06-09-2016 01:39 PM
137 12345 ...
tools
    The more I think about this, the more I have to agree this is not looking good. Rumors are pointing to an all-metal phone, which sounds like they're abandoning the cool color and material options that have been available since the beginning of the Moto renaissance.
    Quite the contrary on this point. The custom backs can be easily swapped now.
    Ry and Citizen Coyote like this.
    05-09-2016 10:04 AM
    Quite the contrary on this point. The custom backs can be easily swapped now.
    We're looking at MOTO G -like swappable rear covers?

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition
    05-09-2016 11:59 AM
    05-09-2016 12:08 PM
    I would put this as a 9.5/10 credibility. A lot of what is mentioned is what I have seen and heard.
    slides and Ry like this.
    05-09-2016 12:50 PM
    Swappable backs is welcome news. Still reserving judgment, but I'm a little more hopeful now.

Edit: Hrmm. Read the article linked above. A 5.5" quad HD display with only a 2600 mAh battery?

I know one of the so-called "amps" (back plates) is supposedly a battery pack, but man. That battery size is worrisome. Also, 5.5" screen with the bezels pictured plants this thing firmly in phablet category in my mind. Sigh.
    05-09-2016 01:13 PM
    I would put this as a 9.5/10 credibility. A lot of what is mentioned is what I have seen and heard.
    At 2600mAh for the QHD, one of the backs better be a battery pack
    05-09-2016 01:14 PM
    The spec sheet sounds fine, though battery on the Vector Thin may be an issue. I like the return to AOMLED.

Sleek and powerful
    Both models feature 5.5-inch AMOLED displays, but otherwise, their spec sheets read completely differently, according to the person who shared the details. Vector Thin is the decidedly higher-end handset, with a Quad HD resolution to Vertex’s Full HD display, and a slightly lower-clocked version of Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 820 system-on-chip (2.0GHz quad core) to its sibling’s Snapdragon 625 (an octa core chip reportedly clocked at 2.4GHz instead of the stock 2.0GHz).

Vector Thin will ship with 32GB of storage capacity in conjunction with either 3GB or 4GB of RAM, while Vertex will allegedly come in either 16GB storage / 2GB RAM or 32GB storage / 3GB RAM configurations. Camera configurations are also said to differ. Vertex purportedly sports a 16-megapixel sensor with both laser-assisted and phase detection autofocus technologies, while Vector’s 13-megapixel sensor has only the laser AF, but with optical image stabilization thrown in too.

Externally, the only major difference, as its name suggests, is Vector Thin’s incredibly svelte profile: at 5.2 millimeters thick, it’s even slimmer than Vertex’s already respectable thickness of about 7mm. As you might suspect, Vector’s thinness comes at the price of reduced battery capacity: It contains just a 2600mAh cell, compared to the 3500mAh pack in the less-pixel-dense Vertex.
    Vertex (Moto X Play successor?):
    • 5.5" Full HD AMOLED
    • Snapdragon 625
    • 16GB/2GB RAM or 32GB/3GB RAM
    • 16MP camera with laser-assisted and phase detection autofocus
    • 3500 mAh battery

Vector Thin (Moto X Style successor?):
    • 5.5" Quad HD AMOLED
    • Snapdragon 820
    • 32GB/3GB RAM or 32GB/4GB RAM
    • 13MP camera with laser autofocus and optical image stabilization
    • 2600 mAh battery

Maybe the 16MP camera for the Vertex is the same as the LG G5's main camera. The 13 MP in the Vector Thin sounds like the same Sony sensor used in the Nexus 6P and HTC 10.

Modular done right
    The bigger story here starts with those 16 holes seen on the back of the white Vertex, above. While they’ve been written off in some coverage as speaker ports, they are actually connection pins that allow modular backplates to be snapped onto either handset.

Motorola has at least six modules, called “Amps,” planned for launch, including a simple colored backplate that ships free with both handsets. The more interesting ones will be, of course, sold separately, both from Moto as well as third-party manufacturers. The first-party modules available at launch allegedly include stereo speakers; a battery pack; a camera grip with flash and optical zoom; a pico projector; and a rugged cover with wide angle lens attachment.

It should now be clear that the phones’ protruding camera lens will actually sit flush when there are Amps attached. They’re connected magnetically in a manner that was said to make for a tight, secure connection while also allowing for easy removal.

This modular system, and the one introduced by LG with the LG G5, are undoubtedly similar and will prompt comparisons in the press. And despite being first to market, LG is very likely going to come out on the losing end of these evaluations. Focusing so tightly on offering a removable battery seems to have hamstrung the Korean manufacturer into a form factor not nearly as well-suited for the task as Motorola’s.

While pricing and release details aren’t yet known for the Moto X pair (nor their likely doppelgängers on Verizon, the Droid Turbo 3 and Droid Maxx 3), the date on the renders, August 24, may prove significant. [Update: Droid-Life is reporting that these will launch on June 9th at Lenovo Tech World.]
    Looks like Moto is going the LG route with Friends being "Amps". The six mentioned need to be available from day 1.
    05-09-2016 01:24 PM
    At 2600mAh for the QHD, one of the backs better be a battery pack
    Rumor has it that there at least six and when an "Amp" is attached, the camera module sits flush.

Motorola has at least six modules, called “Amps,” planned for launch, including a simple colored backplate that ships free with both handsets. The more interesting ones will be, of course, sold separately, both from Moto as well as third-party manufacturers. The first-party modules available at launch allegedly include stereo speakers; a battery pack; a camera grip with flash and optical zoom; a pico projector; and a rugged cover with wide angle lens attachment.
    • New color
    • Stereo Speakers
    • Battery Pack
    • Camera Grip with Flash and Optical Zoom???
    • Pico Projector
    • Rugged Cover with Wide Angle Lens Attachment
    05-09-2016 01:26 PM
    Vertex, Moto X Play successor? Will be the DROID MAXX 3 on Verizon?

