Comparison: Z Force and Pixel XL

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Would you call the colors rich if they're changing the actual colors of the subject? I wouldn't like that, but that's just me.

I'm on the opposite side with the FPS, I prefer it 100x more than on the front. I always felt that tapping the front sensor required awkward hand and thumb angles.

I have both, and have much preferred the camera, in hand feel, styling, and fps on the XL. But that won't stop me from switching back and forth every now and again.

Overall though, good on ya for putting this together.
I think it's all personal preference and taste. For me both devices handle the day to day task so well, it becomes a matter of which device you just happen to like the most. For example your preference of a back mount FPS is completely the opposite of my preference. Isn't it great to have such awesome devices to choose from, all within the same OS?

AustinAggie

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Connert - Thanks a ton for this post - very helpful. I'm trying to make this same decision right now without actually being able to use either phone other than in-store demos.

What were your thoughts on the quality of the radios - cellular? wifi? Call quality? My experience with motorola phones in the past is this has been a strength, and I would guess it is better than the Pixel XL, but what did you think?

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Anandtech just posted their Pixel review and it was a big pile of meh. Meh screen, meh performance, very good camera. I was shocked how pedestrian the Pixels were in benchmarks. I know they don't always correspond to actual use, but the Z Force blows it out of the water.

AustinAggie

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Anandtech just posted their Pixel review and it was a big pile of meh. Meh screen, meh performance, very good camera. I was shocked how pedestrian the Pixels were in benchmarks. I know they don't always correspond to actual use, but the Z Force blows it out of the water.

Almost every single other reviewer has commented on how snappy the Pixels are - noticeably more performant in every day use. I put more stock in that type of input than I do benchmarks. They don't capture stutter/lag in every day use well, which, for me, has a much bigger impact on how I use the phone.

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Almost every single other reviewer has commented on how snappy the Pixels are - noticeably more performant in every day use. I put more stock in that type of input than I do benchmarks. They don't capture stutter/lag in every day use well, which, for me, has a much bigger impact on how I use the phone.
Maybe over most phones but the z-force is ridiculously snappy. I played with a pixel at the store and didn't notice it being at all snappier than the force. The force has no lag at all. It's easily the best performing phone I've ever owned.

Last edited:

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Connert - Thanks a ton for this post - very helpful. I'm trying to make this same decision right now without actually being able to use either phone other than in-store demos.

What were your thoughts on the quality of the radios - cellular? wifi? Call quality? My experience with motorola phones in the past is this has been a strength, and I would guess it is better than the Pixel XL, but what did you think?
First, you're welcome. I had a lot of fun putting this together.

Second, the phones are on par with each other as far as build quality in my opinion. Both seem very well built.

The battery life was good on both and would get me through a normal day without issue.

The radios on both seem to be very good in my area. I have a few spots that Verizon struggles to keep me connected and both devices did a good job. I didn't drop any calls and these are the areas I would have lost a call. My Note 7 would almost always drop a call in these locations.

The decision for me came down to a couple of personal likes or dislikes. For example, I couldn't wait to get back to my Z Force after a week of trying to get use to the rear mount FPS on the Pixel XL.

Photo quality and functionality were the other major differences. Both took great pictures and both struggled at times in my opinion. If you're trying to capture a little one running around the house and that's a major issue in your selection, you're going to want the Pixel XL. It is very fast from the time you open the camera to the time you have taken the photo. It Z Force is no slouch, but can't compare.

As for quality, both are very good but different. The Pixel is a bit more true to the situation but I don't think that's always a good thing. If you look back at the photos in the comparison, the early morning shot of my very red truck looks very orange in the Pixel photo and much more true to its red in the Z Force shot. The Pixel photo is more accurate to the situation, but the Z is much more accurate to the subject of the photo. I also personally like the deeper, richer color of the Z Force in the other photos as well. This is all VERY SUBJECTIVE.

In the end, I had to go back to the Z Force. However, as it ends up, my Son got the Pixel XL as an upgrade from his Note 4 and couldn't be happier. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

I just had to go with the front FPS, ability to use the battery mod (major projects on the horizon), and the piece of mind I get from the ShatterShield.

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I honestly didn't see any real life difference. Both are very fast and smooth. I didn't experience any hiccups from either device. The day to day performance is great in both.

Last edited:

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm really considering the Moto Z Force over my Pixel. My story begins with the Note 7:

Two Note 7 recalls
Was sent the 5" Pixel (when I ordered a Pixel XL)
Waiting over a month for my Pixel XL
Having Bluetooth Issues on the Pixel
Not totally blown away with the Pixel's camera (the Lumua ICON and Note 7 seemed so much better),

I also put a salesperson at work in a Pixel and it has major Bluetooth problems. So, I have a Z Force Droid on the way today to test and see if it will work for our sales person. If I like it enough, I may cancel my long overdue Pixel XL order and get myself a Z-Force.

Camera quality is the biggest thing for me...absolutely. The Pixel has been SO hit and miss for me.

anon(9227267)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
I also put a salesperson at work in a Pixel and it has major Bluetooth problems. So, I have a Z Force Droid on the way today to test and see if it will work for our sales person. If I like it enough, I may cancel my long overdue Pixel XL order and get myself a Z-Force.

Camera quality is the biggest thing for me...absolutely. The Pixel has been SO hit and miss for me.

