Moto X 2016

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
New 2016 Moto X and Droid leak reveals potential dock connector | Android Central

They're really bad

droid-motox-leak-1.jpg

Nope. Those are terrible. M is still there where the FPS should be; speaker is where the nothing should be; FPS is where the speaker should be and why the heck does the camera have a flat tire? Who's smoking all this crack at Lenovo?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Curious to hear what that connector is for.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

slides

Jan 8, 2016
Visit site
Assuming happasaiyan is correct, the back is not a speaker, contacts for add on modules (they do look metallic). Maybe something like LGs camera module or extra battery?

Agree, they do not look good - thought Osterloh leaving might be a bad sign, guess it was.

Looks like I am all in for Nexus HTC (or maybe HTC 10, if nexus lets me down)

craZDude

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
And look at those bezels! Especially the bottom one. The Droid variant even has room for the Verizon branding on the front between the FPS and the screen. Just gross 😫

Posted via the Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Assuming happasaiyan is correct, the back is not a speaker, contacts for add on modules (they do look metallic). Maybe something like LGs camera module or extra battery?

Agree, they do not look good - thought Osterloh leaving might be a bad sign, guess it was.

Looks like I am all in for Nexus HTC (or maybe HTC 10, if nexus lets me down)

To be fair, the was far in the pipeline with Osterloh.

slides

Jan 8, 2016
Visit site
To be fair, the was far in the pipeline with Osterloh.

True, guess the question for me is how much say did he still have? Maybe this was his say. Just disappointing.

Last edited:

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Curious to hear what that connector is for.

Clip on accessories no one will buy! Yay

Anyways, on the aesthetics, I like the way it looks. Looks better than my "ET phone home" nexus 6p lol.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
New 2016 Moto X and Droid leak reveals potential dock connector | Android Central

They're really bad

http://www.androidcentral.com/sites.../2016/05/droid-motox-leak-1.jpg?itok=XLkD3zF5

Nope. Those are terrible. M is still there where the FPS should be; speaker is where the nothing should be; FPS is where the speaker should be and why the heck does the camera have a flat tire? Who's smoking all this crack at Lenovo?

The more I think about this, the more I have to agree this is not looking good. Rumors are pointing to an all-metal phone, which sounds like they're abandoning the cool color and material options that have been available since the beginning of the Moto renaissance. Also assures no wireless charging. The fat bottom bezel makes me sad (especially looking at the lovely thin bezels on my Moto X 2014). That back camera... thing, and the weird speaker/contact pins...

Ugh. Just ugh. I'll reserve final opinion for the actual reveal, but I'm not optimistic. If this is really it, please Google make the next Nexus something wonderful.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Eh, they're out in this market. It'll take years to recover from tanking the little OEM people loved as the underdog. If it's possible at all. And if they're even interested in recovering. I don't think Lenovo cares - they just wanted the market inroad and the name. Zero interest in preserving their values, philosophy or reputation. They tanked the software update legacy and device design, there's probably nothing about this device that does things smarter as with prior generations. Meaning the value proposition is out other than a "roughly the same for lower cost" argument, which is a far cry from, "one of the best, yet cheaper". Cheaper alone isn't a good argument for anything if quality is absent. Luckily they've still got that whole rest of the world market where they're big, because that world is full of people that never used the Moto X line.

happasaiyan

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
The more I think about this, the more I have to agree this is not looking good. Rumors are pointing to an all-metal phone, which sounds like they're abandoning the cool color and material options that have been available since the beginning of the Moto renaissance.
Quite the contrary on this point. The custom backs can be easily swapped now.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Swappable backs is welcome news. Still reserving judgment, but I'm a little more hopeful now.

Edit: Hrmm. Read the article linked above. A 5.5" quad HD display with only a 2600 mAh battery? :eek:

I know one of the so-called "amps" (back plates) is supposedly a battery pack, but man. That battery size is worrisome. Also, 5.5" screen with the bezels pictured plants this thing firmly in phablet category in my mind. Sigh.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

The spec sheet sounds fine, though battery on the Vector Thin may be an issue. I like the return to AOMLED.

Sleek and powerful
Both models feature 5.5-inch AMOLED displays, but otherwise, their spec sheets read completely differently, according to the person who shared the details. Vector Thin is the decidedly higher-end handset, with a Quad HD resolution to Vertex’s Full HD display, and a slightly lower-clocked version of Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 820 system-on-chip (2.0GHz quad core) to its sibling’s Snapdragon 625 (an octa core chip reportedly clocked at 2.4GHz instead of the stock 2.0GHz).

