I'm, getting a new Jeep with a Uconnect 8.4 NAV. The Uconnect offers Android users the ability to send and receive SMS messages, if their phones support the MAP protocol. I searched, but can't find whether my Motorola Moto Z Force, Android 7.1.1, is compatible. Can anyone provide some guidance? I don't have the vehicle yet, so I can't just test it myself. Thanks.
    09-29-2017 11:01 PM
    I can't say for certain about the X Force, but my wife's Z Play sends messages via her Jeep Cherokee UConnect 8.4; so I don't see why the Z Force wouldn't be supported.
    09-30-2017 07:02 AM
    Thanks very much, Scott. I ordered an '18 Grand Cherokee, which will have the 8.4, so I'll find out soon enough. From what I understand, the ability to initiate normal SMS messages requires an add-on feature called Uconnect Access. I think that I get a one-year trial, and then it costs something to subscribe. If you don't have Access, all you can do is answer incoming SMS with one of about 20 canned replies.
    09-30-2017 07:49 AM
    My Z Force works great in my Ram with Uconnect.
    10-02-2017 08:07 AM
    My Z Force works great in my Ram with Uconnect.
    Thanks. Is yours the 8.4? I have a 730n in my JK, but SMS only works sporadically and only lets me reply when it works at all. I'm hopeful that I can use SMS normally when I get my Grand Cherokee.
    10-02-2017 08:36 AM
    The only problem we have found is that the newest U Connect and the Moto App - Driving Mode both prompt for a new text and then both ask if we would like to reply. She stopped using the Moto App driving mode while in her Cherokee and uses the U Connect prompt to send replies
    10-02-2017 08:41 AM
    The only problem we have found is that the newest U Connect and the Moto App - Driving Mode both prompt for a new text and then both ask if we would like to reply. She stopped using the Moto App driving mode while in her Cherokee and uses the U Connect prompt to send replies
    Yeah, it's the Moto app that I use now with the 730n in the JK. Driving mode is on and announces a new SMS, but not always through the bluetooth system. It sometimes just uses the phone, which is in my pocket. I may be able to reply. I cannot initiate an SMS, and Uconnect said that SMS is not supported in the 730n. I'll have to see whether it's worth $150/year to use SMS in my new Jeep after the 1-year trial ends.
    10-02-2017 08:50 AM
    Yeah, it's the Moto app that I use now with the 730n in the JK. Driving mode is on and announces a new SMS, but not always through the bluetooth system. It sometimes just uses the phone, which is in my pocket. I may be able to reply. I cannot initiate an SMS, and Uconnect said that SMS is not supported in the 730n. I'll have to see whether it's worth $150/year to use SMS in my new Jeep after the 1-year trial ends.
    I have no issues with Driving Mode on my Z Force, using a Bluetooth kit that plug into the Aux port in my Wrangler. It always works. The new text message via hands free is a recent issue with an update to the Google App.

I was not aware of a fee to continue using certain U Connect features, may have to look into that and re-read all of the U Connect documents and e-mail. I certainly don't plan on paying an annual fee just for SMS support.
    10-02-2017 09:25 AM
    Thanks. Is yours the 8.4? I have a 730n in my JK, but SMS only works sporadically and only lets me reply when it works at all. I'm hopeful that I can use SMS normally when I get my Grand Cherokee.
    It's 8.4 but I also subscribe to Uconnect which I guess works different than no subscribing and using Moto or Google assistant.
    10-02-2017 12:21 PM
    I was not aware of a fee to continue using certain U Connect features, may have to look into that and re-read all of the U Connect documents and e-mail. I certainly don't plan on paying an annual fee just for SMS support.
    Uconnect 8.4, itself, does not require a fee for full SMS, but allows only a handful of canned replies. The add-on feature, named Uconect Access, allows full SMS and costs $150 a year, though you may be able to pay monthly. Access also offers other premium features that are included in the $150.
    Scott337 likes this.
    10-04-2017 01:12 PM
    Uconnect 8.4, itself, does not require a fee for full SMS, but allows only a handful of canned replies. The add-on feature, named Uconect Access, allows full SMS and costs $150 a year, though you may be able to pay monthly. Access also offers other premium features that are included in the $150.
    Thanks for the update.
    10-04-2017 01:19 PM