Constant Camera Problems With Moto Z Force Droid

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I have a Moto Z Force Droid that has been a great performing phone but as of late, the Camera app crashes more often than not. It usually happens when taking video. If I pan the camera and it stutters, it usually means it is about to crash. And often will crash when trying to snap a photo during a video shoot. It will start with this error:

Screenshot_20170212-115143.jpg

If I press OK and then go back into the camera, it will then present this:

Screenshot_20170212-113735.jpg

And, yes, I usually have to reboot but after a reboot, this will usually return.

Some things to note for troubleshooting:

I use Adoptable Storage in a high spec, 256GB U3 card.
Video is set to HDR On,Full HD Video 1080p (30fps)
Stock Motorola Camera app (which oddly hasn't been updated in a long time)
I know a recommendation will be a Factory Reset but ugggh, not wanting to do that. I have this phone set up, home screens functional with the widgets I want, etc. Would hate to do that and the problem still occur.

Any suggestions?

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
How often does it happen? If it's relatively common, see if it happens in Safe Mode: https://motorola-global-portal.cust...prod_answer_detail/a_id/112137/p/30,6720,9833

I'm guessing, though, that this has to do with the Adoptable Storage.

It is pretty regular here lately. I've not taken factory reset off the shelf for sure but maybe as a last resort. I may change the camera to record (photo and video) to the built in storage only to see if it goes away. I wish this phone at 64GB or more base storage.

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I think ( if my memory is correct) early on only the 32GB was available.

I called my Verizon Rep for my workplace...she can only get a 32GB.

Which makes me wonder if I should (ugggh) Factory Reset and not do adoptive storage and just manually move apps to MicroSD. I can't change the storage location of the Camera files as it is right now.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I'll second the diagnosis that it's your 256G SD card.

I presume your photos and videos are stored on the 256G SD card? If so, why would you need to change their location?

Can't you remove the SD card, do the factory reset, then re-install all your apps to the internal 32G storage?

I guess as a precaution I would back up any files you created on the 32G storage and the 256G storage, such things as photos, videos, ringtones, notification tones, music, text messages, etc. to your computer before starting any changes to your phone.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I presume your photos and videos are stored on the 256G SD card? If so, why would you need to change their location?

He said it's adopted storage, so everything is stored on the 256 GB card.

I'd suggest, since nobody has yet, trying a clear of the cache partition before doing the FDR. https://motorola-global-portal.cust...112125/~/clear-cache-partition---moto-z-force

However: I have long thought adopting storage is a bad idea. (Not your bad idea; Google's.) I can't believe that Google did this (or allowed an OEM to do this with Android) on any phone other than Android One phones with 4 or 8 GB storage. I'd second the suggestion (if nothing else works) of an FDR and DO NOT ADOPT STORAGE but instead use the card as portable storage. (And, of course as PowrDroid suggested, back up all of your photos, videos, ringtones, plus make sure that contacts and calendars are either synced with an online service like Google or Verizon or Exchange or back them up and copy to your computer first.)

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
He said it's adopted storage, so everything is stored on the 256 GB card.

I'd suggest, since nobody has yet, trying a clear of the cache partition before doing the FDR. https://motorola-global-portal.cust...112125/~/clear-cache-partition---moto-z-force

However: I have long thought adopting storage is a bad idea. (Not your bad idea; Google's.) I can't believe that Google did this (or allowed an OEM to do this with Android) on any phone other than Android One phones with 4 or 8 GB storage. I'd second the suggestion (if nothing else works) of an FDR and DO NOT ADOPT STORAGE but instead use the card as portable storage. (And, of course as PowrDroid suggested, back up all of your photos, videos, ringtones, plus make sure that contacts and calendars are either synced with an online service like Google or Verizon or Exchange or back them up and copy to your computer first.)

I agree with this. I was a little wary about adoptive storage, even with paying good money for a well rated MicroSD card. I imagine this is what it is...and it isn't like I'm gonna run out of room..I often remove all photos from my phone once they are backed up on Google Photos and I copy to my local home PC for my Plex Server and for a second backup. But 32GB is just not enough base storage for me...

I'll clear cache and see what happens before getting off of Adoptive Storage.

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I did do a factory reset last night and initially, formatted the microSD as portable storage. So my main apps, especially ones with useful widgets, are installed on the main 32GB internal drive, including the camera. I did then re-format the MicroSD as internal storage because there are a few games I do like that take up some space and cramp up the already small 32GB main storage.

As far as I can tell, the Camera still saves to the internal storage and I've done some video tests and so far, no crashing...time will tell.

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I did do a factory reset last night and initially, formatted the microSD as portable storage. So my main apps, especially ones with useful widgets, are installed on the main 32GB internal drive, including the camera. I did then re-format the MicroSD as internal storage because there are a few games I do like that take up some space and cramp up the already small 32GB main storage.

As far as I can tell, the Camera still saves to the internal storage and I've done some video tests and so far, no crashing...time will tell.

Well, Camera error is back, so this time, I'm going to totally remove the MicroSD and go with internal storage (why oh why didn't we get 64GB base???) and if it continues, I wonder if it may be hardware.

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
UPDATE - Fresh reset...no other apps installed. Went straight to the camera app and took several rounds of video. Often taking snapshots during video. I got the error to return. And this is on a plain vanilla reset.*Possible hardware problem?*

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like it should be replaced.

Sad thing is Verizon rarely replaces with a new phone. But bright side, maybe camera will work.

I'm also glad that it wasn't the adoptable storage causing it and may go back to it as it worked great for me.

At work, I can have any phone I want and would like to stick with this one as I like the mods and the camera, while slower than the Pixel, takes constantly better photos. If the Note 7 debacle hadn't happened, I'd still be on it. But I can say the Moto Z Force Droid is a vastly underrated phone.

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Are there others out there still encountering this error? I've done everything suggested and even on a replacement phone, same problem.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I gotta say it's an issue with the card itself. I read through the thread and dont see if you tried a different card?

If I missed it sorry. I always set things as portable storage. But I switch between several different phones so I need to be able to move photos and music.

I know you've stated you need it for internal but try a different card and see if that works.

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I gotta say it's an issue with the card itself. I read through the thread and dont see if you tried a different card?

If I missed it sorry. I always set things as portable storage. But I switch between several different phones so I need to be able to move photos and music.

I know you've stated you need it for internal but try a different card and see if that works.

Yes, sorry...perhaps I didn't update it...I did factory reset and only used the on-board storage and didn't' even install other apps...I was able to duplicate the problem...and on a replacement phone too...

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Are there others out there still encountering this error? I've done everything suggested and even on a replacement phone, same problem.

I'm not encountering these issues at all.

I use the Motorola Camera app and it is set to save to an SD card that is set to Portable Storage.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Yes, sorry...perhaps I didn't update it...I did factory reset and only used the on-board storage and didn't' even install other apps...I was able to duplicate the problem...and on a replacement phone too...

Are you able to reproduce this in Safe Mode?

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Are you able to reproduce this in Safe Mode?

Yes...on both the original and replacement (brand new) phones. You take anything longer than a 1 minute video, it will happen at one point...usually get s choppy before it happens...often happens while taking a photo while making a video.