10-05-2016 04:01 PM
486 1234 ...
tools
    Your decision on buying a phone is based on if it sells as many as an iPhone?
    No. I'm equating importance OS updates to the general buying public and sales of smartphones that are regularly updated.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition
    06-09-2016 05:08 PM
    I had a great run with Moto from a bionic, 2013 x and a pure edition but I've finally (finally for me anyway)moved to a Nexus and already gotten a security update and am on the newest Android (pure was on 6.0 when I sold it). I loved Moto for a long time but it's time for me to move on. Software and updates are king for me and I don't see Moto doing better on updates than the two the pure edition has gotten. Then, I just can't stand super thin phones, the tiny battery is a turn off, the weird camera looks atrocious, I don't dig the placement of the fingerprint sensor nor do I like the looks of it plus the software keys right there, and finally I'm not interested in all the modules. Maybe fun for some, but not for all. So it's Nexus for this guy.
    06-09-2016 05:40 PM
    Most likely not - I have my eyes on Nexus and whatever else LG decided to pop out in the next year or so.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-09-2016 05:42 PM
    No. I'm equating importance OS updates to the general buying public and sales of smartphones that are regularly updated.

The population that bases decisions on security updates is like ... Me, Jerry, .... can't think of the rest, but probably someone from XDA? We're freaking loud, but we're definitely a minority.
    Laura Knotek and libra89 like this.
    06-09-2016 06:03 PM
    Most likely not - I have my eyes on Nexus and whatever else LG decided to pop out in the next year or so.

Yeah I wonder how the HTC Nexus will be.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    06-09-2016 06:19 PM
    Assassin Droid,
    If you've ever had a new phone and all of a sudden you're faced with the battery draining extremely fast, the phone not working and/or the phone restarting every minute, updates are pretty important. A new phone like this one with all the additional lines of code needed to make special hardware like the Mods work I'm sure is going to have more then a few problems. Go in the forums and see all the issues the G5 users are having right now.

So when Moto and Verizon both known to be the slowest to deal with these issues release a buggy phone, it creates another layer of problems.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    06-09-2016 06:26 PM
    Assassin Droid,
    If you've ever had a new phone and all of a sudden you're faced with the battery draining extremely fast, the phone not working and/or the phone restarting every minute, updates are pretty important. A new phone like this one with all the additional lines of code needed to make special hardware like the Mods work I'm sure is going to have more then a few problems. Go in the forums and see all the issues the G5 users are having right now.

So when Moto and Verizon both known to be the slowest to deal with these issues release a buggy phone, it creates another layer of problems.
    I don't disagree - software updates are very important to me (if that wasn't clear in my post) and so are security updates. That's why I'm on Nexus honestly. But I don't think they're that important to most average users.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-09-2016 06:28 PM
    Security updates should be important.

But I don't think the general Android buying public cares too much about that. If so, they would buy Nexus and BlackBerry devices.

Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-09-2016 06:53 PM
    Security updates should be important.

But I don't think the general Android buying public cares too much about that. If so, they would buy Nexus, and BlackBerry devices.

That's what I was trying to say also
    06-09-2016 07:01 PM
    So are their customers.
    When, exactly, did Motorola last have customers?

06-09-2016 07:47 PM
    I will own one of these. Not sure if it'll be the Moto Z or the Moto Z Force yet. I'm a Verizon customer so Verizon-exclusivity doesn't bother me though I would have preferred to have a model free of carrier bloat.

I like the switch back to AMOLED.

Battery size on the regular Moto Z doesn't bother me. I'm near chargers all the time. I bought extra batteries when I bought phones that had removable batteries so I'll likely buy the Incipio offGrid Motomod. Now I won't have to shut the phone down to do it. And won't have a cord dangling from an external battery pack. Also - can the battery pack be charged wirelessly without being attached to the phone?

Software updates? That's long gone from Motorola. It isn't bothering me on my Moto X Pure Edition. I get it. I'm not mad about it. If it was that important to me, I'd be on a Nexus. And I'm not.

Curious about the 21MP shooter. Is it the same as the third gen Moto X but with OIS? Since the third gen Moto X, I have no complaints about the cameras Moto uses.

Fingerprint Sensor on the front? Desk job makes me like that placement vs. the rear. Plus a rear FPS wouldn't have worked with Motomods - unless there was an FPS/NFC module.

Motomods: I can see myself having multiple Style Shells and actually kind of love that I wouldn't be stuck with my initial Motomaker design now. As mentioned above, I'll probably have the battery pack. If the sound quality from the single speaker is as good as the speakers on my third gen, I probably won't need the JBL Motomod. I'm curious if the camera Motomod makes it out because I can see myself getting that one for trips and events.

This is Motorola all the way. The spirit of the company that invented the cell phone is still there. They're still out there trying. This is the same company that made the DynaTAC and StarTAC and the RAZR. There was a Motorola T720 that had a modular camera add-on. This is the same Motorola that gets crazy with design like the Aura. This is the same Motorola that added Webtop and Lapdocks to the Atrix and DROID BIONIC. Project Ara? Google kept that when they sold Motorola to Lenovo. This modular thing was only a matter of time.
    Surely surely surely you work for moto right?

06-09-2016 08:07 PM

So anyone who disagrees with you must work for Motorola?

ggrr8t likes this.
    06-09-2016 08:10 PM

No I ain't that petty, and I own a moto phone(nexus 6)

06-09-2016 08:11 PM
    There's a difference between disagreeing and being a surrogate or an evangelist.

Just re-read the last paragraph:
    This is Motorola all the way. The spirit of the company that invented the cell phone is still there. They're still out there trying. This is the same company that made the DynaTAC and StarTAC and the RAZR. There was a Motorola T720 that had a modular camera add-on. This is the same Motorola that gets crazy with design like the Aura. This is the same Motorola that added Webtop and Lapdocks to the Atrix and DROID BIONIC. Project Ara? Google kept that when they sold Motorola to Lenovo. This modular thing was only a matter of time.
    thatguy97 likes this.
    06-09-2016 08:17 PM

Because I like the phone?

libra89 and HotInEER like this.
    06-09-2016 08:30 PM
    There's a difference between disagreeing and being a surrogate or an evangelist.

Just re-read the last paragraph:
    Again. Because I like the phone?

That paragraph is for everyone that thinks that the new Moto Z is Lenovo's fault. Or for the people that think that Motorola is gone.

Doom and gloom? Remains to be seen.

06-09-2016 08:33 PM
    Because I like the phone?

Idk dude that was quite an enthusiastic set of paragraphs you wrote there. Also you still haven't answered the question if ya work there not that I expect ya to.

06-09-2016 08:35 PM
    Idk dude that was quite an enthusiastic set of paragraphs you wrote there. Also you still haven't answered the question if ya work there not that I expect ya to.

Being a volunteer moderator here while working for one of these OEMs would be a conflict of interest.

06-09-2016 08:38 PM
    Being a volunteer moderator here while working for one if these OEMs would be a conflict of interest.

Whatever you say my dude

06-09-2016 08:41 PM
    That paragraph is for everyone that thinks that the new Moto Z is Lenovo's fault. Or for the people that think that Motorola is gone.
    I don't remember anyone questioning this and because nobody has, it sounds a bit preachy
    thatguy97 likes this.
    06-09-2016 08:46 PM
    No way, and I'm sad about it too since it's been ages since I've seriously considered anything but Motorola. But the Moto Z has nothing that makes me want to whip out my checkbook and plenty that makes me want to hang on to my MXPE for the foreseeable future. It looks like my next phone is most likely going to be a Nexus. But gee whiz what a letdown those annoying Moto mods are.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-09-2016 08:53 PM
    I don't remember anyone questioning this and because nobody has, it sounds a bit preachy
    See comments in all of the Moto Z articles on Android Central.

06-09-2016 08:55 PM

There are a LOT of people, myself included, in the Android Nerd Community that are strongly opposed to the new lineup from Moto and being quite vocal about it. Many of my posts about Moto in the past were very strong statements pushing back against people dismissing them - and when the opposition is strong, the response to it has to be. I don't see any problem with anyone, moderator, member or goldfish, having optimism for a device or company or, for that matter, anything, that they want to see be successful - especially if those things are happening in line with what that person wants to see happen. This device seems to be a very good fit for Ry - and I've continually said in the forums: want what you like, buy what you like, love what you bought. There's nothing wrong with us agreeing or disagreeing on these things and there's definitely no call for besmirching someone's character or credibility because they're passionate in an idea that they share.

Be together, not the same. If that doesn't mean anything for the Android Nerd Community, given that it's coming from their OverGod Google - then we're off track.

I can respect Ry's decision to want whatever device he wants and not be compelled to follow suit or feel slighted because we disagree. And if he didn't believe in the things he's saying, he'd be a very poor fit for my moderator team.
    Ry, sharkita, thatguy97 and 10 others like this.
    06-09-2016 08:57 PM
    See comments in all of the Moto Z articles on Android Central.
    So instead of posting that comment in the article, you've posted it here in the forum, in a thread where nobody has such qualms?!?

I'm really trying to follow you but I think logic and reasoning just walked out the front door.
    06-09-2016 09:02 PM
    So instead of posting that comment in the article, you've posted it here in the forum, in a thread where nobody has such qualms?!?

I'm really trying to follow you but I think logic and reasoning just walked out the front door.
    Yes.

06-09-2016 09:05 PM
486 1234 ...