Tasker hotspot?

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
i am trying to get Tasker (or any app) to auto start my hotspot when I get in my vehicle. I feel like I have it setup correctly, but it doesn't work.

I have a Moto Z Force Droid on Verzion, I can manually start a Hotspot without issue, I have no known restrictions on my phone, other than it not being rooted. however every app I ever try to auto start a hotspot never works.

i followed these directions, trying to get my Hotspot to come on when it sees a bluetooth connection to my head unit:

I prefer to create my tasks first.

Enter Task
Go to the Tasks tab and click the plus sign. Name your enter task, for example, "Hot Spot On". Click the plus sign to add an action, select "Net", "WiFi Tether", and set to on.

Exit Task
Go to the Tasks tab and click the plus sign. Name your exit task, for example, "Hot Spot Off". Click the plus sign to add an action, select "Net", "WiFi Tether", and set to off.

Go to the Profile tab and click the plus sign. Select "State" as the first context. Next, select "Net", followed by "BT connected". Under the "Name" heading (where it shows optional) click the magnifying glass and select the Joying BT address.

Add the "Hot Spot On" task for the enter task. Then longpress the "Hot Spot On" task and select the option to add an exit task. Add the "Hot Spot Off" as the exit task.

Now, each time your phone connects to your Joying it will automatically turn on your hot spot. When your connection ends, your hot spot will turn off.​

and when I'm in my Jeep, it does see my head unit, but the Hotspot did not come on:

095ce057d6a7c36f4d40684b4bad534b.jpg

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I did some Googling. This may help: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/tasker/q5uSgqtwBkY though it may not.

I wanted to have a shortcut on my home to turn on and off hotspot but as a Verizon customers, I can not do that, I tried 10 different apps none of them worked, here is why

Verizon added a hook into hotspot functionality that check for subscription, so if you turn it on, it will check if you are eligible for hotspot (I am) and only then will turn the hotspot on, but while it check it turn it back off (so all the apps , I guess get confused, they turn it on, but it turned off immediately)

This is probably why a simple toggle in Tasker does not work.

Two ideas, if that post is not helpful (I am not a Talker expert AT ALL.):

- maybe a pause when you switch on the hotspot??
- maybe toggle your WiFi radio off first, to make sure that you are not connected to WiFi when you turn on the hotspot??

adembyr

Jan 12, 2022
Visit site
i am trying to get Tasker (or any app) to auto start my hotspot when I get in my vehicle. I feel like I have it setup correctly, but it doesn't work.

I have a Moto Z Force Droid on Verzion, I can manually start a Hotspot without issue, I have no known restrictions on my phone, other than it not being rooted. however every app I ever try to auto start a hotspot never works.

i followed these directions, trying to get my Hotspot to come on when it sees a bluetooth connection to my head unit:

I prefer to create my tasks first.

Enter Task
Go to the Tasks tab and click the plus sign. Name your enter task, for example, "Hot Spot On". Click the plus sign to add an action, select "Net", "WiFi Tether", and set to on.

Exit Task
Go to the Tasks tab and click the plus sign. Name your exit task, for example, "Hot Spot Off". Click the plus sign to add an action, select "Net", "WiFi Tether", and set to off.

Go to the Profile tab and click the plus sign. Select "State" as the first context. Next, select "Net", followed by "BT connected". Under the "Name" heading (where it shows optional) click the magnifying glass and select the Joying BT address.

Add the "Hot Spot On" task for the enter task. Then longpress the "Hot Spot On" task and select the option to add an exit task. Add the "Hot Spot Off" as the exit task.

Now, each time your phone connects to your Joying it will automatically turn on your hot spot. When your connection ends, your hot spot will turn off.​

and when I'm in my Jeep, it does see my head unit, but the Hotspot did not come on:

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170110/095ce057d6a7c36f4d40684b4bad534b.jpg

Hi, Mike.

Today I spent hell of time to make this same thing happen and a total failure. Exactly same with your issue.

Could you manage to fix? If so, how?

Thanks for answer in advance.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi, Mike.

Today I spent hell of time to make this same thing happen and a total failure. Exactly same with your issue.

Could you manage to fix? If so, how?

Thanks for answer in advance.
Welcome to AC!
Mike hasn't been active for long time