WTG - IMO "hands on" is by far the best way to decide if a phone is right for you or not - in the end, the only opinion that matters is yours.

have a Pixel - my little hands like the feel of it - and it is fast
have a Z Force - my old eyes and fingers like the added size - it is pretty quick too
I'm not a camera person - you're on your own there.

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
WTG - IMO "hands on" is by far the best way to decide if a phone is right for you or not - in the end, the only opinion that matters is yours.

have a Pixel - my little hands like the feel of it - and it is fast
have a Z Force - my old eyes and fingers like the added size - it is pretty quick too
I'm not a camera person - you're on your own there.

My hands like the feel of the 5" Pixel but my eyes don't. So yes, I may "daily driver" this Moto Z-Force Droid for a few days to see how I like it, especially if it is getting 7.0 right now. :)

anon(9227267)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
My hands like the feel of the 5" Pixel but my eyes don't. So yes, I may "daily driver" this Moto Z-Force Droid for a few days to see how I like it, especially if it is getting 7.0 right now. :)

I haven't gotten 7.0 yet - seem to be varying reports about when it will appear. The Z Force with the battery pack is a heck of a unit - I think you could jump start your car with it - :D

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I haven't gotten 7.0 yet - seem to be varying reports about when it will appear. The Z Force with the battery pack is a heck of a unit - I think you could jump start your car with it - :D

The Z-Force just arrived for me. And yes, no 7.0 yet for it either...will post first impressions as soon as I am able to.

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Coming from the Pixel 5", immediately like the larger size. It is not as snappy as the Pixel for sure but it is not laggy by any means. I am already liking the options for MODS even not having purchased one yet.

Camera comparison...First photo is from Pixel...second from Z-Force Droid...does look like the Pixel has a little more natural look whereas the Z-Force seems "hot."..

Will give it several days to see how it handles day to day.

Attachments

• trees (1).jpg
    trees (1).jpg
    993.3 KB · Views: 50
  • trees (2) - Copy.jpg
    trees (2) - Copy.jpg
    996.5 KB · Views: 49

AustinAggie

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm coming from a Nexus 6P, which was a great phone until Nougat came along.

I expect the Z Force's camera will be a little worse in low light but faster (the 6P is notoriously slow), though not as fast as the Pixel. I can live with that. I've got to put the bluetooth connectivity issues with my 6P behind me.. and it sounds like the Pixel XL is still having the same issues. Hopefully, it's not Nougat, since the Zs are about to get them. Overall, I've not been very happy with the radios on the 6P either, and my history with Motorola says I won't need to worry. I loved my Droid Maxx (a sibling of the original Moto X). Other than the camera it was a great phone.

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm coming from a Nexus 6P, which was a great phone until Nougat came along.

I expect the Z Force's camera will be a little worse in low light but faster (the 6P is notoriously slow), though not as fast as the Pixel. I can live with that. I've got to put the bluetooth connectivity issues with my 6P behind me.. and it sounds like the Pixel XL is still having the same issues. Hopefully, it's not Nougat, since the Zs are about to get them. Overall, I've not been very happy with the radios on the 6P either, and my history with Motorola says I won't need to worry. I loved my Droid Maxx (a sibling of the original Moto X). Other than the camera it was a great phone.

See my post right above yours. At the moment, the Pixel still looks better in my eyes. The Z-Force seems as fast as the Pixel when snapping shots thus far though. I am excited about 7.0 as I did just now receive my free DayDream from purchasing a Pixel.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
See my post right above yours. At the moment, the Pixel still looks better in my eyes. The Z-Force seems as fast as the Pixel when snapping shots thus far though. I am excited about 7.0 as I did just now receive my free DayDream from purchasing a Pixel.

I'm currently switching between an Pixel XL, iPhone 7+ and the Moto Z Force (Verizon), and I prefer the color the iPhone renders, but the sharpness of the Pixel.

As far as snapping shots though, the iPhone and Pixel are really fast, but with the Z-Force I always get the "Hold camera steady" message and it takes a couple of seconds. How do I avoid that?

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm currently switching between an Pixel XL, iPhone 7+ and the Moto Z Force (Verizon), and I prefer the color the iPhone renders, but the sharpness of the Pixel.

As far as snapping shots though, the iPhone and Pixel are really fast, but with the Z-Force I always get the "Hold camera steady" message and it takes a couple of seconds. How do I avoid that?
Go into pro mode.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Coming from the Pixel 5", immediately like the larger size. It is not as snappy as the Pixel for sure but it is not laggy by any means. I am already liking the options for MODS even not having purchased one yet.

Camera comparison...First photo is from Pixel...second from Z-Force Droid...does look like the Pixel has a little more natural look whereas the Z-Force seems "hot."..

Will give it several days to see how it handles day to day.

Can you confirm which photo is Pixel and which photo is Z-Force? The top photo is 4X3 aspect ratio and seems a bit saturated while the bottom one is 16X9 aspect ratio. Since Pixel seems to oversaturate photos I'm guessing you've got them sorted correctly but a confirmation would be nice. Also, I can see finer detail in the 16X 9 shot. I'm a phone camera nerd and this shat stuff is important to me!

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I really didn't like when the OP said the red on the car really stood out, but the car was not red it was orange. For me color accuracy trumps all. So if the Pixel is more color accurate, then I'd say it was the better camera IMO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol