Motorola is preparing 2 Moto X flagships with a modular backplate design | VentureBeat | Mobile | by Evan Blass

Rumored:
    • Colored Backplate
    • Stereo Speakers
    • Battery Pack
    • Camera Grip with Flash and Optical Zoom
    • Pico Projector
    • Rugged Cover with Wide Angle Lens Attachment

Modular done right
    The bigger story here starts with those 16 holes seen on the back of the white Vertex, above. While they’ve been written off in some coverage as speaker ports, they are actually connection pins that allow modular backplates to be snapped onto either handset.

Motorola has at least six modules, called “Amps,” planned for launch, including a simple colored backplate that ships free with both handsets. The more interesting ones will be, of course, sold separately, both from Moto as well as third-party manufacturers. The first-party modules available at launch allegedly include stereo speakers; a battery pack; a camera grip with flash and optical zoom; a pico projector; and a rugged cover with wide angle lens attachment.

It should now be clear that the phones’ protruding camera lens will actually sit flush when there are Amps attached. They’re connected magnetically in a manner that was said to make for a tight, secure connection while also allowing for easy removal.

This modular system, and the one introduced by LG with the LG G5, are undoubtedly similar and will prompt comparisons in the press. And despite being first to market, LG is very likely going to come out on the losing end of these evaluations. Focusing so tightly on offering a removable battery seems to have hamstrung the Korean manufacturer into a form factor not nearly as well-suited for the task as Motorola’s.
    05-09-2016 02:01 PM
    It'll be interesting to see how Motos modular design solution compares to LGs.
    05-09-2016 02:16 PM
    I think an add on as in no removable parts but an easy connection to the bottom through the USB port would probably be best.
    05-11-2016 08:58 AM
    The stereo speakers one actually makes me sad. That means that it won't have them without it, and even then they will probably be backfiring. And, if the rumors of the tiny battery are true, then it won't be possible to have the extended battery and the speakers at the same time. This alone, if true, has killed this phone for me. :/
    05-18-2016 04:53 PM
    I think Moto is looking for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Most people keep their phones only 2 years at most. I'd rather buy accessories that are functional for multiple devices, not accessories that are useless when I get rid of a phone.
    Citizen Coyote likes this.
    05-18-2016 05:02 PM
    I think Moto is looking for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Most people keep their phones only 2 years at most. I'd rather buy accessories that are functional for multiple devices, not accessories that are useless when I get rid of a phone.
    I learned this lesson with another Motorola phone, the Photon 4G. Great phone, nifty accessories (especially the car mount) that sadly only fit that model. When I kicked Sprint to the curb and moved to the Nexus 4, all those accessories quickly became dead weight. Now I make sure anything I buy for a phone can (likely) be used down the road with its replacement.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-24-2016 03:21 PM
    I learned this lesson with another Motorola phone, the Photon 4G. Great phone, nifty accessories (especially the car mount) that sadly only fit that model. When I kicked Sprint to the curb and moved to the Nexus 4, all those accessories quickly became dead weight. Now I make sure anything I buy for a phone can (likely) be used down the road with its replacement.
    I did that with the DROID and DROID BIONIC.
    05-25-2016 04:00 PM
    https://plus.google.com/+hellomotoHK/posts/jZvGMYFebJu

• Pro camera Mod
    • Adventure Mod
    • Theater Mod
    • Stereo Mod
    • Power Mod
    • Style Mod
    • Pro camera Mod = Camera Grip with Flash and Optical Zoom
    • Adventure Mod = Rugged Cover with Wide Angle Lens Attachment
    • Theater Mod = Pico Projector
    • Stereo Mod = Stereo Speakers
    • Power Mod = Battery Pack
    • Style Mod = Colored Backplate
    05-25-2016 04:02 PM
    http://www.androidcentral.com/latest...-may-be-coming

https://www.twitter.com/evleaks/stat...49998604378112

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition
    05-25-2016 10:00 PM
    Latest 2016 Moto X leak suggests exciting swappable back modules may be coming | Android Central

https://www.twitter.com/evleaks/stat...49998604378112

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition
    Those look hideous.
    Citizen Coyote likes this.
    05-25-2016 10:07 PM
    Yep, this is how they (roughly) look. Projector, speakers (JBL I think), and camera.
    Ry and Citizen Coyote like this.
    05-26-2016 08:20 AM
    Yep, this is how they (roughly) look. Projector, speakers (JBL I think), and camera.
    https://twitter.com/evleaks/status/735862741127155713

By the way, these are (from L to R) the projector, JBL speakers, and Hasselblad camera.
    happasaiyan likes this.
    05-26-2016 04:28 PM
    Will there be a battery module?
    05-26-2016 10:35 PM
    Will there be a battery module?
    Yes
    05-27-2016 07:37 AM
    Those look hideous.
    My exact thought, too. Technically my second thought, since my first was "oh my god." It's probably too much to hope that these will come in different colors a la Moto Maker, but even if they do they still look dated.

2011 called, it wants its design aesthetics back.
    sharkita and Laura Knotek like this.
    05-27-2016 10:56 AM
    Rumor has it that the "base" rear camera is a 16MP shooter. If it's the same as on the Moto G Plus, camera quality will be fine.

But if you want to step up....

MotoMod hinted to give 10X optical zoom to Moto Z | Pocketnow

So, what Lenovo may be getting at here is that a 10x optical zoom lens MotoMod for the Moto Z will debut.
    06-08-2016 01:11 PM
    Anyone know how much juice the battery module will add?
    06-08-2016 08:43 PM