Galaxy Note 10 Deal: BOGO at Verizon!
    Worst phone I ever owned. Horrible battery life. It randomly shuts off. I will have 30% (or anything more than 0) and it will turn off. By 9:30 am it is almost dead and needs recharged several times a day. Tried hard reset. Tried clear cache. Tried battery calibration. Tried safe mode. Nothing helps. I see I'm not the only one so it must be software. Shuts off several times a day. Any advice before I smash it?
    Attached Thumbnails horrible battery-32637.jpg  
    jdhamblin likes this.
    04-11-2018 12:01 PM
    Have you checked in Settings/Battery to see if there is any unusual app activity? Also, you could check in Developer Options/Running Services to see if there is any unusual activity. Another thing is in Settings/Location/3 dots/Scanning. Do you have Bluetooth and wifi scanning enabled? If so, that does a great job of draining battery. How old is the phone?
    Scott337 likes this.
    04-11-2018 12:15 PM
    it's less than a year old. I do see it is on scanning so I will try that. Thanks
    04-11-2018 01:05 PM
    That solid green line under Awake looks like you have an app (or process) running all the time in the background, killing your battery. I have hardly any line at all under Awake.
    maxman1 likes this.
    04-11-2018 01:07 PM
    Hmmm. I don't see anything unusually high. How do I find what it is?
    04-11-2018 01:08 PM
    Sorry, I got really busy at work. I don't remember where off the top of my head but somewhere in the Settings is a place to see all running apps & processes
    04-11-2018 02:14 PM
    Sorry, I got really busy at work. I don't remember where off the top of my head but somewhere on the Settings is a place to see all running apps & processes
    That option is included in the Developer Options now.
    Scott337 likes this.
    04-11-2018 02:16 PM
    An app like GSAM Battery Monitor can also help identify what apps are using a lot of battery. I have used it many times over the years.
    04-11-2018 02:44 PM
    That solid green line under Awake looks like you have an app (or process) running all the time in the background, killing your battery. I have hardly any line at all under Awake.
    Listening to music with the screen off is an example of something that will keep the phone awake while the screen is off. I also notice that there was a period of time with bad cellular signal that would be pretty hard on battery, but that doesn’t explain everything.

Suddenly turning off at something like 30% sounds a lot like the issues that people have been slamming Apple about throttling the phone. Apple throttles when the battery cannot supply enough voltage to keep the phone running; otherwise, you get a sudden shutdown like that. Motorola has said that they don’t throttle. Maybe they should.
    04-11-2018 07:05 PM
    Is there a battery app that can tell how much the battery has lost capacity similar to the iOS 11.3 Battery Health feature?
    dmgerbino likes this.
    04-18-2018 02:33 PM
    Is there a battery app that can tell how much the battery has lost capacity similar to the iOS 11.3 Battery Health feature?
    Accubattery can check your battery health. Also, they could try the 'Help' app (Fix - hardware tests - battery).
    Ry likes this.
    04-18-2018 03:37 PM
    Accubattery can check your battery health. Also, they could try the 'Help' app (Fix - hardware tests - battery).
    Thanks!!
    04-18-2018 04:08 PM
    Worst phone I ever owned. Horrible battery life. It randomly shuts off. I will have 30% (or anything more than 0) and it will turn off. By 9:30 am it is almost dead and needs recharged several times a day. Tried hard reset. Tried clear cache. Tried battery calibration. Tried safe mode. Nothing helps. I see I'm not the only one so it must be software. Shuts off several times a day. Any advice before I smash it?
    Your other thread shows that you are running an app called Dumpster. I see quite a few low ratings in Google Play with comments about very high battery usage. Your first step would be to uninstall that app and see if the problem goes away. If not, you can always reinstall it.

Sudden drops like you have in the middle of your graph probably indicate that the battery is failing. I can't explain why yours would be failing this early on, but that drop is highly unusual.
    doogald likes this.
    04-20-2018 05:33 PM
    I have been having this problem since the release of 7.1.1 on my Moto Z. In researching it on the Verizon and the Moto blogs, there are thousands of owners with this problem and no fixes that have been proposed have worked. It appears that maybe the 8.0 Oreo release might fix it. Maybe even fix the loss of bluetooth that happened on a prior system release. Does anyone know if Oreo corrects either of these?
    04-30-2018 07:49 PM