Freezing up constantly after Nougat update

ch5220

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else having problems with their Z Force freezing up several times a day after the Nougat update? My wife and I both have Z Forces and both worked perfectly for months until the Nougat update, but now mine freezes up 4-5 times a day, and hers about 1-2 times a day. Only way to unfreeze it is to hold down the power button for about 10 seconds to restart it.

I found a thread on the Lenovo forums of other people having the same issues https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/Moto_Z_Force/thread-id/2424/page/1

ASD Dad

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
No issues for me and I am normally a late updater. Nougat did so well on my 5x that I jumped when it showed up on the Z Force and I am very happy with the update.

The most common fix - Factory Reset. A giant pain at times but it normally fixes issues like this.

ggendel

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
No issues for me and I am normally a late updater. Nougat did so well on my 5x that I jumped when it showed up on the Z Force and I am very happy with the update.

The most common fix - Factory Reset. A giant pain at times but it normally fixes issues like this.

Seconded. I keep this as a last resort as it is a pain to bring things back up to where you had it. But it has fixed a number of issues from an OTA upgrade over the years when I've run into real head-scratchers or flaky behavior. The other good thing is that I get the chance to think about my setup and decide which apps I really need and which ones were dead weight.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Before a factory reset try wiping the cache partition. I usually do this about once a week.

https://motorola-global-portal.cust...prod_answer_detail/a_id/112125/p/30,6720,9833

To perform a wipe cache partition:

With the phone powered off, press and hold the Volume Down button and the Power button at the same time until the device turns on.
Press the Volume Down button to highlight "Recovery mode"
Press the Power button to restart into Recovery mode.
You'll see an image of an Android robot with a red exclamation mark.
Holding the Power button, tap Volume Up once and then release the Power button.
Use the volume buttons to scroll to "wipe cache partition" and press the Power button to select it.
"Reboot system now" will be highlighted, press the Power button to select it.

magsama

Dec 9, 2016
Visit site
Yes, factory reset for sure. This was happening to mine as well. Also, setup as "new phone" option instead of using the backup feature setup after reset. Update pre installed apps first, delete/disable apps you won't use, and then start adding back your preferred apps one by one. My phone is also doing better since I installed my micro SD card as portable instead of as internal storage. AND I upgraded to the fastest micro SD I could find. Good luck :)

Technified

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I went into a Verizon store about this same issue and they gave me a new Sim card. That and got rid of a few apps have seem to fix the problem.

jesta192

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
My wife and I are not having even the slightest amount of lag with our Forces. We're actually amazed with how blazing fast they are running, even on Nougat.

My wife has had strange problems in the past with lag or freezing, and the best fix for her was to remove Facebook's apps. I think you can enable a CPU usage overlay in Developer Options under Settings, perhaps that would help track this down?

Also, a factory reset may be in order. But instead of setting up as a new phone as magsama mentioned, I would try the backup option first since that could save you some effort. If that fails, you can try fully clearing as per their suggestion.

Mattsg430

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Yep, I did a factory reset before installing N. Works great and battery life has improved a ton for me. Getting 5+ hours SOT now

Nate Silver

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Just got my Force a couple of days ago. I went ahead and updated to N before I did much of anything with the phone. So far, there hasn't been a single sign of a glitch, freeze, lag, or what have you. It just seems to take anything I throw at it in stride. Disclaimer: I don't use Facebook apps, don't know whether that has anything to do with it.

ch5220

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I first tried wiping the cache, but that didn't help and it froze three times in the following couple of hours. I then did a factory reset yesterday afternoon, and so far no issues yet. Hopefully that solved the problem. When I do the factory reset for my wife's phone, what is the best to most easily restore every app/setting/bookmarks etc?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Always try -

Clear cache.

If it persists, factory reset.

Or -

Delete any recent apps you've added or updated.

1Coopgt

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
I had to do a factory reset about 3 days after I had updated . Phone was laggy and also got really hot when charging one night . After the FDR the phone has been great .

fr4nk1yn

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
Mine messed up today. Got a call at the same time I tried starting music from bluetooth and it literally screeched and went blank. Holding the power button restarted it and it's been fine since. First time ever.

sstea

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
There is definitely a problem with the Moto Z Nougat release. Never had a freeze before the update. After the update had 4-5 freezes a day, where I had to hold power button down to restart. I bit the bullet and completely wiped the phone and reloaded Nougat using the Verizon software update tool and manually reloaded every app instead of letting Google restore. There is no cleaner way of doing this. For 3 days I didn't have a single freeze, then it happened again a few hours ago. I believe it has something to do with bluetooth....Pretty nasty bug, I have never had a phone lock like this before.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
There is definitely a problem with the Moto Z Nougat release. Never had a freeze before the update. After the update had 4-5 freezes a day, where I had to hold power button down to restart. I bit the bullet and completely wiped the phone and reloaded Nougat using the Verizon software update tool and manually reloaded every app instead of letting Google restore. There is no cleaner way of doing this. For 3 days I didn't have a single freeze, then it happened again a few hours ago. I believe it has something to do with bluetooth....Pretty nasty bug, I have never had a phone lock like this before.

I have not experienced this. I use a Moto 360 all the time plus Bluetooth connectivity in two different cars.

Sterlina

Dec 19, 2016
Visit site
Hey, found this thread after weeks of freezing issues occurring with my Z Force. I'm about done with trying to find a solution. Already did a factory reset and the problems came right back. It froze 4 times consecutively tonight, and I don't know what else to do... I was told by moto staff that it was a known issue and they were slowly releasing an update... But I haven't seen anything yet.

I also just took out my SD card, since sometimes it would happen while taking pictures. Going to try this and see how it goes.