Anyone getting a Moto Z?

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: Anyone getting one?

The Droid versions? Hell no, I wouldn't touch a carrier-branded phone (let alone a Verizon-branded one) with a 10-foot cattle prod.

The unlocked versions? Unlikely. The normal version's battery is a joke (2600 mAh with a 5.5" screen?) and I'm suspicious of the screen quality for the Force's unbreakable screen. Add in my skepticism of the whole mod ecosystem, the large size of these phones, and my desire for timely security and OS updates, and I really don't see my next phone being a Moto.

This bums me out. I really do appreciate Moto's added software features. Moto Voice while driving is a godsend. I love the active screen. I like being able to customize my "attention" phrase. But with how competitive the smartphone market now is, I'm less tolerant of compromise in my phone, and the new Z seems to have too many for me.

Edit: forgot to mention the elimination of the wonderful ergonomics of the old curved back with its dimple. It's just another big fat slab of phone. :(

effreyj

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site

The unlocked version is definitely intriguing. I assume it'll still work with Verizon and that you won't need to be stuck with the carrier version to use it on the VZW network. It's a high-end phone and the Moto features are the best of any OEM in my opinion, so definitely could be a great phone.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Absolutely not. One of the worst things I've encountered in this industry since I began loving this industry. If someone gave one to me as a gift, that person would no longer be my friend. That said, if I win one in a contest, I promise that I'm going to make a YouTube video, 4K ultra slomo of the phone exploding into zillions of particles.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site

Absolutely not. This is the worst design I've seen in a phone. Not only does it look ugly, but it lacks hardware features that it should have.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

The unlocked version is definitely intriguing. I assume it'll still work with Verizon and that you won't need to be stuck with the carrier version to use it on the VZW network. It's a high-end phone and the Moto features are the best of any OEM in my opinion, so definitely could be a great phone.

Rumors point to the unlocked version not working on Verizon.

bsannes

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site

Phone looks nice , but the battery is small not liking that. Also verizon exclusive is dumb mainly cause of the length of time that it is an exclusive .

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site

I hoping the next Nexus phone will be a winner. I'm done with Droid's, once they sell you one you are a forgotten customer. Issues abound and updates are far from ever happening. Moto and Verizon never have time to deal with Droid issues once they've been sold.

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site

No. Too many compromises and poorly executed "improvements". FPS should be on back. Mods=uugh. Front speakers gone. Battery, though I could have lived with it if everything else wasn't wrong with the phone. It did make the base phone very thin. And making it a Verizon exclusive......By the time it's available unlocked, there will be a new Nexus on the horizon.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Anyone interested in getting one of the Z's? Sound off below.

I will own one of these. Not sure if it'll be the Moto Z or the Moto Z Force yet. I'm a Verizon customer so Verizon-exclusivity doesn't bother me though I would have preferred to have a model free of carrier bloat.

I like the switch back to AMOLED.

Battery size on the regular Moto Z doesn't bother me. I'm near chargers all the time. I bought extra batteries when I bought phones that had removable batteries so I'll likely buy the Incipio offGrid Motomod. Now I won't have to shut the phone down to do it. And won't have a cord dangling from an external battery pack. Also - can the battery pack be charged wirelessly without being attached to the phone?

Software updates? That's long gone from Motorola. It isn't bothering me on my Moto X Pure Edition. I get it. I'm not mad about it. If it was that important to me, I'd be on a Nexus. And I'm not.

Curious about the 21MP shooter. Is it the same as the third gen Moto X but with OIS? Since the third gen Moto X, I have no complaints about the cameras Moto uses.

Fingerprint Sensor on the front? Desk job makes me like that placement vs. the rear. Plus a rear FPS wouldn't have worked with Motomods - unless there was an FPS/NFC module.

Motomods: I can see myself having multiple Style Shells and actually kind of love that I wouldn't be stuck with my initial Motomaker design now. As mentioned above, I'll probably have the battery pack. If the sound quality from the single speaker is as good as the speakers on my third gen, I probably won't need the JBL Motomod. I'm curious if the camera Motomod makes it out because I can see myself getting that one for trips and events.

This is Motorola all the way. The spirit of the company that invented the cell phone is still there. They're still out there trying. This is the same company that made the DynaTAC and StarTAC and the RAZR. There was a Motorola T720 that had a modular camera add-on. This is the same Motorola that gets crazy with design like the Aura. This is the same Motorola that added Webtop and Lapdocks to the Atrix and DROID BIONIC. Project Ara? Google kept that when they sold Motorola to Lenovo. This modular thing was only a matter of time.

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site

At the end of the day many people like me chose an Android phone because of the OS. When a company chooses to ignore supporting the OS, it's kind of a big thing.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

At the end of the day many people like me chose an Android phone because of the OS. When a company chooses to ignore supporting the OS, it's kind of a big thing.

I'd argue that OS updates aren't a significant sales driver for Android phones.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

You're absolutely correct, they're not. That doesn't make it less of a problem when companies stop supporting their own phones with important security updates.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

You're absolutely correct, they're not. That doesn't make it less of a problem when companies stop supporting their own phones with important security updates.

I care more about security updates vs. OS updates. They can be and are separate on Android now.

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site

I suppose one can argue anything but it all depends on what future versions of Android bring in terms of features and fixes. For now maybe the Multi-windows, Seamless Updates or Notifications are things a lot of people care about.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I suppose one can argue anything but it all depends on what future versions of Android bring in terms of features and fixes. For now maybe the Multi-windows, Seamless Updates or Notifications are things a lot of people care about.

Sure. But then consumers are trained to buy the next phone.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

So are their customers.

There are more droids in my family than iphones thanks to the ability for the tech-illiterate to walk into a verizon store. I (very much to my dismay) bet Motorola will do better with a deep and thick carrier partnership than they will having a few tech enthusiasts buy on their website.

To answer the question...I'll play with one in a store. But I don't hang onto any phone for longer than 90 days (I may hit a record with my 6p). If I don't think it will have a strong resale value I will have to pass. If it gets rave reviews and it looks like there may be a solid second hand market on Swappa I'll buy one for a few months until the next nexus comes out and unload my 6p before the resale plummets.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance