10-05-2016 04:01 PM
486 ... 34567 ...
tools
    I really hope the Z Force isn't a Verizon exclusive.

The much larger 3,500mAh battery on the Z Force compared to the frankly pathetic 2,600mAh unit on the standard Z was enough to make me think "Pick the Z Force over the Z if you're considering one of these". And Shattershield is a nice bonus.

If it's a Verizon-exclusive all-year round.....
    I'm inclined to agree about the battery. I was hoping this would be the year ending the Verizon Droid line.
    06-10-2016 09:50 AM
    Unlocked version, absolutely if it was releasing now. Verizon droid version, not touching that crap even if they give free.

By the time the useless exclusivity is over next gen phones like Note 7, next Nexus would be out so probably not getting this.

Big screw up Motorola. Good job!!
    Ry likes this.
    06-10-2016 09:55 AM
    I'm inclined to agree about the battery. I was hoping this would be the year ending the Verizon Droid line.
    Until that contract finally expires, we'll be seeing them...

And really, 2600mAh is pathetic. We already know how it's roughly going to be like. Look at the Galaxy S6 for reference.
    06-10-2016 10:07 AM
    This is the sentiments of many. My son can't wait to ditch his Droid Turbo.
    06-10-2016 10:23 AM
    Until that contract finally expires, we'll be seeing them...

And really, 2600mAh is pathetic. We already know how it's roughly going to be like. Look at the Galaxy S6 for reference.
    That tiny battery really is a shame. I don't see anyone choosing the standard Z over the Force by choice unless the price difference is crazy.

Related note, regarding the lack of the headphone jack. Engadget (I know, rival site) has an interesting editorial up about this very thing, and how it may affect people down the road. Long story short, by eliminating the headphone jack the manufacturers are putting it upon the headphone makers to include DACs and amps into the headphones, or you'll have to watch what's included in the adapter. Also, these things require power, and headphone makers are not going to prioritize a phone's battery life over sounding good (the editorial notes that a Lightning connector set of headphones noticeably reduced the battery life of an iPhone when in use because it draws so much power).

Count me in the camp that the removal of the jack and a paltry battery in pursuit of thinness that consumers don't seem to care about looks like a big mistake. Maybe this will change in the future, but right now it seems premature.
    06-10-2016 10:49 AM
    Yup. Moto phones have been awesome. Carrier branded? So? Don't see the big deal there. They have a light touch on the crapware and they are on my carrier. Verizon has been purely awesome for me so I don't see a downside. I'm all over this one. Maybe not the force though. I don't care about shatter proof and I don't want the plastic armor plate 😃
    Ry likes this.
    06-10-2016 10:55 AM
    I have been a Moto fan since the OG-Droid. I like the idea of the modules especially the idea of the battery pack and JBL speakers. My last Motorola devices were the OG Moto-X (Love the size of that phone!) and Droid Turbo 64GB. Since updates have been really slow to come or nonexistent, I've moved on to Nexus phones. I've had the 5x (sold it to my son) and am currently on a 6P. I've had a really good experience with those 2 phones, and will probably keep on this path for the foreseeable future.

I will keep an eye on what Moto is doing, but I think I like my current path that I'm on.

Good luck Moto.
    06-10-2016 11:01 AM
    So are their customers.
    And the "can you hear me now guy" from the commercials... Lol

Posted via the Android Central App
    06-10-2016 11:07 AM
    Why such turmoil on the fingerprint sensor on the front? I sure don't remember this much whining with the fingerprint sensor being on the front on the Note 5. Okay, the headphone jack - easy fix with the adapter and years ago some phones came with them and well, no one really bitched because that's the way it was. I'm disappointed in the Z as well and don't think I'll be considering it but it seems like some are complaining just to complain.

Mark my words - once this releases the whiners will be following it and making their comments known. Just get what you like. Just because you don't like this phone doesn't mean thousands others have to agree with you.
    I think it goes back to multiple generations of Moto phones and the Motorola Dimple on the back being a good place to put a fingerprint sensor and the current Nexus devices having it on the back.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition
    06-10-2016 11:39 AM
    Same for me. I have enjoyed Moto software features on the first and second gens. When I'm driving with people they still freak out that my phone talks to me including asking whether I want to answer the call or respond to a text, all without touching the phone. But it was a big mistake to put a 2600mah battery in the non Droid Z and the size jump from my second gen X to the new Z is a nonstarter. I'm going to check out the ASUS Zenphoe 3 Deluxe and see if it is too big. It has better specs than the Moto Z and likely a better camera. If not that, then I will wait to see what the new Nexus phones look like this fall.
    06-10-2016 11:45 AM
    Hey.. there's no need for that.

But unjustifiably calling you a paid motorola shill is hunky dory?
    06-10-2016 11:51 AM
    I could very well be upgrading my X to a Z at some point. I'm really intrigued by the projector and speaker mods.
    06-10-2016 11:53 AM
    For me, this thing is going to come down to price. If it is priced in the 3-$400 range, that will leave room in my budget for mods. If it is priced like HTC/LG/Samsung, in the $6-$700 range, no way.
    06-10-2016 11:59 AM
    Heard it had a 600 series Snapdragon, so no way...otherwise, it sounds very interesting.
    06-10-2016 12:13 PM
    For me, this thing is going to come down to price. If it is priced in the 3-$400 range, that will leave room in my budget for mods. If it is priced like HTC/LG/Samsung, in the $6-$700 range, no way.
    If the 32GB model is over $499.99, it's going to be a tough sell when last year's flagship started at $449.00 (32GB model).
    06-10-2016 12:17 PM
    Heard it had a 600 series Snapdragon
    It doesn't
    06-10-2016 12:17 PM
    Heard it had a 600 series Snapdragon, so no way...otherwise, it sounds very interesting.
    It doesn't. Both the Moto Z and Moto Z Force run the Snapdragon 820. The still rumored, not yet announced lower-tier Moto Z Play supposedly runs on the 625.
    06-10-2016 12:18 PM
    Given the specs, I'd say it will be in the S7/G5/10 price range. Yep, me either.

Posted via the Android Central App from my S7 edge
    06-10-2016 12:24 PM
    Well was hoping that Moto would keep the trend of making one phone that worked on all carriers. It looks like Lenovo couldn't help but see $$$ from Verizon to make not one but two exclusives for Verizon and then not even have them till sometime this summer. I'm on Verizon but am tried of getting a phone tied to a carrier. I am curious how you will put a case on the phone.....
    06-10-2016 12:30 PM
    No. I would have considered it but I'm not waiting for exclusivity deal to expire. Goodbye MOTO.

...Joe K.
    06-10-2016 12:38 PM
    I would differ with the opinion that OS updates are not a sales driver. After using Droids exclusively over the years since the original Droid, I got fed up with the lack of OS update support from Moto and Verizon. I dropped the Droid Turbo mid-contract and haven't looked back. I am very happy with my Nexus 6P. It's too big, I miss some of the Moto software features, but I'd never go back to a company that kisses you goodbye as soon as they make the sale.
    06-10-2016 12:56 PM
    I would differ with the opinion that OS updates are not a sales driver. After using Droids exclusively over the years since the original Droid, I got fed up with the lack of OS update support from Moto and Verizon. I dropped the Droid Turbo mid-contract and haven't looked back. I am very happy with my Nexus 6P. It's too big, I miss some of the Moto software features, but I'd never go back to a company that kisses you goodbye as soon as they make the sale.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

But if we're talking personal experiences, I travel a lot for work. I literally look at every single phone I see in the wild to see what it is. I've seen barely a handful non-Verizon motorolas in the last few years. Its samsungs (and iphones) as far as the eye can see. And those samsungs are months (at best) or yearS out of date.

Direct-to-consumer-off-contract and lightning-fast updates won over the tech blogs and you and I. But that is a rounding error in the volume of motorola phones Verizon will sell in the coming year. And considering Lenovo bought a company that was 100% established and set up to do direct-to-consumer-sales-with-lightning-fast-updates and scrapped it all, I would guess the numbers just don't work.

Its frustrating that there are no responsible android manufacturers with scale. But my method of staying up to date works for me: Buy the latest and greatest phone every 3 months, and if there is a break in new releases hang onto a nexus in-between.
    Ry and sharkita like this.
    06-10-2016 12:59 PM
    Yeah Moto burned a lot bridges with the way they handled that.

There are some people who think you should hand over your money when buying a new phone and not complain like the Soup Nazi. But I have this crazy view that when your spending the same amount of money you could get a laptop for (this phone will undoubtedly cost near $700) you should have the right to be a bit more picky then if it works or not. I get better support when I buy a new Lenovo laptop then when I buy a new Lenovo phone, that's banana's!
    06-10-2016 01:07 PM
    After a 6P and Moto X Pure I've really come to appreciate unlocked devices so won't be considering this on Verizon. The battery mod makes the phone look better IMO. The uber thinness of the plain phone is a turn off to me and that wimpy battery just adds to the turn off. I'd probably look at the "Force" if I was even considering this. My current Moto X is running just fine so be sticking with it. I did read somewhere that Lenovo/Motorola said when asked that the "X" line is not dead. The "Z" line is just in addition to their offerings. So if this be a true statement then maybe a new unlocked "X" could be coming down the road at some point. Something to consider especially if the "Z" line doesn't sell that well.
    06-10-2016 01:09 PM
    I would love to compare sales of the Moto X Pure Edition or Nexus 6P vs. the 2015 DROIDs.

06-10-2016 01:09 PM
486 ... 34567 ...