Every so often, any incoming or outgoing calls made go over the speaker phone. I've had this happen once before and as suddenly as it occurred, it went away. I just got a system update this past week. I suspect that the system update is the cause of this.

Has anyone else experienced this same issue before?
    05-28-2017 04:41 PM
    Does the phone have a Car Mode that might be getting activated by accident?
    05-28-2017 04:45 PM
    That's happened to me occasionally. It is annoying.
    05-28-2017 09:26 PM
    I've had this happen but only once. It happened after receiving a call just as I killed the ignition to exit my vehicle (and, connected Bluetooth). As I put a foot on the ground I heard my phone announce the call & afterwards, speakerphone became default. I remedied by clearing the recovery cache.
    05-29-2017 02:40 PM
    Moto voice is on which will announce calls and texts while driving. Just now as I made an outgoing call, it got placed on the speaker phone.

In talking with Verizon support, they first said to turn off Moto voice. It isn't practical to turn this on and off each time I get in the car or out of the car.

They then made a suggestion to clear the system cache partition. What will that do as far as data and apps that are installed?
    05-30-2017 11:53 AM
    They then made a suggestion to clear the system cache partition. What will that do as far as data and apps that are installed?
    Nothing. It is completely benign. It basically just clears old log files, temporary files, etc., that will no longer be necessary.
    maxman1 likes this.
    05-30-2017 02:06 PM
    Nothing. It is completely benign. It basically just clears old log files, temporary files, etc., that will no longer be necessary.
    I'm following steps provided by Verizon to wipe the cache partition, but it's not working.

I'm able to get as far as selecting recovery mode. The instructions at this point indicate that I should see the Android robot with the exclamation point, which I do. The instructions state I should hold the power button and press volume up. The only problem is that upon getting into recovery mode, all I see is 'no command.' No combination of button presses does anything.

What am I doing wrong?
    05-30-2017 07:03 PM
    Hmm, not sure. The instructions that I see say that when you see the red exclamation droid, hold the power button, press volume up once and then release the power button.

If that still doesn't work, try press power and volume up at exactly the same time.
    05-31-2017 06:03 AM
    If you have a bumper or other case on it, take it off so the buttons are more responsive.
    05-31-2017 07:38 AM
    Despite not successfully wiping the cache partition, turning off the phone and going into recovery mode seems to have fixed the issue with the calls over speaker phone.

While the official Motorola instructions indicated to press power and volume up to get the option to wipe the cache, another set of instructions indicated that it was necessary to boot into FastBoot mode and then the recovery mode, after which I would get the wipe cache option.
    05-31-2017 04:34 PM
    This seems to occur after letting Moto Voice answer a call for you ("Say answer or ignore" and you say "answer"). Once this happens, speakerphone defaults to on for any calls I receive (possibly calls I make but I can't remember). So far it seems that if I reboot, the problem goes away.

This sucks, as it tends to cause great pain in my ear when I answer if I don't remember to reboot. Definitely a bug since you can't undo it without rebooting.
    06-04-2017 12:24 PM
    I've talked to Verizon about this issue since it's still continuing to happen. I don't think they are aware of this issue as a bug and they just tell me since the phone is out of warranty that all I can do is do a factory reset. How is that going to fix the bug?

I have also contacted Motorola support and they have only suggested to clear the cache partition.

I don't think I should have to keep restarting the phone each time after I've used Moto voice.

What's the way that this could be proven as a known issue to Motorola so that it will get fixed?
    10-28-2017 10:34 AM
    What's interesting is that I haven't noticed this since my previous post in this thread... Are you on the latest update?
    10-28-2017 12:00 PM
    I'm on 7.1.1 with the September security update.

I answered a call via Moto voice on Friday afternoon and every incoming and outgoing call since then has the speaker phone on. I haven't restarted the phone yet.
    10-28-2017 04:59 PM
    Here's a twist on this..

ever since android 7 came out every time I try to initiate a call on my headset (from power save mode) my calls get kicked over to speaker phone. This started on my Samsung S7 but continues to happen on my Moto Z2 Play running 7.1.1 fully updated.

Any ideas?
    12-04-2017 12:32 PM