Messages Notification on Oreo

Kupo15

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if anyone else is having this problem, but for whatever reason after updating to Oreo, my notifications for the Android Messages app defaulted to turn on vibrate along with the default notification sound.

I've changed it, but for some reason, each individual contact that I've texted is stuck on that vibrate/default notification.

Anyone know a fix for this? I've already tried restarting the phone with the adjusted settings.

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
Are you using custom tones or stock tones? I have had some problems trying to use custom tones / sounds on Oreo. Try picking one of the stock sounds and see if it works

Kupo15

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I don't think it's the custom tones, which I am using. It seems new contacts are affected by the General Settings change, but if you're having the same problem as I am, go into other contacts and look at their individual notification settings. Everyone that you've contacted before via text is defaulted to the stock settings.

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
For the Messages app I only use one sound for all new messages. I haven't personalized individual Contacts with a unique sound in a long time. But in general there have been some posts about issues using custom sounds in Oreo for any action and any notification.

Kupo15

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
That's what I mean. I don't use unique tones for individual contacts. Since this new update, each contact is affected and doesn't adjust to the changes in general notifications for Messages. But you're right - as I'm doing more research, it seems like a lot of people are experiencing the same problems which is a pain in the butt.

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
Also make sure you clear your cache partition after any big update. :)
I cleared mine six times. Still having some issues with some apps that have their own custom Notification sounds. Oreo just will not see those sound files and only allows me to pick stock sounds. I'm OK with it, I just picked a stock sound and the app works again and stopped killing my battery.

Bitterman

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
My only other suggestion would be try uninstalling and reinstalling the apps? I have run into situations where some apps didn't work right after a big OS update. Good luck!

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
Thanks. In my case I did that, because it was draining battery. That's when I discovered why. Oreo couldn't see the notification sounds for the app. When I reinstalled it I still absolutely cannot pick one of it's custom sounds. I can only pick a stock sound. I'm good with it, I can live with it. I'm just pointing out that there are threads like this on other Forums also for Moto Z phones and Oreo. Oreo does work with some custom notification sounds, but definitely does not work the same as previous Android versions.

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Are you using custom tones or stock tones? I have had some problems trying to use custom tones / sounds on Oreo. Try picking one of the stock sounds and see if it works
Ditto. What I've found that actually works & "sticks" is to use the stock Android media app to set, pick a contact, scroll to the bottom of the ringtone list and click on the "Add Ringtone" option. Using the left side menu, locate the file you wish to add (using stock File Manager or 3rd party) and select it. It will now appear in your list of ringtones & can now be selected. I reset all my custom tones this way without issue using the stock media app. Everything else that once worked no longer does or, disappeared on reboot. Zedge does work but I prefer not to use it for actially setting tones. FWIW, this also works for MP3 song files.

basebounce

Jun 28, 2018
Visit site
i cant get my badges to stay when i have un read messages on anything on oreo i need these or how will i no when i have a text im at work 8 hours aday and flick them of the home screen then when i finish my phone shows as if nothing ther ebut really there is unread messages every were in email/messanger/fb/watsapp/snapchat please please help

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
i cant get my badges to stay when i have un read messages on anything on oreo i need these or how will i no when i have a text im at work 8 hours aday and flick them of the home screen then when i finish my phone shows as if nothing ther ebut really there is unread messages every were in email/messanger/fb/watsapp/snapchat please please help
Do you have the new Dots feature turned on?

basebounce

Jun 28, 2018
Visit site
hi yes i do they do not work neither as soon as i swipe away a message on lock screen it disapears? please help i had 4 messages yday in texts and inbox didnt even no till 3 hours later! x

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
hi yes i do they do not work neither as soon as i swipe away a message on lock screen it disapears? please help i had 4 messages yday in texts and inbox didnt even no till 3 hours later! x
I see what you mean. As soon as you seipe away a notification the dot disappears. Our stock Launcher (launcher 3) doesn't have unread message count anymoy. It now has the Oreo Dots. You probably only have two choices: 1) do t swipe away notification so the dots stay on the app icon. Or 2) use a different launcher that has unread message count built in.

basebounce

Jun 28, 2018
Visit site
what is a diff launcher how do i do that? - should i just change phones do u think what does not use oreo? im stressed out i dont no why any1 would think this is acceptable

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
First off, I would say don't stress over a phone. It's just an electronic device and a tool to communicate. It's not worth the stress. Most modern phones are going to run Oreo. But any phone with stock Android (Moto, Pixel) is going to be the same. Different phones run their own version of Android and make it look & feel a little different than stock. A launcher is basically an app, you can download a different launcher from the Play Store and it changes the home screen look & feel, app drawer, etc.

Bitterman

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
FYI - The message count works for Verizon Message + after you swipe away the lock screen notice.
7e7ff0a14b6970827484d663a91c6871.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech