05-25-2017 09:52 AM
41 12
tools
    Anyone else having problems with their Z Force freezing up several times a day after the Nougat update? My wife and I both have Z Forces and both worked perfectly for months until the Nougat update, but now mine freezes up 4-5 times a day, and hers about 1-2 times a day. Only way to unfreeze it is to hold down the power button for about 10 seconds to restart it.

I found a thread on the Lenovo forums of other people having the same issues https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/forums/...id/2424/page/1
    12-14-2016 09:38 AM
    No issues for me and I am normally a late updater. Nougat did so well on my 5x that I jumped when it showed up on the Z Force and I am very happy with the update.

The most common fix - Factory Reset. A giant pain at times but it normally fixes issues like this.
    12-14-2016 10:02 AM
    No issues for me and I am normally a late updater. Nougat did so well on my 5x that I jumped when it showed up on the Z Force and I am very happy with the update.

The most common fix - Factory Reset. A giant pain at times but it normally fixes issues like this.
    Seconded. I keep this as a last resort as it is a pain to bring things back up to where you had it. But it has fixed a number of issues from an OTA upgrade over the years when I've run into real head-scratchers or flaky behavior. The other good thing is that I get the chance to think about my setup and decide which apps I really need and which ones were dead weight.
    12-14-2016 10:06 AM
    Before a factory reset try wiping the cache partition. I usually do this about once a week.

https://motorola-global-portal.custh...p/30,6720,9833

To perform a wipe cache partition:

With the phone powered off, press and hold the Volume Down button and the Power button at the same time until the device turns on.
    Press the Volume Down button to highlight "Recovery mode"
    Press the Power button to restart into Recovery mode.
    You'll see an image of an Android robot with a red exclamation mark.
    Holding the Power button, tap Volume Up once and then release the Power button.
    Use the volume buttons to scroll to "wipe cache partition" and press the Power button to select it.
    "Reboot system now" will be highlighted, press the Power button to select it.
    magsama likes this.
    12-14-2016 10:30 AM
    Yes, factory reset for sure. This was happening to mine as well. Also, setup as "new phone" option instead of using the backup feature setup after reset. Update pre installed apps first, delete/disable apps you won't use, and then start adding back your preferred apps one by one. My phone is also doing better since I installed my micro SD card as portable instead of as internal storage. AND I upgraded to the fastest micro SD I could find. Good luck
    mobrules likes this.
    12-14-2016 10:48 AM
    I went into a Verizon store about this same issue and they gave me a new Sim card. That and got rid of a few apps have seem to fix the problem.
    12-14-2016 01:30 PM
    My wife and I are not having even the slightest amount of lag with our Forces. We're actually amazed with how blazing fast they are running, even on Nougat.

My wife has had strange problems in the past with lag or freezing, and the best fix for her was to remove Facebook's apps. I think you can enable a CPU usage overlay in Developer Options under Settings, perhaps that would help track this down?

Also, a factory reset may be in order. But instead of setting up as a new phone as magsama mentioned, I would try the backup option first since that could save you some effort. If that fails, you can try fully clearing as per their suggestion.
    12-15-2016 01:04 PM
    Yep, I did a factory reset before installing N. Works great and battery life has improved a ton for me. Getting 5+ hours SOT now
    12-15-2016 01:51 PM
    Just got my Force a couple of days ago. I went ahead and updated to N before I did much of anything with the phone. So far, there hasn't been a single sign of a glitch, freeze, lag, or what have you. It just seems to take anything I throw at it in stride. Disclaimer: I don't use Facebook apps, don't know whether that has anything to do with it.
    12-15-2016 07:28 PM
    I first tried wiping the cache, but that didn't help and it froze three times in the following couple of hours. I then did a factory reset yesterday afternoon, and so far no issues yet. Hopefully that solved the problem. When I do the factory reset for my wife's phone, what is the best to most easily restore every app/setting/bookmarks etc?
    12-16-2016 09:43 AM
    Try Nova Prime
    12-16-2016 01:58 PM
    Always try -

Clear cache.

If it persists, factory reset.

Or -

Delete any recent apps you've added or updated.
    12-16-2016 02:34 PM
    I had to do a factory reset about 3 days after I had updated . Phone was laggy and also got really hot when charging one night . After the FDR the phone has been great .
    12-16-2016 04:02 PM
    Mine messed up today. Got a call at the same time I tried starting music from bluetooth and it literally screeched and went blank. Holding the power button restarted it and it's been fine since. First time ever.
    12-16-2016 05:59 PM
    Anyone know why I occasionally get the "Moto Voice has stopped" notification when I restart my phone? It's very frustrating.
    12-16-2016 10:40 PM
    The Moto voice has stopped thing you need to go into the app manager and reset app preferences..shoudl fix it
    12-16-2016 11:32 PM
    There is definitely a problem with the Moto Z Nougat release. Never had a freeze before the update. After the update had 4-5 freezes a day, where I had to hold power button down to restart. I bit the bullet and completely wiped the phone and reloaded Nougat using the Verizon software update tool and manually reloaded every app instead of letting Google restore. There is no cleaner way of doing this. For 3 days I didn't have a single freeze, then it happened again a few hours ago. I believe it has something to do with bluetooth....Pretty nasty bug, I have never had a phone lock like this before.
    12-18-2016 07:54 PM
    There is definitely a problem with the Moto Z Nougat release. Never had a freeze before the update. After the update had 4-5 freezes a day, where I had to hold power button down to restart. I bit the bullet and completely wiped the phone and reloaded Nougat using the Verizon software update tool and manually reloaded every app instead of letting Google restore. There is no cleaner way of doing this. For 3 days I didn't have a single freeze, then it happened again a few hours ago. I believe it has something to do with bluetooth....Pretty nasty bug, I have never had a phone lock like this before.
    I have not experienced this. I use a Moto 360 all the time plus Bluetooth connectivity in two different cars.
    maxman1 likes this.
    12-18-2016 08:23 PM
    The Moto voice has stopped thing you need to go into the app manager and reset app preferences..shoudl fix it
    I did this and it fixes it. But then next time I restart my phone, the same thing happens again. Could there be something I'm doing to cause this?
    12-18-2016 09:06 PM
    Hey, found this thread after weeks of freezing issues occurring with my Z Force. I'm about done with trying to find a solution. Already did a factory reset and the problems came right back. It froze 4 times consecutively tonight, and I don't know what else to do... I was told by moto staff that it was a known issue and they were slowly releasing an update... But I haven't seen anything yet.

I also just took out my SD card, since sometimes it would happen while taking pictures. Going to try this and see how it goes.
    wikison likes this.
    12-18-2016 11:46 PM
    I too have a Moto Z Force Droid, and have been having unbelievable issues with it. I had a perfect phone until the display one day literally just stopped working overnight and became a blue screen of death.
    I received a new phone from moto fairly quickly (within 2 days) and was satisfied for one day, until the new phone downloaded nugat immediately and began freezing every few minutes. This I'm not exaggerating. THE PHONE IS USELESS.
    verizon and moto have done nothing to help me except tell me to pay 800+ dollars for a new phone.
    i just got off the phone with moto and they are having such a high volume of problems that i couldn't even connect to the repair department after 2 hours of waiting, eventually they told me that they would call me back later.

For those who just say "do a reset, it will be fine" this is not the case.
    i have done 4 factory resets on this phone and set up each one as a new device. and every single time it has reverted to freezing, crashing, rebooting then freezing in boot-up, and doing the same.
    i have cleared the app data and cashe.

Any feedback or help that isnt "just do a reset" will be greatly appreciated.
    maybe a way to manually reset the phone back to marshmello? that would be tremendously helpful.
    12-19-2016 03:51 PM
    Hey, found this thread after weeks of freezing issues occurring with my Z Force. I'm about done with trying to find a solution. Already did a factory reset and the problems came right back. It froze 4 times consecutively tonight, and I don't know what else to do... I was told by moto staff that it was a known issue and they were slowly releasing an update... But I haven't seen anything yet.

I also just took out my SD card, since sometimes it would happen while taking pictures. Going to try this and see how it goes.
    The only semi-official word is that an update will be released to address the low notification issue that some users are experiencing. I imagine it'll be included in what was likely already scheduled as the next security patch release.
    12-19-2016 04:08 PM
    I too have a Moto Z Force Droid, and have been having unbelievable issues with it. I had a perfect phone until the display one day literally just stopped working overnight and became a blue screen of death.
    I received a new phone from moto fairly quickly (within 2 days) and was satisfied for one day, until the new phone downloaded nugat immediately and began freezing every few minutes. This I'm not exaggerating. THE PHONE IS USELESS.
    verizon and moto have done nothing to help me except tell me to pay 800+ dollars for a new phone.
    i just got off the phone with moto and they are having such a high volume of problems that i couldn't even connect to the repair department after 2 hours of waiting, eventually they told me that they would call me back later.

For those who just say "do a reset, it will be fine" this is not the case.
    i have done 4 factory resets on this phone and set up each one as a new device. and every single time it has reverted to freezing, crashing, rebooting then freezing in boot-up, and doing the same.
    i have cleared the app data and cashe.

Any feedback or help that isnt "just do a reset" will be greatly appreciated.
    maybe a way to manually reset the phone back to marshmello? that would be tremendously helpful.
    There will be no manual way to reset to Marshmallow - nothing official anyway.

For the record, I have had zero performance issues with my Moto Z Force Droid before and after the Nougat upgrade.

The only other thing I'd suggest is to repair the OS using the instructions in this thread: http://forums.androidcentral.com/mot...oot-error.html
    12-19-2016 04:10 PM
    There will be no manual way to reset to Marshmallow - nothing official anyway.

For the record, I have had zero performance issues with my Moto Z Force Droid before and after the Nougat upgrade.

The only other thing I'd suggest is to repair the OS using the instructions in this thread: http://forums.androidcentral.com/mot...oot-error.html
    Thank you! I will try this ASAP and report back. currently my phone is stuck in the startup menu of a fresh factory wipe. (because it froze again and got really hot so i removed the SD card and did another wipe to no avail)

i had suspected that maybe the base OS file on the phone that it was restoring from had a data corruption or something causing the errors.
    12-19-2016 04:38 PM
    Thank you! I will try this ASAP and report back. currently my phone is stuck in the startup menu of a fresh factory wipe. (because it froze again and got really hot so i removed the SD card and did another wipe to no avail)

i had suspected that maybe the base OS file on the phone that it was restoring from had a data corruption or something causing the errors.
    Also - try running with the SD card.
    12-19-2016 04:59 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD