As a long time Droid fan starting with Droid X I just can't get myself to buy Moto again. There was a time when I wouldn't buy anything else despite having experienced lag with the likes of something called Motoblur. Then Motorola got their tail in gear putting less bloatware in their devices and then they sold to Google which was great and things were looking promising. Then came Lenovo and broken promises on updates and I just had to part company. Yeah, Lenovo seems to be trying but I just can't get excited about their products. I really considered the Z force but I hate that easy to scratch shatter shield nonsense and the mods don't do anything for me. I don't want to buy into a system like you do with DSLRs.
    Maybe some day I'll be back but I'm currently enjoying what I have and see no reason to upgrade unless someone comes out with something ground breaking. Right now the smartphone industry feels stagnant.
    For those of you enjoying your Motorola devices or any brand you prefer, I'm glad you're happy with your choice and don't let anyone get to you when they knock what you own. All of these phones have their good points and bad points and don't let anyone tell you different.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-31-2017 08:33 PM
    Just my 2 cents worth....yes shatter shield scratches easily, but if you ever drop your phone there is no worry of breaking the screen. Ever. Moto is still one of the few manufacturers that runs nearly stock Android, with added benefits in the Moto app. The Moto Mods may not be for everyone, that's understandable. I travel a lot for work, and see people scrambling to find power outlets in airports. I just chuckle and slap on my Incipio battery Mod and keep on moving. And the JBL Sound boost is pretty awesome, in my humble opinion.

There is a rumored Moto X 2017 that will not be a Moto Mod phone and continue the Moto X lineup. Maybe that's something to consider?
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-31-2017 08:39 PM
    Just my 2 cents worth....yes shatter shield scratches easily, but if you ever drop your phone there is no worry of breaking the screen. Ever. Moto is still one of the few manufacturers that runs nearly stock Android, with added benefits in the Moto app. The Moto Mods may not be for everyone, that's understandable. I travel a lot for work, and see people scrambling to find power outlets in airports. I just chuckle and slap on my Incipio battery Mod and keep on moving. And the JBL Sound boost is pretty awesome, in my humble opinion.

There is a rumored Moto X 2017 that will not be a Moto Mod phone and continue the Moto X lineup. Maybe that's something to consider?
    Yes I heard that about the X line
    05-31-2017 09:22 PM
    Mike, if not Moto, what device are you currently using?
    06-01-2017 11:20 AM
    Mike, if not Moto, what device are you currently using?
    I don't run with the crowd so I have an LG V20 and I won't give it up for anything except for another media beast. It's not for everyone but most people who own one and frequent this forum love it.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-01-2017 01:31 PM
    I don't run with the crowd so I have an LG V20 and I won't give it up for anything except for another media beast. It's not for everyone but most people who own one and frequent this forum love it.
    ...yes. we know. lol.

ROLL CALL!
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-01-2017 01:58 PM
    ...yes. we know. lol.

ROLL CALL!
    06-01-2017 05:46 PM
    As a long time Droid fan starting with Droid X I just can't get myself to buy Moto again. There was a time when I wouldn't buy anything else despite having experienced lag with the likes of something called Motoblur. Then Motorola got their tail in gear putting less bloatware in their devices and then they sold to Google which was great and things were looking promising. Then came Lenovo and broken promises on updates and I just had to part company. Yeah, Lenovo seems to be trying but I just can't get excited about their products. I really considered the Z force but I hate that easy to scratch shatter shield nonsense and the mods don't do anything for me. I don't want to buy into a system like you do with DSLRs.
    Maybe some day I'll be back but I'm currently enjoying what I have and see no reason to upgrade unless someone comes out with something ground breaking. Right now the smartphone industry feels stagnant.
    For those of you enjoying your Motorola devices or any brand you prefer, I'm glad you're happy with your choice and don't let anyone get to you when they knock what you own. All of these phones have their good points and bad points and don't let anyone tell you different.
    So what compelled you to come into this forum and spout your opinion . I'm not trying to be mean . But trolling the Z forums just seems like a waste of time. Are you trying to justify buying your V20 . And honestly I'm glad you like the V20 because it would suck buying if you didn't like it. Everyone buys their phones and brands for very personal reasons. Sorry you don't like the Moto Z Force Droid your lose. It's a awesome phone. And I don't even own any mods.
    06-01-2017 07:25 PM
    So what compelled you to come into this forum and spout your opinion . I'm not trying to be mean . But trolling the Z forums just seems like a waste of time. Are you trying to justify buying your V20 . And honestly I'm glad you like the V20 because it would suck buying if you didn't like it. Everyone buys their phones and brands for very personal reasons. Sorry you don't like the Moto Z Force Droid your lose. It's a awesome phone. And I don't even own any mods.
    No one is trolling the forum. I'm allowed to post my opinions anywhere I like and I didn't bring up the V20 until someone asked me what I own. I didn't say the Z force was a bad phone. I stated that I wished Moto was back at the helm. You don't have to agree with me.
    06-01-2017 07:46 PM
    No one is trolling the forum. I'm allowed to post my opinions anywhere I like and I didn't bring up the V20 until someone asked me what I own. I didn't say the Z force was a bad phone. I stated that I wished Moto was back at the helm. You don't have to agree with me.
    ^ That.
    06-01-2017 07:55 PM
    Also the Moto features like chop for flashlight, twist camera on and active display...

I really like Moto but I hear where your coming from. I'll probably go another route this time. Possibly V30
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-01-2017 08:30 PM
    Also the Moto features like chop for flashlight, twist camera on and active display...

I really like Moto but I hear where your coming from. I'll probably go another route this time. Possibly V30
    Moto always had some interesting features built into their software. The Droid X would stop ringing if you turned it over and placed it face down. Great feature but it was buggy... They fixed it and then removed it during an update.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-01-2017 09:20 PM
    Moto always had some interesting features built into their software. The Droid X would stop ringing if you turned it over and placed it face down. Great feature but it was buggy... They fixed it and then removed it during an update.
    And it's back in the Z Series and works great.
    Redbert31 and Laura Knotek like this.
    06-01-2017 09:52 PM
    Loved that feature when in a meeting. If I recall correctly the bug was that it would turn off the ringer or the speaker and it would not come back on automatically by holding it up to ear.
    My Droid Razr Maxx or the Droid Maxx also had smart actions.
    06-01-2017 10:50 PM
    My first moto, z play droid. No mods and I love the phone besides the camera needs to be better. Other than that I feel it's a great phone without any mods. The mods are cool for those that want them.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-02-2017 08:35 PM
    Ok....it's 2017, and since 2011 I have had a fair number of devices. But my favorite to this day is the 2013 X. Moto hit that out of the park for me. People knocked it because the spec sheet wasn't spectacular. But it didn't need to be. It was a great phone in one package. Then, slowly, things started going in a downward spiral from my point of view.

The Z series is a good start. Moto saying the Mods being compatible with the next Z series was a good move, not to mention the basic structure of the mods themselves. Simple plug and play. No tearing apart the phone to swap anything.

I don't want to see Moto go away....far from it. The thing is, Moto would have to somehow magically do everything right in the next series for me to consider them. Honestly, I would not know what that combo would be to be. But I truly hope they can capture my interest when the announcement comes.
    Laura Knotek and Scott337 like this.
    06-02-2017 08:49 PM
    I'm a g5 plus and iPhone 7 user and I love the idea of the Moto mods. In fact when my iPhone 7 is due an upgrade I can see myself getting another Motorola device. As my daily driver.
    06-03-2017 06:10 AM
    Ok....it's 2017, and since 2011 I have had a fair number of devices. But my favorite to this day is the 2013 X. Moto hit that out of the park for me. People knocked it because the spec sheet wasn't spectacular. But it didn't need to be. It was a great phone in one package. Then, slowly, things started going in a downward spiral from my point of view.

The Z series is a good start. Moto saying the Mods being compatible with the next Z series was a good move, not to mention the basic structure of the mods themselves. Simple plug and play. No tearing apart the phone to swap anything.

I don't want to see Moto go away....far from it. The thing is, Moto would have to somehow magically do everything right in the next series for me to consider them. Honestly, I would not know what that combo would be to be. But I truly hope they can capture my interest when the announcement comes.
    Right on the money
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
    06-03-2017 10:03 AM

The original Moto X was awesome! Loved it. Many of the features introduced in that phone are now baked into stock Android. 👍
    06-03-2017 10:41 AM
    The mod system isn't a good reason to avoid the Moto Z lineup, because it's not at all necessary to use it. The only mod I have (aside from a couple style backs) is the first gen speaker, and I rarely use it. The Z Force is a very good phone without any mods, so there's no reason to buy them unless you want to, and no reason you'd get "locked in" to one phone line.

Tempered glass screen protectors are abundant and cheap, so the screen scratching isn't really an issue either, unless you just absolutely hate having a protector.

I too was burned by the lack of follow-through on promised updates (Droid MAXX), but so far Lenovo is doing pretty well with updates to the Z's. It's June, and we're on the May security patch. The June patch only just rolled out to Nexus/Pixel last week, so we're only just barely behind the bleeding edge on security updates. We're on Android 7.0, so not the absolute latest, but pretty good. So far I'm pleased with the updates, though we'll see how Lenovo does in the 12-24 month age span where support tends to drop off from most manufacturers.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-12-2017 01:27 PM
    The mod system isn't a good reason to avoid the Moto Z lineup, because it's not at all necessary to use it. The only mod I have (aside from a couple style backs) is the first gen speaker, and I rarely use it. The Z Force is a very good phone without any mods, so there's no reason to buy them unless you want to, and no reason you'd get "locked in" to one phone line.

Tempered glass screen protectors are abundant and cheap, so the screen scratching isn't really an issue either, unless you just absolutely hate having a protector.

I too was burned by the lack of follow-through on promised updates (Droid MAXX), but so far Lenovo is doing pretty well with updates to the Z's. It's June, and we're on the May security patch. The June patch only just rolled out to Nexus/Pixel last week, so we're only just barely behind the bleeding edge on security updates. We're on Android 7.0, so not the absolute latest, but pretty good. So far I'm pleased with the updates, though we'll see how Lenovo does in the 12-24 month age span where support tends to drop off from most manufacturers.
    Agree. My Z play is a great phone without any mods. Only thing I'd like better is the camera and I don't think the camera mod improves much besides actual zoom. Maybe if I have it long enough for the battery to start fading a battery mod would give it a longer life.
    06-14-2017 02:43 PM
    Agree. My Z play is a great phone without any mods. Only thing I'd like better is the camera and I don't think the camera mod improves much besides actual zoom. Maybe if I have it long enough for the battery to start fading a battery mod would give it a longer life.
    It was true that you didn't need to get Mods, however with the now gimped battery of the Zforce2, most consumers will have to buy a mod just to have a decent battery.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    08-08-2017 09:02 AM