Moto X 2016

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
It actually looks very sleek and the camera dont have a flat tire its the flash.

The backs of the device is a backplate you can exchange. Its going modular and will have dual speaker mod
There's a mod that will move the fps to the back and the bottom speaker to the front?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The mods dont excuse the poorer design. The much improved camera, DAC and speakers, etc should be included on the flagship by default. The ability to spend more money and attach stuff to the phone only highlights its weaknesses rather than compensating for them. I made the same argument with the G5 and it's more true on this because the G4 didn't lose anything to modules, whereas moto has lost almost everything.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't like the whole mods trend. How about just making a phone that does everything pretty well without an add-on?

This is exactly what the problem is. If you want to include a feature via module that does something that a phone otherwise is incapable of doing - ok, let's think that through. If you're just adding audio and camera features - or worse, battery - then all of that should have been INSIDE the device from the factory. A 2mm thicker phone with the best battery, camera and audio is WAY better than a thinner phone that either lacks those features or wants you to buy those features separately. And anything that REMOVES a front facing speaker should have made them stop and do a page one rewrite. The deep trend of sacrifices that Moto did this year is just flat out disgusting to me. And you can read my posts from years back, I've been one of their biggest advocates since the Moto X 2013. But we're done, because Lenovo has successfully destroyed them.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
From the X 2015 to the X 2016 or Z or whatever it is, we're losing a front facing speaker, a clean front design and the sheer volume of R&D and resources that went into creating the modules means two things: Those modules compensate for obvious weaknesses in the device when it's on its own and all of that R&D represents an opportunity cost - because it wasn't spent on making the phone better out of the box.

That money and time and those materials could have been spent on not sabotaging Moto's reputation as a fast update leader - it could have been spent on better customer service for the folks that got burned on the 2015 X - it could have been spent on just having a better camera, audio experience and battery life out of the box - or it could have been spent on making a new feature that no one else has (software or hardware) that changes how we use our phones. Moto did that once. And it was awesome. What they're doing now is just shameful and weak. Going from the little giant that Moto was poised to be into this - wrecked shambles of a once great design - it's just pitiful and though this doesn't make sense - it definitely feels like Lenovo betrayed Moto's name, reputation and their customers.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I've been one of their biggest advocates since the Moto X 2013
I am still of the opinion that the '13 X is still one of the phones by which all others should be judged. The screen to body ratio was nice. It was a phone that could be held in one hand easily while being able to easily reach most of the screen. It was this form factor that I really liked. The software optimization made the phone more than the sum of it's parts.

Sadly, Lenovo has destroyed the Moto brand.

streetkilln

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
From the X 2015 to the X 2016 or Z or whatever it is, we're losing a front facing speaker, a clean front design and the sheer volume of R&D and resources that went into creating the modules means two things: Those modules compensate for obvious weaknesses in the device when it's on its own and all of that R&D represents an opportunity cost - because it wasn't spent on making the phone better out of the box.

That money and time and those materials could have been spent on not sabotaging Moto's reputation as a fast update leader - it could have been spent on better customer service for the folks that got burned on the 2015 X - it could have been spent on just having a better camera, audio experience and battery life out of the box - or it could have been spent on making a new feature that no one else has (software or hardware) that changes how we use our phones. Moto did that once. And it was awesome. What they're doing now is just shameful and weak. Going from the little giant that Moto was poised to be into this - wrecked shambles of a once great design - it's just pitiful and though this doesn't make sense - it definitely feels like Lenovo betrayed Moto's name, reputation and their customers.
This whole mods thing is a trend, but they are using it as cash grab too they figure hey we can give them more for more money, it's annoying, I like my moto x style but it's been recently over heating and having battery issues. Of course right around the time the new moto comes out figures.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
This whole mods thing is a trend, but they are using it as cash grab too they figure hey we can give them more for more money, it's annoying, I like my moto x style but it's been recently over heating and having battery issues. Of course right around the time the new moto comes out figures.
There's yet to be one where it adds something new.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Serious question: does anyone here like what Moto is doing, or appears to be doing, with the new Moto X/Z/whatever? No judgment from me if you do, I'm just curious. I'm seeing a lot of disappointment from some of Moto's most ardent fans on AC in regard to the leaks of the next Moto, but little enthusiasm. If we don't like it, that doesn't seem to bode well for the success of the phone.