Vector Thin will ship with 32GB of storage capacity in conjunction with either 3GB or 4GB of RAM, while Vertex will allegedly come in either 16GB storage / 2GB RAM or 32GB storage / 3GB RAM configurations. Camera configurations are also said to differ. Vertex purportedly sports a 16-megapixel sensor with both laser-assisted and phase detection autofocus technologies, while Vector’s 13-megapixel sensor has only the laser AF, but with optical image stabilization thrown in too.

Externally, the only major difference, as its name suggests, is Vector Thin’s incredibly svelte profile: at 5.2 millimeters thick, it’s even slimmer than Vertex’s already respectable thickness of about 7mm. As you might suspect, Vector’s thinness comes at the price of reduced battery capacity: It contains just a 2600mAh cell, compared to the 3500mAh pack in the less-pixel-dense Vertex.

Vertex (Moto X Play successor?):
  • 5.5" Full HD AMOLED
  • Snapdragon 625
  • 16GB/2GB RAM or 32GB/3GB RAM
  • 16MP camera with laser-assisted and phase detection autofocus
  • 3500 mAh battery

Vector Thin (Moto X Style successor?):
  • 5.5" Quad HD AMOLED
  • Snapdragon 820
  • 32GB/3GB RAM or 32GB/4GB RAM
  • 13MP camera with laser autofocus and optical image stabilization
  • 2600 mAh battery

Maybe the 16MP camera for the Vertex is the same as the LG G5's main camera. The 13 MP in the Vector Thin sounds like the same Sony sensor used in the Nexus 6P and HTC 10.

Modular done right
The bigger story here starts with those 16 holes seen on the back of the white Vertex, above. While they’ve been written off in some coverage as speaker ports, they are actually connection pins that allow modular backplates to be snapped onto either handset.

Motorola has at least six modules, called “Amps,” planned for launch, including a simple colored backplate that ships free with both handsets. The more interesting ones will be, of course, sold separately, both from Moto as well as third-party manufacturers. The first-party modules available at launch allegedly include stereo speakers; a battery pack; a camera grip with flash and optical zoom; a pico projector; and a rugged cover with wide angle lens attachment.

It should now be clear that the phones’ protruding camera lens will actually sit flush when there are Amps attached. They’re connected magnetically in a manner that was said to make for a tight, secure connection while also allowing for easy removal.

This modular system, and the one introduced by LG with the LG G5, are undoubtedly similar and will prompt comparisons in the press. And despite being first to market, LG is very likely going to come out on the losing end of these evaluations. Focusing so tightly on offering a removable battery seems to have hamstrung the Korean manufacturer into a form factor not nearly as well-suited for the task as Motorola’s.

While pricing and release details aren’t yet known for the Moto X pair (nor their likely doppelgängers on Verizon, the Droid Turbo 3 and Droid Maxx 3), the date on the renders, August 24, may prove significant. [Update: Droid-Life is reporting that these will launch on June 9th at Lenovo Tech World.]

Looks like Moto is going the LG route with Friends being "Amps". The six mentioned need to be available from day 1.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
At 2600mAh for the QHD, one of the backs better be a battery pack :)

Rumor has it that there at least six and when an "Amp" is attached, the camera module sits flush.

Motorola has at least six modules, called “Amps,” planned for launch, including a simple colored backplate that ships free with both handsets. The more interesting ones will be, of course, sold separately, both from Moto as well as third-party manufacturers. The first-party modules available at launch allegedly include stereo speakers; a battery pack; a camera grip with flash and optical zoom; a pico projector; and a rugged cover with wide angle lens attachment.

• New color
  • Stereo Speakers
  • Battery Pack
  • Camera Grip with Flash and Optical Zoom???
  • Pico Projector
  • Rugged Cover with Wide Angle Lens Attachment

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I would put this as a 9.5/10 credibility. A lot of what is mentioned is what I have seen and heard.

Vertex, Moto X Play successor? Will be the DROID MAXX 3 on Verizon?

Vector Thin, Moto X Style successor? Will it be the DROID TURBO 3 for Verizon or is there a third variant that's more of a direct successor to the Moto X Force?

And will Vector Thin be available for use on Verizon like the Moto X Pure Edition is?

happasaiyan

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Vertex, Moto X Play successor? Will be the DROID MAXX 3 on Verizon?

Vector Thin, Moto X Style successor? Will it be the DROID TURBO 3 for Verizon or is there a third variant that's more of a direct successor to the Moto X Force?

And will Vector Thin be available for use on Verizon like the Moto X Pure Edition is?

I never hear what the names are going to be, so I don't know. Also, I've only seen the thin version. I honestly don't know how they stuffed a 2600mAh battery in there. Ironically enough, when I first saw one with the screen on, I got excited and thought it was AMOLED, but I was told LCD. I was almost certain it was AMOLED, so maybe he didn't know. I heard about 5/6 of the modules. Never heard of the projector one. That will be interesting to see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech