http://www.androidcentral.com/moto-x...to-z-line-year

https://twitter.com/evleaks/status/732603047868698624

Goodbye, Moto X; Hello, Moto Z | VentureBeat | Mobile | by Evan Blass

As VentureBeat reported last week, Motorola has at least two flagship phones in the works once again this year, including a pair of 5.5-inchers codenamed Vertex and Vector Thin. And in an attempt to bridge old and new, these two devices will marry the new brand name with last year’s Moto X model names. The result? Vector Thin, the more premium handset, will be known as the Moto Z Style, while Vertex will apparently be dubbed Moto Z Play.

Plus, in a move designed to implement even further branding consistency, Verizon Wireless’s Droid versions of these phones are also receiving a nomenclature tweak. Gone are the Droid Turbos and Droid Maxxs of years past, to be replaced by “Droid Edition” riffs on the global brandings; think: Moto Z Play Droid Edition.
    Vector Thin = Moto Z Style
    Vertex = Moto Z Play
    05-17-2016 11:26 AM
    Nice one!
    05-17-2016 11:36 AM
    So now they're copying Sony with their naming conventions.
    05-17-2016 01:13 PM
    So now they're copying Sony with their naming conventions.
    If the trend continues they'll soon be giving USA the middle finger.
    05-17-2016 02:06 PM
    If the trend continues they'll soon be giving USA the middle finger.
    They're adding support for all four major US carriers (yes, CDMA support for Verizon) on the Moto G like they did with the Moto X Pure Edition. And they're still making DROIDs for Verizon.
    Clocks and Laura Knotek like this.
    05-17-2016 02:13 PM
    This one has a big set of problems.
    1. both 5.5"? With two Moto G's that are 5.5"? That's four phones with various features that are all the same size.
    2. these look better than the G's, but still are a massive departure from what we're used to. They definitely have a moto flavor to them, so going to leave it alone.
    3. modules. this gets the same response as the G5 on this feature. Put the awesometastic features in the phone to begin with and don't try to sell addons. Make it have a great camera out of the box, without addons required. Make it have a huge battery out of the box, no addons. Make it have fantastic sound out of the box, no addons. These are, at this point, basic expectations for flagship phones and should be included as a given. Stop trying to sell things that are basic feature-set. If you have some addons that add functionality that is new to smartphones, ok let's talk about that. But don't try to sell me things that should have been included in the phone, without adding too much size, weight, etc - because that's your job as a flagship level player.
    05-17-2016 05:53 PM
    No way Verizon lets them get away with that. Ever. They'll want their exclusivity on anything named DROID.

Posted via the Android Central App
    05-20-2016 09:36 PM
    No way Verizon lets them get away with that. Ever. They'll want their exclusivity on anything named DROID.

Verizon will still have exclusivity for the "Droid" name. That's why Moto has always used different names for its other devices.
    05-20-2016 10:12 PM

DROID Edition?

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition
    05-20-2016 11:38 PM
    Historically, the DROID label hasn't just been an exclusive name. It's literally a device that can't be had on any other US carrier, in any form. Even unlocked overseas variants that carried different names never had the proper bands to work here. That's the level of exclusivity Verizon has had, and will want continued.

05-21-2016 05:55 PM
    Does the Droid series still sell well?
    05-21-2016 07:03 PM
    Moto, Y?

I feel like some of these changes are simply for the sake of change, a means of differentiating the "old" Moto from the new Lenovo-owned Moto. I know phones change branding, but this just makes me kind of sad. As does this new infatuation with a 5.5" one-size-fits-all-phones screen size.
    sharkita and Laura Knotek like this.
    05-23-2016 12:56 PM
    Moto, Y?

I feel like some of these changes are simply for the sake of change, a means of differentiating the "old" Moto from the new Lenovo-owned Moto. I know phones change branding, but this just makes me kind of sad. As does this new infatuation with a 5.5" one-size-fits-all-phones screen size.
    It makes me kind of sad too, but I'm really not surprised. My plan is to hang onto my Pure Edition for the time being and when it's time to replace it see what Nexus has to offer. I just can't get excited about the Moto Z and I'm a longtime Motorola fan.

05-23-2016 09:00 PM
    It makes me kind of sad too, but I'm really not surprised. My plan is to hang onto my Pure Edition for the time being and when it's time to replace it see what Nexus has to offer. I just can't get excited about the Moto Z and I'm a longtime Motorola fan.

Those are my plans as well.
    VAYinzer likes this.
    05-23-2016 09:34 PM
    Moto Z trademark application spotted at the USPTO | Pocketnow

It seems that we can very nearly confirm Evan Blass’s reporting on Motorola using the “Moto Z” brand in some way. The company has a trademark application filed at the US Patent and Trademark for the term dated May 17.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-24-2016 12:43 AM
    June 9 san Francisco! It had the Razer series slim, that's the information I got so far.

Attached Thumbnails Goodbye Moto X, Hello Moto Z (via @evleaks)-44731.jpg  
    05-25-2016 08:26 PM

So the next moto x aka moto z has been leaked with specs and pictures,
    Also looks like there will be "mods" attachments for the device kinda like what lg has. what do you think about the device atm.

Specs and such:

New Moto Z Play, Moto Z Style UK release date, price, feature, spec rumours - New Product - PC Advisor

Mods attachments:

Leaked images show Lenovo’s upcoming MotoMods for the Moto Z [Update] | 9to5Google
    05-26-2016 04:52 PM
    I don't think I would be able to afford these devices once they reach our country, haha
    05-27-2016 04:02 AM
    Still terrible. So sad, I was loving Moto for years and now they're one more in a line of design garbage after being a leader on that front.
    05-27-2016 05:05 PM
    Man those look so awful!
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-31-2016 06:14 PM
    https://plus.google.com/+hellomotoHK/posts/18YN6LaBV5M

Moto 2016
    - Moto Z, aka DROID Turbo 3
    - Moto X Style 2
    - Moto X Play 2, aka DROID Maxx 3
    06-02-2016 01:38 PM