grabs showing almost 3 days with the battery mod. I typically have 50-70% at the end of a day, depending on signal strength and usage.

ralvy

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
All these replies have been very helpful. I'm now considering how I'm going to reproduce what I was occasionally doing with my Note 3: using a stylus to take a quick note. I think I'll invest in a stylus for my pocket for this.

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
All these replies have been very helpful. I'm now considering how I'm going to reproduce what I was occasionally doing with my Note 3: using a stylus to take a quick note. I think I'll invest in a stylus for my pocket for this.
This is the only part of the Note I miss. I used the spen as part of my everyday life.

I had to train myself to just type out the notes I would take otherwise. I'm going to recommend Google Keep for this. I set up labels and added the chrome extension to my desktop. I'm also learning to use Google now with voice input and set up some of my notes as reminders. Google keep is the best way to keep notes across devices, although you will have to train yourself to type them out.

BTW, I also tried using a capacitive stylus. You will hate it. It will not even come close to meeting your expectations. But good luck.

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
So can you use the leather back style shell and the bumper case simultaneously?
Yes. I have the Verizon branded bumper case. It allows you to use the mods. Although I never even use it. I didn't like the added bulk... Not that it was much, but I like the feel of the naked z.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Yes. I have the Verizon branded bumper case. It allows you to use the mods. Although I never even use it. I didn't like the added bulk... Not that it was much, but I like the feel of the naked z.
I've always gone naked until I got my Droid Turbo with the ballistic nylon back. I thought it was a bit too slippery for safety so I got a thin TPU case. If I got a Z Force I would get the leather back and try it naked to start. If I found it too slippery I would want to add a minimalist case to add some grip.

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
I've always gone naked until I got my Droid Turbo with the ballistic nylon back. I thought it was a bit too slippery for safety so I got a thin TPU case. If I got a Z Force I would get the leather back and try it naked to start. If I found it too slippery I would want to add a minimalist case to add some grip.
The shell that comes with it has a small amount of grip to it. It's not bad. Once I got the Incipio battery mod... It added a really nice feel and grip to the device. But I do really like the light feel and minimal thickness of using a simple shell mod.

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
i too am considering a Moto Z Force. I have a Samsung S7 Edge, but I was about to jump to the Note 7. Previously I had a Droid Maxx and original Droid Turbo. Both of those I loved, but wanted something in a Note size.

I am a power user and I crush the battery on everything I use, so the Z Force with the battery mod is appealing.

One thing that used to be an issue with the Droid Turbo was the earpiece volume. When making an actual phone call, the people could hear me fine, but at times it was hard to hear people from the Droid ear piece. Any one notice that issue with the Z Force?

i never had those issues with a Samsung

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I have the leather back and bumper. I'm not currently using the bumper. I like the feel of the device with out the bumper also. I do use the bumper from time to time when I think in could use the added protection.

I believe you will really like the leather back and find it not to be slippery. To me it's a very good feel and look. Makes me wonder why anyone would choose glass or aluminum as a preferred material on a premium phone. If moto made a glass or brushed aluminum style shell, I have to think no one would buy it, why would you when you have leather as an option.

ralvy

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
This is the only part of the Note I miss. I used the spen as part of my everyday life ...
BTW, I also tried using a capacitive stylus. You will hate it. It will not even come close to meeting your expectations. But good luck.

Well, I just ordered a capacitive stylus with a 5mm writing tip, from Amazon. I'll see if I can live with it. I'll experiment on my Note 3.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Other than Verizon, can this phone be used on Tmobile or a different carrier? Thanks.

All Verizon phones (these days) are carrier unlocked, so there's nothing to prevent taking it to another carrier. I would double check the antennas to be sure the device supports the carrier's signals though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers