Bluetooth Audio skipping

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
My Bluetooth headphones have to be in close proximity, if I put my phone in my back pocket it will skip.

Since your body is basically a bag of water and radio signals at the frequency used by Bluetooth (essentially the same as a microwave oven) don't really travel through water all that well, that's not surprising. It may be better if you know that the receiver in your headphones are in which ear and put the phone in the pocket on that side of your body. Or try a front pocket even.

italianotampa

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Since your body is basically a bag of water and radio signals at the frequency used by Bluetooth (essentially the same as a microwave oven) don't really travel through water all that well, that's not surprising. It may be better if you know that the receiver in your headphones are in which ear and put the phone in the pocket on that side of your body. Or try a front pocket even.

True, but I didn't have a problem with my Turbo. I have skipping audio with my vehicle as well.

kf6kmx

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
What players is everyone thats hearing the skipping using?
I'm wondering a little if this is software related?
I have the Z Force linked to a bluetooth fm modulator in my Suburban, and I get one or two 'skips' a day playing music from Google Music... When in the vehicle I exclusively use it to play music that is downloaded onto local storage from Google Music...so it isnt caused by a drop in the cell signal.
I have also heard it when using my BT desktop speaker. I THINK it has happened on the JBL Moto Mod tho also, and it isnt BT.
BUT, I have a set of Sony BT headphones, and currently they are paired to my Nexus 7 (2012) tablet, using it as a 'music source/storage'... I am hearing the same skipping on the headphones IF I am playing from Google Music Player... I have determined it happens on there both with downloaded music and music streaming..
Not sure if the Z Force and 7 tablet are having the same issue, or just coincidentally they both do it for separate reasons... So far it hasnt gotten annoying enough on either to dig deep into it

msvanhorn

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
I have the skipping issue using BeyondPod for podcasts and Audible for audio books. Both are using downloaded media rather than streaming. I use a pair of LG HBS 900 bluetooth headphones.

babracmmm

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
I've had the phone not quite 2 weeks now and have the same BT skipping. It seems to happen whenever the phone does something like location or wifi search. Go into Safe Mode and it stops (of course it also stops if I just reboot the phone). It eventually comes back (don't know about Safe Mode because I can't stay in it all day since I need to use other apps). Have used different BT earbuds, so it isn't them. And I can go 10-15 ft. away in my house and still get sound. It just clips every time the phone does something. If you are going to make people use BT headphones you should have very good BT performance.

kf6kmx

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I've had the phone not quite 2 weeks now and have the same BT skipping. It seems to happen whenever the phone does something like location or wifi search. Go into Safe Mode and it stops (of course it also stops if I just reboot the phone). It eventually comes back (don't know about Safe Mode because I can't stay in it all day since I need to use other apps). Have used different BT earbuds, so it isn't them. And I can go 10-15 ft. away in my house and still get sound. It just clips every time the phone does something. If you are going to make people use BT headphones you should have very good BT performance.
Wonder if it's related to what I have been seeing.... I have to reboot the phone every 24-36 hrs... It will slow down and act like something has gone runaway, but 7.0 doesn't let any of the apps see what % other apps are using any more to track it down.

fr4nk1yn

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
Today I listened to music rather than podcasts at work. I thought my bluetooth skipping was done but it came back AND it even caused the phone to reboot after disconnecting itself from the Sol Republic Shadows. Perhaps we have a bluetooth bandwidth issue? It's been rock solid for months until I played music again.

babracmmm

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
If I don't reboot every day I get the clipping. And yesterday the phone earpiece was buzzy when someone called me. Now that I'm past my free return period. I like a lot of the phone but these two things are very negative.

Lcifer Jameson

Feb 26, 2017
Visit site
If I don't reboot every day I get the clipping. And yesterday the phone earpiece was buzzy when someone called me. Now that I'm past my free return period. I like a lot of the phone but these two things are very negative.

I have had my Moto Z force for a little over 2 months and it's been doing this same stuttering BS since day 1 got in car connected Bluetooth drove home noticed it immediately updated all system updates rebooted phone figured I was good same issue doesn't matter if I'm using Google play music Pandora Spotify or anything else for that matter it even does it when it's less then 1ft from my JBL clip2 speaker when I'm at work it's driving me insane I never had this issue with my Moto x gen1 or gen2 and honestly I will probably never get a Motorola phone or Lenovo phone ever again after this just due to how ridiculous this is I emailed google music they said it probably on the phones end emailed Motorola told it is the cache.....Rebooting phone only works for a few hours at best for me clearing cache using CCleaner works for about 20m literally forced to carry my Moto x gen 2 to use as a music player because this over price piece of crap Z force is useless to me for anything other then a phone what a waste

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I ended up getting a LG V20 and switching to T-Mobile when they had that insane $360 sale the other day.

So I boxed up my Moto Z Force Droid.

I am the one that started this thread, and I am now using my LG V20 in all of the same situations I previously had my Moto Z.

I do not have any Bluetooth stuttering with the V20. I loved my Moto Z, I only really left because I switched to T-Mobile. However that Bluetooth issue was very annoying and it certainly made me use Bluetooth less

Kryoken

Dec 9, 2017
Visit site
I've had this issue more than once. I use a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. Initially changing the scan setting in the connections other connections scan nearby devices worked. By disabling it.

Now it's doing it again. I think it has something to do with the battery and optimization settings. I was able to get it to stop by changing the performance mode and going into either high performance or entertainment mode if I figure out more I'll come back and post because I don't have it precisely pinned but at least I can listen to my music now

daniel58

Apr 7, 2017
Visit site
What players is everyone thats hearing the skipping using?
I'm wondering a little if this is software related?

I have the Z Force linked to a bluetooth fm modulator in my Suburban, and I get one or two 'skips' a day playing music from Google Music... When in the vehicle I exclusively use it to play music that is downloaded onto local storage from Google Music...so it isnt caused by a drop in the cell signal.

I have also heard it when using my BT desktop speaker. I THINK it has happened on the JBL Moto Mod tho also, and it isnt BT.

BUT, I have a set of Sony BT headphones, and currently they are paired to my Nexus 7 (2012) tablet, using it as a 'music source/storage'... I am hearing the same skipping on the headphones IF I am playing from Google Music Player... I have determined it happens on there both with downloaded music and music streaming..

Not sure if the Z Force and 7 tablet are having the same issue, or just coincidentally they both do it for separate reasons... So far it hasnt gotten annoying enough on either to dig deep into it

I also have been experiencing the same audio bluetooth stuttering problem on my Motorola Moto G5 Plus smartphone that was recently upgraded from Marshmallow to Nougat android operating system; typically the audio symptoms have been experienced on spotify, google play music and pandora so far; is that the audio programming I am listening to skips up to a much higher audio volume level for a period of time and then also skips to a much lower audio volume level for a period of time; I have also duplicated the same bluetooth audio stuttering problem on three different audio portable bluetooth speakers; to say this is a truly irritating problem is a definte understatement;

I have even actually set the "non battery optimized" settings for all potentially listed android applications in a desperate attempt to finally stamp out this very maddening and persistent bluetooth "audio stuttering" problem indeed; I am literally at my wits end trying to troubleshoot this persistent ongoing Android bluetooth audio stuttering problem with no ultimate resolution in seeming sight?

hybucket

May 24, 2013
Visit site
No posts here for awhile...let's see what this post will bring.
I have been having stuttering problem for a long time...sometimes ok, other times (like now) it is not listenable.
I have:
Galaxy 5 (yup, an oldie, but in almost-perfect condition...new battery).
Listening to music with Samsung Music, Google Play, or online with Pandora or Music Choice....makes no difference with any player. Nor does it make any difference with different bluetooth headsets.
I have tried all the fixes I could find...shutting off WiFi, clearing active apps, location settings,...doesn't matter. The only thing that temporarily helps is restarting the phone (I restart it daily anyway, but that doesn't seem to make a difference).
You'd think by now that, with all the online forum complaints about this, SOMEONE would have found the ultimate solution. If they have, then I haven't yet found it. Anyone new here that might have seen something I might have missed?

DayTripperCPT

Aug 30, 2018
Visit site
I have been getting atrocious Bluetooth "stutter" for over 2 months now when I use my BT headphones. It's so bad I have had to switch to wired earphones as the BT ones no longer function. I have had stutter problems in my car for about a year, but figured it must be cellphone towers on my route causing the interference or something. Ironically I no longer get bad stutter in the car when using making a phone call (never get stutter when using spotify in the car), but now get bad stutter in my headphones when I never used to.

1) I have a Galaxy S7

2) Stutter in headphones began 2 months ago almost overnight, and is consistently always there, everyday. IE it's not "sometimes" it's "always". They are unusable so I have to used wired earphones now.

3) I use Spotify but for some reason I don't get stutter in my car unless I'm using the actual phone.

4) I know it's not my headphones as they work fine when connected to my laptop at work, and no one else in the gym is having issues (I have yet to find someone also using a Galaxy Android that is also experiencing the same issue).

5) I have tried EVERYTHING on the internet (including my own experiments in troubleshooting) and nothing works. I've tried turnbing this on, that off, etc, but nada. I'm at the point where I'm going to rather just sell the phone, as this issue is too frustrating and I'm very confident it's the phone but I have no idea what to do.

6) I replaced my phone last year, but I had the exact same stutter issues with my car with the previous phone, although did not have the stutter problem with my headphones.

7) Stutter is definitely more pronounced in the gym as opposed to home or the office, but stutter always there in some form but NEVER used to be.

hybucket

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I have been getting atrocious Bluetooth "stutter" for over 2 months now when I use my BT headphones. It's so bad I have had to switch to wired earphones as the BT ones no longer function. I have had stutter problems in my car for about a year, but figured it must be cellphone towers on my route causing the interference or something. Ironically I no longer get bad stutter in the car when using making a phone call (never get stutter when using spotify in the car), but now get bad stutter in my headphones when I never used to.

1) I have a Galaxy S7

2) Stutter in headphones began 2 months ago almost overnight, and is consistently always there, everyday. IE it's not "sometimes" it's "always". They are unusable so I have to used wired earphones now.

3) I use Spotify but for some reason I don't get stutter in my car unless I'm using the actual phone.

4) I know it's not my headphones as they work fine when connected to my laptop at work, and no one else in the gym is having issues (I have yet to find someone also using a Galaxy Android that is also experiencing the same issue).

5) I have tried EVERYTHING on the internet (including my own experiments in troubleshooting) and nothing works. I've tried turnbing this on, that off, etc, but nada. I'm at the point where I'm going to rather just sell the phone, as this issue is too frustrating and I'm very confident it's the phone but I have no idea what to do.

6) I replaced my phone last year, but I had the exact same stutter issues with my car with the previous phone, although did not have the stutter problem with my headphones.

7) Stutter is definitely more pronounced in the gym as opposed to home or the office, but stutter always there in some form but NEVER used to be.

My Galaxy 5 continues to do this sporadically. Some days it's fine....others, it's unlistenable. Only thing that works sometimes is to clear all the open apps and reboot. Seems to work better first thing in the AM when I first turn it on. There is, apparently, no set solution to this, and no one at Samsung seems to care.

NSain1

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Hi. I finally figured out that when wifi is turned on my audio skips even when I'm playing downloaded only music on Google play.
I did a full factory reset and before adding any new apps I tried it with and without wifi turned on.
Absolutely no issues. The ONLY time it skips is when wifi is turned on. It's more of like a pop/crack and it is very annoying.
Has anyone experienced this and found a solution. Again...I am 100% sure through process of elimination that this is a wifi problem unlrelated to streaming.
Thanks

NSain1

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Well in case someone else has this Bluetooth skipping issue with a Moto Z 2 force I finally figured it out... At least what worked in my situation.
- Enable developor options
- Scroll down to Bluetooth audio codec
- Change it to SBC
- I also changed AVRCP to 1.6
That fixed it! No more pops and cracks while listening to music via Bluetooth!