Vector Thin, Moto X Style successor? Will it be the DROID TURBO 3 for Verizon or is there a third variant that's more of a direct successor to the Moto X Force?

And will Vector Thin be available for use on Verizon like the Moto X Pure Edition is?
    05-09-2016 01:40 PM
    Vertex, Moto X Play successor? Will be the DROID MAXX 3 on Verizon?

Vector Thin, Moto X Style successor? Will it be the DROID TURBO 3 for Verizon or is there a third variant that's more of a direct successor to the Moto X Force?

And will Vector Thin be available for use on Verizon like the Moto X Pure Edition is?
    I never hear what the names are going to be, so I don't know. Also, I've only seen the thin version. I honestly don't know how they stuffed a 2600mAh battery in there. Ironically enough, when I first saw one with the screen on, I got excited and thought it was AMOLED, but I was told LCD. I was almost certain it was AMOLED, so maybe he didn't know. I heard about 5/6 of the modules. Never heard of the projector one. That will be interesting to see.
    Ry likes this.
    05-09-2016 01:53 PM
    Front panel of Motorola Moto X4 leaked; screen to be shatterproof like the DROID Turbo 2?

"moto" logo on the front. Shatterproof screen?
    05-09-2016 01:57 PM
    I never hear what the names are going to be, so I don't know. Also, I've only seen the thin version. I honestly don't know how they stuffed a 2600mAh battery in there. Ironically enough, when I first saw one with the screen on, I got excited and thought it was AMOLED, but I was told LCD. I was almost certain it was AMOLED, so maybe he didn't know. I heard about 5/6 of the modules. Never heard of the projector one. That will be interesting to see.
    Really hoping to see a return to AMOLED .
    05-09-2016 02:11 PM
    Transform.. ..in a snap.

05-09-2016 05:04 PM
    I don't get the gadget add ons LG and now moto will try...who wants to carry around extra baggage aside from the phone? Not me. Hastle to keep up with and just bottom line lame.

Posted via the Android Central App
    VAYinzer likes this.
    05-09-2016 05:59 PM
    I don't get the gadget add ons LG and now moto will try...who wants to carry around extra baggage aside from the phone? Not me. Hastle to keep up with and just bottom line lame.

Like the LG G5, you can not buy any of the add-ons. None of these are required.

05-09-2016 07:28 PM
    The more I think about this, the more I have to agree this is not looking good. Rumors are pointing to an all-metal phone, which sounds like they're abandoning the cool color and material options that have been available since the beginning of the Moto renaissance. Also assures no wireless charging. The fat bottom bezel makes me sad (especially looking at the lovely thin bezels on my Moto X 2014). That back camera... thing, and the weird speaker/contact pins...

Ugh. Just ugh. I'll reserve final opinion for the actual reveal, but I'm not optimistic. If this is really it, please Google make the next Nexus something wonderful.
    Agree completely. This is the first Moto X I just can't get excited about. My Pure has been great, and I don't see anything with the 2016 that makes me want to retire it just yet.

Uncle Louie likes this.
    05-09-2016 09:05 PM
    Maybe the 16MP camera for the Vertex is the same as the LG G5's main camera. The 13 MP in the Vector Thin sounds like the same Sony sensor used in the Nexus 6P and HTC 10.
    ..actually the Nexus 6P and HTC 10 use a 12.3MP camera.

05-09-2016 09:08 PM
    Yeah, curious but not excited. Normally I would grab a Moto as soon as it came out (have had a couple if Razrs, OG Moto x, Droid Turbo, and the X Pure, between the design and the current state of their service and warranty support, think I will wait for the new Nexus, but keep an eye on this and the HTC 10 as a backup plan
    Uncle Louie likes this.
    05-10-2016 07:43 AM
    Yeah, curious but not excited. Normally I would grab a Moto as soon as it came out (have had a couple if Razrs, OG Moto x, Droid Turbo, and the X Pure, between the design and the current state of their service and warranty support, think I will wait for the new Nexus, but keep an eye on this and the HTC 10 as a backup plan
    Same situation for me. I always anxiously an I irate getting Moto's yearly release but my first impression of this one is that it kinda sucks. I have a 6P so I'll probably just wait for the new nexus. Especially if it is indeed being made by htc (the 10 is a slick phone, I checked it out yesterday).
    05-10-2016 08:18 PM
    To even consider this phone (and I have owned the 2013, 2014, and 2015 X, along with the droid turbo and pretty much loved them all) I would need to see some guarantee of updates and security updates, along with evidence that there wont need to be a parade of more class action lawsuits just to get basic warranty support. In other words...its a possible purchase for me but not for several months after release, by which time the next Nexus already has a spot on my debit card reserved...
    05-11-2016 10:24 AM
    ..actually the Nexus 6P and HTC 10 use a 12.3MP camera.

Close, but the HTC 10 has hardware Optical Image Stabilization
    05-11-2016 06:23 PM
    Close, but the HTC 10 has hardware Optical Image Stabilization
    Rumor has it this 13MP camera for the next Moto X has laser-autofocus and optical image stabilization.

Nexus 6P and HTC 10 both use Sony's IMX377 camera sensor.

05-11-2016 09:22 PM
    Nooooo! Darn that's a shame. Back where the m is or on the right side power button would be much better.
    This ^^^

05-12-2016 12:34 AM
    Hmm.

https://www.twitter.com/evleaks/stat...92427202301952

05-16-2016 10:29 PM
    Hmm.

https://www.twitter.com/evleaks/stat...92427202301952

[TWEET]732392427202301952[/TWEET]

Oh, uh, eh?