Hello all,

My Moto X 2013 DE has seen better days and is ready for retirement. I have finally decided that the Moto Z Force Droid is the one for me. I just have a quick question which I have tried searching but cannot find the answer to.

My wife and I honeymooned in Ireland this past January. I got a prepaid sim card in Ireland and had full functionality on my Moto X. We are planning on going back to Ireland in the next year or two. I would like to use it for local calling to hotels and GPS Navigation (Cheaper than rental car GPS). Will the Moto Z Force droid have full functionality with a prepaid sim card in Ireland or does it not have that capability?

I appreciate all assistance.

Thanks,
    Sean
    10-17-2016 06:18 AM
    It should, but that depends on which network you get your card from (and of course, that the phone is unlocked). The site below shows that it is compatible with all of Ireland's networks on 2G and 3G, but only some networks are compatible with 4G (and in only a few bands, so it's up to you to check which bands are used in the areas you'll be visiting). Also, check the networks limitations: some companies impose restrictions to 3G-Only, etc. to prepaid cards or roaming phones.
    WillMyPhoneWork.net - Check if your phone works on a network

My suggestion? If you'll use it just for calls, it'll work. For GPS, save yourself the prepaid card money and download Ireland as an Offline area in Google Maps. Done! No data needed to use for navigation (NOTE: Not sure that turn-by-turn navigation will work Offline; IIRC it's limited on some areas). If the phone supports WiFi calling, you can even save yourself the roaming/long distance charges by piggybacking off any WiFi to make calls (coffee shops, hotels, airport, restaurants, etc.).
    Laura Knotek and Connert like this.
    10-17-2016 07:31 AM
    Yes, like the Moto X DE, the Z Force is also not SIM locked, so you can put in a local SIM from an Irish mobile network, and uses the same nano SIM size as the Moto X did. As SpookDroid says, you may not get LTE connectivity, but there are more LTE bands supported with the Moto Z Force Droid Edition than with the 2013 Moto X.
    10-17-2016 09:35 AM
    Awesome. I really appreciate the info. It is a great help. I was worried it would be sim locked but it is great to hear that it is not. Thank you for the help.
    10-17-2016 05:43 PM
    Awesome. I really appreciate the info. It is a great help. I was worried it would be sim locked but it is great to hear that it is not. Thank you for the help.
    Because of the rules of the auction that Verizon Wireless won to get the band that they use for LTE, they are not allowed to SIM lock any of their devices that use that LTE band (band 13, 700 MHz) - which all of their phones use. VZW phones are never SIM locked - one of the best things about buying one from Verizon.

Enjoy the trip!
    10-17-2016 07:45 PM