Comparison: Z Force and Pixel XL

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Can you confirm which photo is Pixel and which photo is Z-Force? The top photo is 4X3 aspect ratio and seems a bit saturated while the bottom one is 16X9 aspect ratio. Since Pixel seems to oversaturate photos I'm guessing you've got them sorted correctly but a confirmation would be nice. Also, I can see finer detail in the 16X 9 shot. I'm a phone camera nerd and this shat stuff is important to me!

Yes...the top was the Pixel and bottom Moto Z Force Droid. I've taken a few more this evening from the Moto Z Force Droid and getting pretty good results. I'm a camera Nerd too coming from Lumia ICON and Note 7. The Pixel has let me down somewhat. The only noticeable thing so far from the Z Force is how slow it can be when taking shots.

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I really didn't like when the OP said the red on the car really stood out, but the car was not red it was orange. For me color accuracy trumps all. So if the Pixel is more color accurate, then I'd say it was the better camera IMO
Actually what I said was "Both look great, but the car is orange."

Lighting and desired outcome are both big factors. If you look at the early morning pictures of my very red truck, the Pixel looks orange and the Z is way more true to color. So, which is better? The Pixel is more true to the situation, but the photo is of a red truck and the Z did a much better job adjusting white balance. So, depending on what you are going for, either could be the best.

Anyway, what I tried to emphasize is that both do a very good job. The best is very subjective and heavily based on the lighting. Some were best TO ME from the Pixel and some from the Z.

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the review. I have a Pixel and the Z force. I love both phones. I will use the same nano sim and rotate phones each month. Hopefully it will ease my craving for a new phone about every month!! I put the crimson nylon ballistic on the Z force and it feels fantastic, much better than I thought it would. Ordered the black leather also. Z force is fantastic.

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the review. I have a Pixel and the Z force. I love both phones. I will use the same nano sim and rotate phones each month. Hopefully it will ease my craving for a new phone about every month!! I put the crimson nylon ballistic on the Z force and it feels fantastic, much better than I thought it would. Ordered the black leather also. Z force is fantastic.

I have both as well and keep coming back to the Z-Force Droid, even if the Camera on the Pixel is so much snappier. As far as quality, it is a toss up. I'd like to see an extensive review of both phones camera's, especially in a you tube video. I've not come across a true comparison between the two.

whiteshadow001

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
This review single handedly makes my choice at choosing to go with the force over the pixel all that much better. Thanks for this cause my 14 days are up tomorrow haha!

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
While not the best comparisons, I did some picture battles between Pixel XL and Z-Force Droid:

Pixel:
pixel01.jpg
Moto Z Force Droid:
moto01.jpg

Pixel:
pixel02.jpg
Moto Z Force Droid:
moto02.jpg

Pixel:
pixel03.jpg
Moto Z Force Droid:
moto03.jpg

Pixel:
pixel04.jpg
Moto Z Force Droid:
moto04.jpg

Pixel:
pixel05.jpg
Moto Z Force Droid:
moto05.jpg

Pixel:
pixel06.jpg
Moto Z Force Droid:
moto06.jpg

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
While not the best comparisons, I did some picture battles between Pixel XL and Z-Force Droid:

Pixel:
View attachment 255055
Moto Z Force Droid:
View attachment 255056

Pixel:
View attachment 255057
Moto Z Force Droid:
View attachment 255058

Pixel:
View attachment 255059
Moto Z Force Droid:
View attachment 255060

Pixel:
View attachment 255061
Moto Z Force Droid:
View attachment 255062

Pixel:
View attachment 255063
Moto Z Force Droid:
View attachment 255064

Pixel:
View attachment 255065
Moto Z Force Droid:
View attachment 255066

I had my family pick out what they thought looked better...I have to say, I leaned Pixel (even if I love my Moto Z Force)...most picked the Z-Force.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Great review!

Would you mind doing an update now that a patch has been made that enables hdr+ for the moto z and the z force? I'd really like to see how the sensors compare with the pixel, and to see if ois is active in hdr+ mode.

Thanks!

https://forums.androidcentral.com/moto-z-force/764890-camera-nx-hdr-available.html
https://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-z/themes/camera-app-hdr-enabled-t3543988
I've done a lot of testing with this app compared to the Moto app. In indoor iffy lighting situations sometimes the NX HDR camera app does better than Moto. In outdoor shots with a lot of light it's close to 50-50. Occasionally auto rather than on setting yields better results. I like having both though.

Mattsg430

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I hope the 2017 Z Force or whatever it will be named doesn't have shutter lag/autofocus issues in low light. The camera in the G5 Plus has been getting great reviews with its dual pixel autofocus setup. Maybe Moto is stepping in the right direction with the cameras.

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I've done a lot of testing with this app compared to the Moto app. In indoor iffy lighting situations sometimes the NX HDR camera app does better than Moto. In outdoor shots with a lot of light it's close to 50-50. Occasionally auto rather than on setting yields better results. I like having both though.

Thank you for this...good to have options which is why I love Android.

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I hope the 2017 Z Force or whatever it will be named doesn't have shutter lag/autofocus issues in low light. The camera in the G5 Plus has been getting great reviews with its dual pixel autofocus setup. Maybe Moto is stepping in the right direction with the cameras.

I do get good photos in low light but the lag is very noticeable for sure. This is why I still hold on to my Pixel, even if I find the Moto Z Force Droid to be the best all round phone.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I had my family pick out what they thought looked better...I have to say, I leaned Pixel (even if I love my Moto Z Force)...most picked the Z-Force.

I like the Z-Force shots. They are brighter and clearer. Take a look at the lawn in the outdoors photo. On the Pixel that looks like a drab mat of blobby browns and olive greens. Now look at the Z-Force--green vibrant grass with discernable clumps, and brown areas. I presume these photos were taken within a minute of each other? Otherwise I'd guess the Pixel shot was taken several minutes later, it just looks a lot darker as if the sun has set a bit further.

Same picture--look at the garage door and the two trucks parked in front of them. The Moto Z-Force is much clearer and crisper. Look at the front door and window over the door of that house. Much better on the Z-Force.

The picture of the pink coffee mug--I presume it really is kind of a flourescent neon pink and not a drab pink in color. Also look at the bottom area of the mug where the pink transitions into blue. Just more detail and vibrancy there in the Z-Force.

Mattsg430

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I agree. The shots the Z force take are great, it's just annoying as hell when you tap the shutter button and you get that circle icon twisting around with a crescent moon inside of it. Why would I want to wait 3 seconds from the time I tapped the shutter button to get the picture?

Luckily, taking auto shots in pro mode removes that lag, but would be nice if you could just open the camera app and go.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I have to say that I preferred the Pixel for all of the photos with the dinosaur - the Z Force photos look oversaturated. The cups look about the same. The low light photo, the Z Force looks better. The last one, I prefer the Pixel - look at the window and cabinet in the background - they are washed out in the Z Force. (Though neither of those photos is a good photo, I doubt that you'd find a camera that would take a good photo in that light condition.)

Thanks for the comparison photos.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
You can use the nxcamera app with the Force and it sometimes helps with iffy light indoor shots boosting the dynamic range without blowing out the whites.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke