Moto X 2016

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
It sort of makes sense though if they want/need carrier help pushing the modules. :(

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

And who knows what kind of financial agreements there could be vs going rogue.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
A requirement for my next phone will be unlocked, carrier-free that can work on Verizon. Let's see if I'll have to compromise on that.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Motorola did a lot of things right last year according to us phone nerds but it didn't translate financially. So they're going back the other way apparently. Oh well.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Motorola did a lot of things right last year according to us phone nerds but it didn't translate financially. So they're going back the other way apparently. Oh well.

I understand their motive. With zero tech knowledge two people in my family walked out of verizon stores with a turbo 2 and maxx 2. But too bad for us :(

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
If being unlocked and carrier freedom and quick updates are important, it's Nexus or nothing. But honestly other than security updates that should be required to be timely, I'm not going to root, I'm likely not going to switch from Verizon (but I love knowing I could easily), and honestly new versions of Android are nice but often under deliver.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
If being unlocked and carrier freedom and quick updates are important, it's Nexus or nothing. But honestly other than security updates that should be required to be timely, I'm not going to root, I'm likely not going to switch from Verizon (but I love knowing I could easily), and honestly new versions of Android are nice but often under deliver.

I understand that quick updates are no longer part of the strategy for Lenovo. But I still want a version that's free from carrier bloat.

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
But couldn't they still primarily sell (locked) through the carriers and offer unlocked versions at full price through the internet?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
But couldn't they still primarily sell (locked) through the carriers and offer unlocked versions at full price through the internet?

They could but carriers could ask them not to.

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
They could but carriers could ask them not to.

Makes sense. But even if it's available unlocked, it probably wouldn't be a fair deal. I remember Samsung, HTC, and others selling unlocked phones, and the prices were always astronomical. The only times there were good deals on unlocked phones was when the primary outlet was on-line sales. I understand this is probably best for Lenovo as there will be more of a market from B&M carriers. Plus they will not have to be responsible for retail sales, which always involves substantial overheads. Guess it's back to Nexus for me.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
On the US Motorola site the phone is referred to at the "Moto Z Droid Edition" and "Moto Z Droid Force". Verizon exclusives?