08-15-2018 11:12 PM
489 12345 ...
tools
    I will own one of these. Not sure if it'll be the Moto Z or the Moto Z Force yet. I'm a Verizon customer so Verizon-exclusivity doesn't bother me though I would have preferred to have a model free of carrier bloat.

I like the switch back to AMOLED.

Battery size on the regular Moto Z doesn't bother me. I'm near chargers all the time. I bought extra batteries when I bought phones that had removable batteries so I'll likely buy the Incipio offGrid Motomod. Now I won't have to shut the phone down to do it. And won't have a cord dangling from an external battery pack. Also - can the battery pack be charged wirelessly without being attached to the phone?

Software updates? That's long gone from Motorola. It isn't bothering me on my Moto X Pure Edition. I get it. I'm not mad about it. If it was that important to me, I'd be on a Nexus. And I'm not.

Curious about the 21MP shooter. Is it the same as the third gen Moto X but with OIS? Since the third gen Moto X, I have no complaints about the cameras Moto uses.

Fingerprint Sensor on the front? Desk job makes me like that placement vs. the rear. Plus a rear FPS wouldn't have worked with Motomods - unless there was an FPS/NFC module.

Motomods: I can see myself having multiple Style Shells and actually kind of love that I wouldn't be stuck with my initial Motomaker design now. As mentioned above, I'll probably have the battery pack. If the sound quality from the single speaker is as good as the speakers on my third gen, I probably won't need the JBL Motomod. I'm curious if the camera Motomod makes it out because I can see myself getting that one for trips and events.

This is Motorola all the way. The spirit of the company that invented the cell phone is still there. They're still out there trying. This is the same company that made the DynaTAC and StarTAC and the RAZR. There was a Motorola T720 that had a modular camera add-on. This is the same Motorola that gets crazy with design like the Aura. This is the same Motorola that added Webtop and Lapdocks to the Atrix and DROID BIONIC. Project Ara? Google kept that when they sold Motorola to Lenovo. This modular thing was only a matter of time.
    All the more power to you, and I honestly truly hope the Z sells well. I would like to see Motorola hang in there and perhaps down the road have a phone that appeals to me as much as the X has. I have had some amazing Motorola phones through the years with the occasional dud (Atrix). I'd like to think they will survive and evolve, and down the road have another phone that makes me just have to have it. You never know!
    06-09-2016 08:08 PM
    Moto did a couple of things with this device that I can respect and several things I don't like. I think we should be able to separate those types of things instead of just, "OMG IT IS THE MOST FAILEST EVER!" I like the easier opportunity to customize with removable backs. I like the 3500 mAh battery option on the Force. I like that it's USB - C and I hope that they did it properly, but I don't know yet.

That said, it's the most failest ever.
    Laura Knotek and J Dubbs like this.
    06-09-2016 08:19 PM
    Definitely not buying the Moto Z. The overall design is terrible, fingerprint sensor should have been on back or side and I like having a headphone jack.
    06-09-2016 08:28 PM
    I'm honestly not sure if this device is for me. I like the look. The thin lines make it very sleek, there is little doubt about that. But the overall size of the device is probably what turns me away. While I'm not sold on the idea of modules, Moto at least did it a better way than LG did.

I don't want to see Moto go away, just like I don't want to see HTC go away either. Choice is wonderful, and the more someone wants X company to fold makes me cringe. I've posted this before, but I don't want my future choice of smartphone to be either Apple or Samsung.
    06-09-2016 08:28 PM
    If someone likes this device, then that's cool. It would be boring if we didn't have options. That said, I'll be looking elsewhere for my next device.
    06-09-2016 08:33 PM
    Definitely not buying the Moto Z. The overall design is terrible, fingerprint sensor should have been on back or side and I like having a headphone jack.
    So you're saying they shouldn't do the rear modules?

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition
    06-09-2016 08:46 PM
    My god so much negativity in this thread and people arguing pointlessly about dumb stuff.

Anyways, no I will not be buying this phone because I think it's ugly as sin but I applaud Moto for the effort. As a current Nexus 6 owner, it seems they are straying away from the practicality of their former devices and trying to find a niche. I'm not sold on all these modular accessories, I don't think the mainstream is ready for them yet. Two of my main gripes about the design of the phone is how busy the front looks and the protruding camera lens. Also, the battery.

Oh well maybe next time.
    06-09-2016 08:54 PM
    I'm surprised so many people are mad about the headphone jack. Literally never use it.
    jasoraso, Anonne and montekarlo262 like this.
    06-09-2016 09:02 PM
    There are a LOT of people, myself included, in the Android Nerd Community that are strongly opposed to the new lineup from Moto and being quite vocal about it. Many of my posts about Moto in the past were very strong statements pushing back against people dismissing them - and when the opposition is strong, the response to it has to be. I don't see any problem with anyone, moderator, member or goldfish, having optimism for a device or company or, for that matter, anything, that they want to see be successful - especially if those things are happening in line with what that person wants to see happen. This device seems to be a very good fit for Ry - and I've continually said in the forums: want what you like, buy what you like, love what you bought. There's nothing wrong with us agreeing or disagreeing on these things and there's definitely no call for besmirching someone's character or credibility because they're passionate in an idea that they share.

Be together, not the same. If that doesn't mean anything for the Android Nerd Community, given that it's coming from their OverGod Google - then we're off track.

I can respect Ry's decision to want whatever device he wants and not be compelled to follow suit or feel slighted because we disagree. And if he didn't believe in the things he's saying, he'd be a very poor fit for my moderator team.
    Excellent response

Posted via the Android Central App
    06-09-2016 09:02 PM
    So you're saying they shouldn't do the rear modules?

I'd rather have rear fingerprint sensor than the modules I've seen. If I was planning on getting the phone I'd only be interested in the power pack.
    Laura Knotek and Aquila like this.
    06-09-2016 09:18 PM
    No I ain't that petty, and I own a moto phone(nexus 6)

Actually, after reading your posts in this and every single other Motorola thread today...petty is a good description.

06-09-2016 09:27 PM
    I think the camera looks bulky .. it sticks out.. i dont like that
    06-09-2016 09:29 PM
    Anyone getting a Moto Z?-aeaac6b93a5f791aa65abbe5c1db2a1c.jpg

I want to love this phone. If I were to have gotten one, it would be the Z Force, but the exclusivity to Verizon until the fall is idiotic.

People are not switching carriers for a phone. VZ hasn't offered much of anything competitive to entice people to switch. These phones will most likely have their unlocked releases take place after the iPhone and Note launch. Why would Motorola/Lenovo even do that to themselves? Hopefully they surprise us with an updated Moto X that comes out before the big fall launches.

I had a Moto X last year, but the Nexus 6p came out within my return period so I returned the Moto X. Honestly, of the two phones, I liked the Motorola phone more, but the lack of a fingerprint reader was a deal breaker. An updated Moto X coming out before the major launches could be a major seller for Motorola, too bad that'll probably never happen.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-09-2016 09:31 PM
    Not me.

Not because the phone is bad, but because it's just releasing in the wrong time for me. I'm not a Verizon customer, so I won't be getting the Z during its exclusivity period on Verizon throughout the summer. As such, if I had to choose, I would have to go with the unlocked version. Trouble is, by that time, the phone that I'm hyped for, the Samsung Galaxy Note 6/7, would have already been unveiled and quite possibly already in stores by that time and if it's all it's cracked up to be, then I'd be going that way.

Sure, there were parts of the Moto Z that I'm not a fan of, like the frankly pathetic 2,600mAh battery on the normal Moto Z (the Force has a much more palatable 3,500mAh battery) and the removal of the 3.5mm headphone jack (at least they included the adaptor), but ultimately, it's the release period that kinda made it a no-go for me, unfortunately. Still, I'm giving Moto some points for trying with Motomods.

I'm still not big on modular designs on phones until there is a universal standard that works on a lot of phones, regardless of OEM, but just on release, Motorola has done a way better job than LG IMHO. The implementation overall seems to be better and there's more you can do with them. LG still hasn't come out with a new module for a while.
    06-09-2016 09:34 PM
    Idk dude that was quite an enthusiastic set of paragraphs you wrote there. Also you still haven't answered the question if ya work there not that I expect ya to.

OMG! Someone wrote a positive few sentences about Motorola! Must be Yang Yuanqing himself! Because for goodness sakes no one not employed by Motorola or Lenovo could possibly hold a different opinion of the Z than thatguy!

06-09-2016 09:36 PM
    Actually, after reading your posts in this and every single other Motorola thread today...petty is a good description.

Hey.. there's no need for that.

thatguy97, Aquila and libra89 like this.
    06-09-2016 09:40 PM
    Yeah I wonder how the HTC Nexus will be.
    Exactly. I want to see what HTC and Nexus - two of my favourite manufacturers! - do this time 'round. I've never been super interested in the Motorola line of devices.

06-09-2016 09:46 PM

Lol your new it's cool tho

06-09-2016 09:50 PM
    Yeah I wonder how the HTC Nexus will be.
    Thought the Hauawi CEO said they were making the next Nexus.
    Was kinda hoping HTC would be doing it tho
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-09-2016 10:04 PM
    Thought the Hauawi CEO said they were making the next Nexus.
    Would that stop HTC from making one?

Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-09-2016 10:04 PM
    Nope!

Hey, I like bluetooth, but not buying a device without a headphone jack. Seriously, phones are thin enough. A little thicker, w/ bigger battery and a headphone jack still allows for a pretty thin phone.

Verizon exclusivity also knocks it off my radar. It's a shame. Motorola quickly became my favorite manufacturer w/ the original Moto X, but they've lost all my good will.
    06-09-2016 10:05 PM
    Would that stop HTC from making one?

Not at all. Choice is good
    06-09-2016 10:07 PM
    I'm a bona-fide Samsung hater and I hate this trend more than them.
    Not to mention how ugly the front panel is, you don't just strip away features and sell them separately in the name of "mod upgrades".
    Sooner or later after the flood of complaints, they will release a 3.5mm jack mod and look greedy as hell.
    06-09-2016 10:20 PM
    I think the camera looks bulky .. it sticks out.. i dont like that
    The moment you put a case on it, it's flush though.
    06-09-2016 10:25 PM
    I'm a bona-fide Samsung hater and I hate this trend more than them.
    Not to mention how ugly the front panel is, you don't just strip away features and sell them separately in the name of "mod upgrades".
    Sooner or later after the flood of complaints, they will release a 3.5mm jack mod and look greedy as hell.
    Let's see who else stops including a 3.5mm audio jack.

06-09-2016 10:27 PM
489 12345 ...