Video recording - Audio Quality

Mattsg430

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
When recording a video, the image quality is fine. However, the audio occasionally makes a fast stuttering/clicking sound similar to a bad fan. Maybe it's related to noise cancellation? It happened when I was recording a video of a part of a TV show, at normal volume in the living room with no other noise.

Anyone else experience this issue? (Fyi, this audio issue happened for every video setting available on the phone, from 480p to 4K)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
When recording a video, the image quality is fine. However, the audio occasionally makes a fast stuttering/clicking sound similar to a bad fan. Maybe it's related to noise cancellation? It happened when I was recording a video of a part of a TV show, at normal volume in the living room with no other noise.

Anyone else experience this issue? (Fyi, this audio issue happened for every video setting available on the phone, from 480p to 4K)

Post an example.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

It could be noise cancellation. Is there are a case on the phone? Or is there a chance that you are covering one of the microphones when you hold the phone?

This diagram shows the location of the microphones. Screen Shot 2017-01-06 at 6.50.49 AM.png

Sometimes the phone's radios interfere with audio (though that's rare with CDMA/LTE compared with GSM). Just as an experiment, what happens if you record with airplane mode on? (Or, airplane mode and then manually turn on WiFi)? I'm not suggesting this as a permanent fix, just to see if the LTE radio is causing interference like this.

Mattsg430

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
It could be noise cancellation. Is there are a case on the phone? Or is there a chance that you are covering one of the microphones when you hold the phone?

This diagram shows the location of the microphones. View attachment 249645

Sometimes the phone's radios interfere with audio (though that's rare with CDMA/LTE compared with GSM). Just as an experiment, what happens if you record with airplane mode on? (Or, airplane mode and then manually turn on WiFi)? I'm not suggesting this as a permanent fix, just to see if the LTE radio is causing interference like this.

It was the microphone being covered with the palm of my hand that caused the noise. Had no idea it was located there, thanks for the helpful information.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34