I use a calendar app that sends an SMS reminder to me on my Moto Z Force. I use the standard Messages app and the reminder basically is an SMS that I send to myself from my own phone number. In the People & options menu, I have created a specific notification sound for these SMS messages, so, the sound is unique to messages from my phone number. I've found, however, that the custom notification sound reverts to the default sound after a while.

Could it be that the sound will revert to default if I delete the "conversation"? I haven't tested that theory, but I would think that the custom sound sticks with the selected number even after a conversation is deleted. Thanks!
    06-15-2017 01:51 PM
    I use a calendar app that sends an SMS reminder to me on my Moto Z Force. I use the standard Messages app and the reminder basically is an SMS that I send to myself from my own phone number. In the People & options menu, I have created a specific notification sound for these SMS messages, so, the sound is unique to messages from my phone number. I've found, however, that the custom notification sound reverts to the default sound after a while.

Could it be that the sound will revert to default if I delete the "conversation"? I haven't tested that theory, but I would think that the custom sound sticks with the selected number even after a conversation is deleted. Thanks!
    Without testing, it looks like the Custom Notification is conversation not contact specific.
    06-15-2017 03:46 PM
    Without testing, it looks like the Custom Notification is conversation not contact specific.
    Thanks! If that's the case, do you think that, by not deleting the conversation, the custom notification would stick? These SMSs are like the typical ones, in that every new reminder SMS is appended to the conversation.
    06-15-2017 06:31 PM
    Thanks! If that's the case, do you think that, by not deleting the conversation, the custom notification would stick?
    It works like this in Verizon's Message +.
    Great app.
    06-16-2017 08:37 AM
    Since we can set with text apps to use, I'd imagine that the alert isn't a system setting.
    06-16-2017 12:19 PM
    Thanks, everyone. So far, it's been working as long as I don't delete the conversation in Messages. I can delete the individual messages, but that's a pain as I can delete only one at a time. I guess it doesn't matter how many calendar messages pile up. I had tried Verizon Message+, but preferred the default app, Messages. I think it worked a little better with my calendar app, CalenGoo. I'm not sure that I could assign a custom sound to a conversation or contact in Message+. If I can, perhaps you can share instructions or point me to menu item to do so. One thing that I did like better about Message+ was that I could select individual conversations all at once and delete them.
    06-16-2017 12:51 PM
    I had tried Verizon Message+, but preferred the default app, Messages. I'm not sure that I could assign a custom sound to a conversation or contact in Message+. If I can, perhaps you can share instructions or point me to menu item to do so.
    With the conversation showing, tap on the 3-button menu in the upper right hand corner of the screen and tap "Customize." Then tap on "Tones" and select the notification you want to associate with the contact you are conversing with.
    06-16-2017 05:04 PM