But who knows. Maybe they'll pull it off, and enough people will love it. I don't think I'll be in that camp, though. I have to agree with others that Lenovo seems to have delivered a telling blow to the Motorola we loved.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Serious question: does anyone here like what Moto is doing, or appears to be doing, with the new Moto X/Z/whatever? No judgment from me if you do, I'm just curious. I'm seeing a lot of disappointment from some of Moto's most ardent fans on AC in regard to the leaks of the next Moto, but little enthusiasm. If we don't like it, that doesn't seem to bode well for the success of the phone.

But who knows. Maybe they'll pull it off, and enough people will love it. I don't think I'll be in that camp, though. I have to agree with others that Lenovo seems to have delivered a telling blow to the Motorola we loved.

I don't think they're going to put out a bad phone. They're just not going to put out anything resembling a great Moto phone. So that's definitely not enthusiasm, but my frustration is lamenting the loss of something I was really enjoying - not saying Lenovo can't put out a good product that many people will buy and be totally happy with.

streetkilln

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I think they should of sticked with there ways a stylish simple clean phone with just the right features.

The leak images of the phone dont look bad its nice but ita also degrading with these mods.

slides

Jan 8, 2016
Visit site
Sooo, I just don't get modules.

If I were to get this phone (based on rumor), with a QHD screen and 2600 mAh, I would buy the battery pack (which may only be black?) and have to keep it on my phone all the time. So instead of paying x for a phone, I am now paying x + h for what I would consider my base phone (assuming the 'designer' mod doesn't include a battery)

As a guy, I would never carry any other mod with me, with exception on vacation or something (would those mods provide me benefit on vacation? I already have a nice digital camera for that purpose)

If you use a case (which i typically don't), how 'hot swappable' do those mods become?

If again, with a 2600 mAh battery, if the other mods don't include their own battery, how long can you use a projector (and why?), how long can you power 'high end' speakers?

And my biggest question is, if I buy a new phone next year or two years from now, did I just waste money on mods that will need to buy again for a slightly different phone size?

That is ignoring the lack of timely updates (or any updates) and warranty/repair issues, this phone really doesn't interest me at this point, may buy my first non moto phone in 4 or 5 generations

Last edited:

streetkilln

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Sooo, I just don't get modules.

If I were to get this phone (based on rumor), with a QHD screen and 2600 mAh, I would by the battery pack (which may only be black?) and have to keep it on my phone all the time. So instead of paying x for a phone, I am now paying x + h for what I would consider my base phone (assuming the 'designer' mod doesn't include a battery)

As a guy, I would never carry any other mod with me, with exception on vacation or something (would those mods provide me benefit on vacation? I already have a nice digital camera for that purpose)

If you use a case (which i typically don't), how 'hot swappable' do those mods become?

If again, with a 2600 mAh battery, if the other mods don't include their own battery, how long can you use a projector (and why?), how long can you power 'high end' speakers?

And my biggest question is, if I buy a new phone next year or two years from now, did I just waste money on mods that will need to buy again for a slightly different phone size?

That is ignoring the lack of timely updates (or any updates) and warranty/repair issues, this phone really doesn't interest me at this point, may buy my first non moto phone in 4 or 5 generations
I guess if you carry the standard phone without mods attached and carry a dam battery pack mod for backup (like who the hell is gonna do that i dont carry a purse around) itll be fine then if u can carry these mods.. but when people buy a phone they arnt carrying extra stuff for it..

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Talking in general about the G5 and now the rumored Moto...I just don't get Modules. It's now getting to the point where, like a few others have said in this thread already, to get the experience that one should have out of the box (or near to that point), you now need to get extra modules and carry them around? In what, a camera bag? Isn't the point of a smartphone camera to be good enough to take pictures on the fly? I understand people who take cameras on vacation, and that's fine....for the most part a dedicated digital camera is better at taking photos than a smartphone. But this? Really?

I would rather have a phone that is thicker by a few more millimeters to get a good camera, speakers and a respectable battery.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Some things I can understand. Some I cannot. A fingerprint sensor, yes. It's placement, no. The modules, no. In 2013/2014 Moto was at a point where they were making noise in the industry. You can kinda tell as the form factor was mimicked by other OEMs. Now.....I almost think they are like a dog that has a short attention span, and chases squirrels the moment it sees them. They went on the module thing before it's really been established as something that should be followed.

Maybe Lenovo has no idea what they are doing. To me, it's almost like they got dropped blindfolded in the middle of a forest, with no compass, and they have zero survival capabilities.

As for my opinion of Moto products: I have said it before in another thread (can't remember where), that Moto is now a brand that I no longer suggest. If updates are now in question, customer service is generally agreed to be abysmal, and there is no clear direction to where they are taking the brand, those are the reasons I cannot in good conscience suggest them. Even taking into consideration of HTC's questionable charging issues, I am still more comfortable suggesting the HTC 10 over anything Moto is going to present to the world.

Again, Moto.....I hope you are reading this.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
At what price point would everyone be ok with the Mod idea? What if the base phone is $300 and the mods are $100/ea? So, theoretically, the base experience is good across the board (great/good display, good camera, good audio), but nothing is GREAT, but also isn't terrible. (One exception being the display, which HAS to be great since you can't mod that to be better). But if you want great audio, you buy that mod. If you want great camera, you buy that mod.

So for $400 you could have a phone that is good across the board but has fantastic audio, or camera, or whatever.

Only problem I see with that plan is if you want more than one mod, in which case I guess the answer would be "get a different phone" since at that point you'd be approaching the price of competing devices that already have "GREAT" in those categories.

Disclaimer: When I say "audio" I mean headset audio since phone speakers will never be "GREAT"

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
At what price point would everyone be ok with the Mod idea? What if the base phone is $300 and the mods are $100/ea? So, theoretically, the base experience is good across the board (great/good display, good camera, good audio), but nothing is GREAT, but also isn't terrible. (One exception being the display, which HAS to be great since you can't mod that to be better). But if you want great audio, you buy that mod. If you want great camera, you buy that mod.

So for $400 you could have a phone that is good across the board but has fantastic audio, or camera, or whatever.

Only problem I see with that plan is if you want more than one mod, in which case I guess the answer would be "get a different phone" since at that point you'd be approaching the price of competing devices that already have "GREAT" in those categories.

Disclaimer: When I say "audio" I mean headset audio since phone speakers will never be "GREAT"

That example would be acceptable, in my opinion. However.....I don't think the base price of the phone will be $300...more like $500.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

That could take some of the sting out, sure, but you're still faced with a phone that needs to be serviceable without mods (because most people won't bother). If it's only great with an add-on, that's a strike against it. Your typical carrier store rep will steer people toward the "simple" all-in-one phone rather than try to explain mods. Also, unless Moto makes these mods compatible with future phones (meaning the 2017 Moto XYZ would need to be the same size and shape), they'll be dead weight once you upgrade.

I get the appeal of customization, sure. One phone doesn't fit all, and mods are one approach to fixing that. I just don't feel they're a useful approach, unless the mods are crazy cheap and in the impulse buy category when you're buying the phone. Maybe the battery pack mod will be cheap; it's just a battery, after all. But in that case, why not make the phone slightly thicker and integrate it in the first place, as many others have already said?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
That example would be acceptable, in my opinion. However.....I don't think the base price of the phone will be $300...more like $500.

Of course. My example was a "best case".

That could take some of the sting out, sure, but you're still faced with a phone that needs to be serviceable without mods (because most people won't bother). If it's only great with an add-on, that's a strike against it. Your typical carrier store rep will steer people toward the "simple" all-in-one phone rather than try to explain mods. Also, unless Moto makes these mods compatible with future phones (meaning the 2017 Moto XYZ would need to be the same size and shape), they'll be dead weight once you upgrade.

I get the appeal of customization, sure. One phone doesn't fit all, and mods are one approach to fixing that. I just don't feel they're a useful approach, unless the mods are crazy cheap and in the impulse buy category when you're buying the phone. Maybe the battery pack mod will be cheap; it's just a battery, after all. But in that case, why not make the phone slightly thicker and integrate it in the first place, as many others have already said?

Moto has already shown that they aren't going to really sell through the carriers, with the exception of Droid on VZW.

It's also already been shown by quite a few manufacturers that a $300 phone can be good in all areas.

"Why not make the phone slightly thicker and integrate it in the first place?"

Price. Having a cheap base price means more people will buy/consider the phone, and those that want better audio or whatever can pay for the mod to get it. I KNOW there is a market for it, I just don't know how big that market is. The G5 was struck from my list of potential devices when the B&O module didn't come to the US (this was before we knew how bad the display was).

Personally, that model might not be for me, since my requirements are a top of the line camera, accurate display, and great battery life. So being only "good" in one of those areas means I probably wouldn't get the device, but I can definitely see it being "a thing" for a manufacturer to want to do.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital