10-05-2016 04:01 PM
486 ... 1112131415 ...
tools
    Small battery at that screen size, lack of audio jack 3.5, horrible front design: that front bottom bezel design is terrible...nope I won't get it. For now I'll stay on my Nexus 5X for a while, at least until I have enough cash for a HTC10. I would have gone with the 6P but it does not have anything that big to justify it's price.
    Doesn't the HTC 10 make the exact same mistakes on the front bottom bezel? It does make up for it with a larger battery and a much better audio experience. If your wait ends up being a couple months you might be interested in the new HTC Nexus devices that are rumored.
    06-16-2016 10:45 AM
    Moderator note:

On topic, productive, respectful and awesome discussion = good.
    Insulting people, trolling, life failing and unproductive discussion = not good.

Don't be not good.
    06-16-2016 12:21 PM
    My son is due for a new phone and this looks as promising as anything out there now. He currently has the second gen moto x on Verizon and likes all the add on features of this phone. He really liked the Galaxy S7 but with all the bloatware/skins Samsung puts on their phones it is a real turn off. I will say Sammy has the best cameras on any phone out there now and always. I also hate all the plastic on Samsung phones. Anyway, back to the Moto Z, the specs look top notch and it is a nice size between the massive phablet phones and general smart phones out there today. My son loves to watch Youtube and other videos on his phone so this should be a nice size for that. The ability to add extra storage and hot swap batteries is also really nice.
    06-16-2016 04:04 PM
    The Moto Z, despite the criticisms on here is imo, better than any phone out there currently. Let's face it even $250 phones can pretty much do the same things an $800 phone can do these days (from performance to features), so if I wanted a phone for normal daily use I'd have gone for any decent offering out there. But if I'm to spend $800 and above, the phone had better be something that pushes its limits on what's possible, it had better be a phone that brings something unusual to the table than mere spec bumps.
    It had better bring something drastically different, something exciting to the game, afterall if I have $900 and above to spend, then it has to be different from the phone next door. Phones are ridiculously expensive for what they offer nowadays, gone are the days where there was a clear disparity between an $850 phone and a $300 one. So if my concern is just performance, then I should probably get the OP3/moto g4/nexus 5X and just call it a day then.

Now this is where the Moto Z comes in. Yeah, its not cheap when you factor in the price of the modules and all, but technology isn't cheap, neither is innovation. I'd rather buy a mysterious phone, a phone that kisses my imagination like the Z, than buy a flat out basic run of the mill top end smartphone like the htc 10/GS7 etc if you ask me (not the EDGE though).
    Granted this phone isn't for every body and if you don't like it, fine, but that doesn't take anything away from the Z. Yes, I know, There are few controversies like the removal of the headphone jack, the battery capacity and the release time frame, but something must always give in, usually, something always has to be sacrificed in other for something else to happen. The phone needed to be this thin for it to still look this good while using the Mods (I bet the Z will look better than the Z force when you use the Mods). The camera bump? I even find that interesting too. The headphone jack? Isn't that going to be the industry standard moving forward now? Moreso they're even reasonable enough to include and adapter in the box. The release date? Yeah that's probably the most stupid thing they could do (I wonder who came up with that idea). But then again, that doesn't still stop me from getting it when it comes out.

That being said, the phone as it is, is simply breathtaking to be honest, its probably the most innovative phone since the very first iphone and the most exciting phone since the galaxy s3. The phone as it is has top notch specs across the board, like 4G Ram, 5.5" QHD screen, SD 820, stock android ui, with the best feature set (like the best always on display on the market, the best voice assistant on the market, moto assist, one handed mode, smart screen mode, fm radio).

What's not to like? This is even before we start scratching the surface of the possibilities of what the Mods can do along with their crazy implementation.

The design is daring and fantastic as opposed to these tired/uninspiring/repititive designs we now see everywhere (htc 10, Op3, g5, s7, p9) the same reason I loved the 6p and the S7E too.
    Like I said, the phones with their modules might not be cheap, yes, but technology isn't cheap, and usually, innovation isn't cheap either. Phones like the OP3 might be cheap and have great specs across the board but this phone isn't targeting that audience tbh..
    Its easy to see why Mods are the future, but, I'd rather have prefared if it were adopted by the iphone or samsung first, as that way there'll be far wider adoptation as against when its being done by MOTO or LG.

*Take a bow* MOTO Z!!!!!!
    Aquila, Ry, matty032 and 1 others like this.
    06-16-2016 05:32 PM
    Glad you like it! Without taking mods into consideration, and while waiting for some more details from anandtech (which will probably raise the score), I've currently got it ranked 12th out of the top 15 devices. I'd honestly expect it to break into the top 10 along side the G5, etc. once it has full info. And adding mods into the equation, that'd definitely change things further - but right now the methodology doesn't have a way to account for things of that nature. Definitely a decent device and flagship class, just some strange decisions that move it out of the mainstream pack in a way that is apparently controversial.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-16-2016 06:06 PM
    Thanks assasindroid. I used to think you where one of those mindless haters on here (wouldn't mention names)when the phone was launched but as I followed your posts I began to understand you. From reading your posts, you acknowledge the potential/capacity of the phone but objectively admitted that it isn't for you, which is mature and okay.
    As for what you said, well, I don't really care about the overall score it might get, as I'm not really into that sort of thing. But, What I'm actually looking forward to is the overall adventure/experience I'll be getting from going into unknown territory with the Z. For a long time in the phone industry now, I'm really excited again.
    You know the industry has really gotten stale when you hear people battling over the things like shape, size and location of an otherwise perfectly working fingerprint scanner. lol

Honestly, I can't wait for those Hasselblad Mods as that'll just be the iceing on the cake for me. Btw, does anyone have an idea when they'll be releasing the Hasselblad camera Mod? also, I'm afraid not to get my hopes up for the onecompute Mod, as it seems to be finished and ready for prime time. However, if they indeed, release those 2 Mods. . . .then that'll be completely jaw dropping to be honest..

Anyway, Like they say, what's great is actually worth waiting for. Still on my nexus 5 though.
    06-16-2016 06:39 PM
    I haven't heard of a release date yet - and I think that's probably the most interesting mod that I have heard of.
    06-16-2016 06:44 PM
    No thanks. I just got myself a Moto X Pure edition, plus the free Moto 360 Sport
    06-16-2016 06:47 PM
    With the recent sales I almost got another MXPE too, but I made myself wait because I'm still planning to get a Moto Z or Z Force Droid to try to ... feel it, rather than critique it from pictures and articles. There's definitely more to this device than the spec sheet.
    06-16-2016 06:50 PM
    Thanks assasindroid. I used to think you where one of those mindless haters on here when the phone was launched but as I followed your posts I began to understand you. From reading your posts, you acknowledge the potential/capacity of the phone but objectively admitted that it isn't for you, which is mature and okay.
    As for what you said, well, I don't really care about the overall score it might get, as I'm not really into that sort of thing. But, What I'm actually looking forward to is the overall adventure/experience I'll be getting from going into unknown territory with the Z. For a long time in the phone industry now, I'm really excited again.
    You know the industry has really gotten stale when you hear people battling over the things like shape, size and location of an otherwise perfectly working fingerprint scanner. lol

Honestly, I can't wait for those Hasselblad Mods as that'll just be the iceing on the cake for me. Btw, does anyone have an idea when they'll be releasing the Hasselblad camera Mod? also, I'm afraid not to get my hopes up for the onecompute Mod, as it seems to be finished and ready for prime time. However, if they indeed, release those 2 Mods. . . .then that'll be completely jaw dropping to be honest..

Anyway, like they say, what's great is actually worth waiting for. Still on my nexus 5 though.
    They haven't even announced that Hasselblad mod. I doubt it'll be ready for US launch and man that will probably be highest priced mod so far. I'm more interested in seeing if the 13MP and 21MP cameras will compete with the current crop of excellent smartphone cameras. Having Hasselblad as an option with the Z already having a competitive shooter will be icing on the cake.

That onecompute mod gives me Lapdock flashbacks from my DROID BIONIC. Moto should bring that back and it would be even better with the windowed features being shown off in the Android N previews.
    06-16-2016 06:50 PM
    If I had to guess I think the s7, htc10 and Note 7 cameras will be better, but that gap might be shrinking
    06-16-2016 09:22 PM
    I wouldn't even think about it. My S7 is just a better phone.
    06-16-2016 09:32 PM
    It's a better phone for you and perhaps most people. I don't care for Samsung and appreciate the value added features from Moto.
    Rocketsaucev2 likes this.
    06-16-2016 10:54 PM
    I think the Z Force is the most interesting phone that's going to be released this year. The regular Z is just too thin and lacking battery for me but the forever droid edition looks tempting. The possibility of the fantastic camera add-on and the one compute is to much to resist. I'm also very interested in the projector. Would make my work life much easier. I'll keep my S7 as my daily driver but this phone has me more intrigued every time I read about it. This is innovation. Not for everyone, but definitely pushing the envelope of what a phone can do.
    Anonne likes this.
    06-16-2016 11:11 PM
    I wouldn't even think about it. My S7 is just a better phone.
    For you. Not for me. I don't like skinned Android... sure, they say touchwiz is no longer as bad as it was, and sure it has improved, but it still is a laggy mess to me. My turbo 2's fluidity is far better than the S7's. And I dont like the prices Samsung charges for such a thing, the S7 is $700, and the S7 active is $800. Versus what, about $500 for the coming Moto Z? Plus the battery mod (the base Incipio, not the fancy ones) and I'm at what? $570? For a phone with top end specs, pretty much barebones Android, and what would be a 4,820 mAh battery + the mod? The Samsung is not worth it to me at that point. And I also want to talk about something else: construction. The S7 and the Moto Z are both metal and glass on both sides, and both have separate frames for the screen and other componentry. Given the Moto Z's thinness, it seems dainty. But given how it seems to be constructed, how past motos have been constructed, I think that it will be decently resilient to the bending that sir JerryRigEverything will subject it to. The one non metal unibody phone that snapped was the Xiaomi Mi 5, because it has one frame for all components, and the frame is made of a cheap aluminum alloy, as well as the fact that the back glass is snapped into the frame.
    06-17-2016 12:44 AM
    When do we get reviews of it? What is the real cost going to be for vzw customers? I'm very tempted, my 1st gen Moto X is on its last legs.
    06-17-2016 02:11 AM
    The S7/E is only better than the Moto Z in some certain things (battery, waterproof, camera) while the moto Z is better in some other things (price, speaker, build quality, software, features) but the potential of the Mods alone just takes the Z into a whole new stratosphere, a level all by itself to be honest.. I don't see any phone competing with that (even if they don't sell)

@veteater. Actually, the Moto Z is made of steel at the back and aluminium at the sides, giving out the effect of glass. Pretty impressive stuff there.
    As for me, I'd be going with the standard Moto Z. The Z and its thinness just looks downright premium (The All black one) even making the z force look at little dated when you put them side by side.

Now, for instance, If the Z costs $500, I'd easily get the black battery case ($80) taking the battery capacity to almost 5,000mah, then buy the speaker Mod (that also has 1,000 mah) ($79) and camera Mod for maybe $200 (which will also have its own in built battery) amounting to about $950 then after that, I could buy the projector and the onecompute Mod and what ever comes out down the line..

This will make me use the Z for 2+ years as nothing released next year will have any in-built component that'll be close to being as good as what the Mods will be able to offer. No phone speaker will be better than those JBL speakers, or in built cameras better than those Hasselblad ones, nor will they have projectors inside them nor will they have batteries capacities close to 5,000mah yet, (not to even talk about having all of them possible on just one device) and that's even before we start seeing all the other Mods that might be released down the line adding that the price of the modules will only become cheaper.

So, in the end, I'd rather buy a device to rule them all by spending $1,500 on the Z and modules for 2+ years, than buy a $800 phone this year and another $800 flagship phone next year that will still end up being another run of the mill basic flagship phone you see everywhere. Considering that no phone released in the near future will have the quality of those add on's natively, (except they all go modular).
    06-17-2016 06:59 AM
    Don't use double negatives: "Be good."

As for the main topic of this post., The Moto Z looks nice. If I didn't already have an S7E, I would seriously consider it.
    06-17-2016 10:34 AM
    So my big worry with these mods is how they will affect having a case on the device. I am extremely clumsy and will drop my phone at least once a day, so a great case is invaluable. With these back mods Moto is going to, I won't be able to use an Otterbox or even a $5 case if I want. They need to consider this as they design these phones. At least with the LG, the mod was on the bottom and so you could potentially design a case to work.
    06-17-2016 11:04 AM
    So my big worry with these mods is how they will affect having a case on the device. I am extremely clumsy and will drop my phone at least once a day, so a great case is invaluable. With these back mods Moto is going to, I won't be able to use an Otterbox or even a $5 case if I want. They need to consider this as they design these phones. At least with the LG, the mod was on the bottom and so you could potentially design a case to work.
    I have never used a phone without a case. But I feel like, for this reason, I will be forced to not have one. I'll probably grab the Verizon insurance for a little bit in case of any early disasters.
    06-17-2016 11:10 AM
    For that use case I'd strongly suggest the Z Force Droid Edition - that way at least you have some peace of mind with the screen.
    06-17-2016 12:21 PM
    For that use case I'd strongly suggest the Z Force Droid Edition - that way at least you have some peace of mind with the screen.
    I'd rather break it, pay the deductible and get a like-new phone than to have that plastic screen all scratched up with no way to fix it.
    06-17-2016 12:34 PM
    I'd rather break it, pay the deductible and get a like-new phone than to have that plastic screen all scratched up with no way to fix it.
    The "exterior protective lens" is user replaceable for $30.
    Moto Shattershield Replacement Lens - Droid Turbo 2 | Motorola

It can be done by the user, or you can send it in to Motorola.
    https://motorola-global-portal.custh...ct/a_id/108328
    Clocks likes this.
    06-17-2016 02:09 PM
    Having recently dealt with Motorola's horrible customer support, I doubt I'll ever buy anything from them again. Shame that everyone is outsourcing technical support to people with no tech experience what so ever.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-17-2016 02:26 PM
    Have had same exact experience. Worst I've ever dealt with, and they will lie to you at the drop of a hat.
    06-17-2016 07:04 PM
486 ... 1112131415 ...