Z Force Camera?

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Just curious, what made you switch from the S7 Edge to the Force (S7 Edge is also something I'm considering)?

i change phones a lot. i have had the Edge since launch, so March maybe? I was planning on getting the Note 7 and of course that didn't work out. So I already had the bug to switch phones. I tried the V20, and it just wasn't for me. Went back to the S7 Edge in less than 24 hours.

less than 24 hours in, I'm pretty sure I'm keeping this Z Force. Get the Verizon Flexible Glass screen protector, and the Best Buy deal and it is pretty amazing. Seems Moto/Google has done some improvements since I last had a Droid Turbo. Keyboard seems better, the number row pops up automatically for passwords, they added a Clear option in the recent apps menu.

I also will find some good uses for the mods.

QBert

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
i change phones a lot. i have had the Edge since launch, so March maybe? I was planning on getting the Note 7 and of course that didn't work out. So I already had the bug to switch phones. I tried the V20, and it just wasn't for me. Went back to the S7 Edge in less than 24 hours.

less than 24 hours in, I'm pretty sure I'm keeping this Z Force. Get the Verizon Flexible Glass screen protector, and the Best Buy deal and it is pretty amazing. Seems Moto/Google has done some improvements since I last had a Droid Turbo. Keyboard seems better, the number row pops up automatically for passwords, they added a Clear option in the recent apps menu.

I also will find some good uses for the mods.

Yeah, coming from a Note 4 I was looking forward to the Note 7, but, well, you know...

Did you get the Best Buy deal with the speaker and battery mods and the BB gift card? That seems like a great deal.

Thanks for your thoughts on the 2 phones - I appreciate the help!

ASD Dad

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
I was pleasantly surprised by the camera and it was high on my list of needs with 3 kids. I had a LG G4, Moto X Pure and Nexus 5x to compare it with and my wife had the iPhone 6 and now the 7. The G4 had way more controls and tweaks available which is nice (I also shoot with a DSLR and micro 4/3) but 9/10 times with my phone I want to grab and just shoot, not tweak. If I want those shots for a Christmas card I take out my big cameras. In full auto mode I would say the Z Force compares very well with the iPhone 7 and is better than the others in overall usage. iPhones still manage to do color balance really well as far as getting it "correct". It is not muted nor is it punchy like a Samsung phone. The low light shots are fine for every day use and sharing with the OIS helping a ton. You can get some pretty slow shutter speeds to let in enough light and still have a clear shot if you hold well.

From my usage I would say the Z Force is better than all other than iPhone 7. The 5x was pretty decent but is sloooow, especially with HDR on. The MXPE was just OK even brand new. You could get shots that were OK on FB but dont blow them up at all. The G4 is just showing it's age. When new I was blown away, now it just sort of decent.

I'm heading to Disney for a week and I want to really compare the Z Force vs. my wifes iPhone 7. We'll be in bright sun to indoors to full night for shots. I am trying to avoid bringing my Olympus 4/3 to the parks if I can.

ASD Dad

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the info. How is the Z Force for capturing action and motion (i.e. kids running around?)

Well... no phone camera does all that great for fast motion. If you are outside in bright light with the phone picking a nice fast shutter than sure. Sometimes you sort of need to anticipate the shot a bit. I have a fast 4 yr old boy and I get a lot of motion blur unless in full sun. I tend to get that with any phone though. One thing that can help is just hold down the shutter button. It will keep on firing and one shot may work better than the rest. I do that with my DSLR as well.

Indoors you need a manual camera app so you can pick a faster shutter to avoid blur but then you run into dark shots with too little light getting to the sensor. OIS does nothing for capturing movement, it just helps combat your hand moving when taking a photo of a still object.

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, coming from a Note 4 I was looking forward to the Note 7, but, well, you know...

Did you get the Best Buy deal with the speaker and battery mods and the BB gift card? That seems like a great deal.

Thanks for your thoughts on the 2 phones - I appreciate the help!

I did get the Best Buy deal, that really was the tipping point.

I am really impressed with the JBL speaker. Works perfect for my use case. I work close to home, so I come home for a quick lunch. Nice to just slap the mod on and listen to some tunes or a podcast.

And I have taken more pics today, they seem "darker" than the S7 Edge, but quality has been top notch

kmf1

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Great pictures. Is it my imagination, or does the camera have to "think" a little longer before the shutter engages at 21 MP than at 16 MP? It seemed that way this past weekend. I want to take a serious look at the Hasselblad camera mod to see just how responsive the dedicated shutter button really is.

robinhelenehebert

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Great pictures. Is it my imagination, or does the camera have to "think" a little longer before the shutter engages at 21 MP than at 16 MP? It seemed that way this past weekend. I want to take a serious look at the Hasselblad camera mod to see just how responsive the dedicated shutter button really is.

I've seen that. Also see a bluish filter before it focuses sometimes. The Pixel had that

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I have the Pixel and Moto Z Force Droid right now and trying to decide between the two. I was sent the 5" Pixel and it is too small but been on a back order for my Pixel XL for over a month now. I simply need 5.5" and need it fast, so test driving a Moto Z.

I would attach some camera samples but for some reason, the AC forums are rejecting my photos from my Z Force Droid...they simply do not upload or appear. The Pixel photos, no problem...WHen I try to upload a Z Force Photo, it almost crashes AC...LOL

Last edited:

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I would attach some camera samples but for some reason, the AC forums are rejecting my photos from my Z Force Droid...they simply do not upload or appear. The Pixel photos, no problem...WHen I try to upload a Z Force Photo, it almost crashes AC...LOL

Pixel uses a 12MP sensor. Z-Force uses a 21MP sensor. It could be that the Z-Force images are too large for Android Central?

BTW, I like having a larger sensor, gives you more detail and the ability to crop images to zoom in. I'd gladly trade off some low light performance for added resolution.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome