Gmail sending issue - IMAP

ASD Dad

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
Using GMAIL app for two accounts, POP3 (personal) and IMAP (work). Been using the app for years across many phones. Today nothing will send from my phone via the IMAP account. It just gets stuck in "Queue". It tries to send but nothing, gets stuck in Outbox.

Verizon network. Droid Z Force phone. About to try my other phones with same SIM soon but wanted to ask first.

I rebooted. Cleared phone cache. GMAIL is updated to current build. Force stopped and cleared GMAIL. Nothing.

I need it working!! Use my phone all day for work via email. Email sends just fine from POP3 account and my laptop for work so it isnt GoDaddy IMAP servers either.

ASD Dad

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
I have not but will try that. I tried over WiFi and 4G cell signal. Still have 14 emails stuck in the outbox. I tried with K9 App and it worked instantly over WiFi and 4G so it has to be Gmail.

EDIT: Just deleted account AND deleted the actual App. Reinstalled app and account. Still wont send. Tried sending a test message and it is just sitting there. Account settings are correct, it verified them and I can use the exact same settings in K9 and it works.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You uninstalled and reinstalled the Gmail app? Try also clearing the cache and data from the Gmail app. The app data might carry over when you uninstall and then reinstall it.

ASD Dad

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
Mine is still having issues. I have tried everything I can think of short of a FDR which I am NOT doing just for Gmail. I am using a couple of new apps to try them out to see if I like them. Both (K9 and Alto) are working just fine sending.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I need it working!! Use my phone all day for work via email. Email sends just fine from POP3 account and my laptop for work so it isnt GoDaddy IMAP servers either.

Just to be clear, IMAP is used only for receiving and storing received messages. Messages are sent using SMTP servers.

If your SMTP server for this account is using the old unencrypted standard port 25, that may be the issue. Many (if not all) ISPs these days block port 25 to servers other than their own, in order to prevent spam. Most SMTP servers these days use encrypted TLS connections using ports 587 or 465. I'd look at your mail service provider to see if they support TLS connections to one of these ports.

ASD Dad

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
Just to be clear, IMAP is used only for receiving and storing received messages. Messages are sent using SMTP servers.

If your SMTP server for this account is using the old unencrypted standard port 25, that may be the issue. Many (if not all) ISPs these days block port 25 to servers other than their own, in order to prevent spam. Most SMTP servers these days use encrypted TLS connections using ports 587 or 465. I'd look at your mail service provider to see if they support TLS connections to one of these ports.

If there is a blocking issue going on why do apps like K9 or Alto work perfectly fine? Why did Gmail work fine for the past several years until recently?

Only thing I havent tried is firing up one of my backup phones to see if they still send through Gmail. I have a X Pure and Nexus 5x I could try out but I really just want my Force to work...

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
If there is a blocking issue going on why do apps like K9 or Alto work perfectly fine? Why did Gmail work fine for the past several years until recently?

Unless you manually configured the servers, most mail apps define the server settings for you. Again, it's possible that the Gmail app didn't configure your SMTP server settings properly. I'd try checking the settings to make sure that they match what they should be.

That said, I only use the Gmail app for Gmail. If I needed to use another non-gmail server, I'd use something like K9 mail. (Well, I would use exactly K9 mail.)