Anyone getting a Moto Z?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Anyone getting one?

There's a difference between disagreeing and being a surrogate or an evangelist.

Just re-read the last paragraph:

Again. Because I like the phone?

That paragraph is for everyone that thinks that the new Moto Z is Lenovo's fault. Or for the people that think that Motorola is gone.

Doom and gloom? Remains to be seen.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

thatguy97

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site

Because I like the phone?

Idk dude that was quite an enthusiastic set of paragraphs you wrote there. Also you still haven't answered the question if ya work there not that I expect ya to.

Posted via the Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Idk dude that was quite an enthusiastic set of paragraphs you wrote there. Also you still haven't answered the question if ya work there not that I expect ya to.

Being a volunteer moderator here while working for one of these OEMs would be a conflict of interest.

thatguy97

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site

Being a volunteer moderator here while working for one if these OEMs would be a conflict of interest.

Whatever you say my dude

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site

That paragraph is for everyone that thinks that the new Moto Z is Lenovo's fault. Or for the people that think that Motorola is gone.

I don't remember anyone questioning this and because nobody has, it sounds a bit preachy

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
No way, and I'm sad about it too since it's been ages since I've seriously considered anything but Motorola. But the Moto Z has nothing that makes me want to whip out my checkbook and plenty that makes me want to hang on to my MXPE for the foreseeable future. It looks like my next phone is most likely going to be a Nexus. But gee whiz what a letdown those annoying Moto mods are.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I don't remember anyone questioning this and because nobody has, it sounds a bit preachy

See comments in all of the Moto Z articles on Android Central.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

There are a LOT of people, myself included, in the Android Nerd Community that are strongly opposed to the new lineup from Moto and being quite vocal about it. Many of my posts about Moto in the past were very strong statements pushing back against people dismissing them - and when the opposition is strong, the response to it has to be. I don't see any problem with anyone, moderator, member or goldfish, having optimism for a device or company or, for that matter, anything, that they want to see be successful - especially if those things are happening in line with what that person wants to see happen. This device seems to be a very good fit for Ry - and I've continually said in the forums: want what you like, buy what you like, love what you bought. There's nothing wrong with us agreeing or disagreeing on these things and there's definitely no call for besmirching someone's character or credibility because they're passionate in an idea that they share.

Be together, not the same. If that doesn't mean anything for the Android Nerd Community, given that it's coming from their OverGod Google - then we're off track.

I can respect Ry's decision to want whatever device he wants and not be compelled to follow suit or feel slighted because we disagree. And if he didn't believe in the things he's saying, he'd be a very poor fit for my moderator team.

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site

See comments in all of the Moto Z articles on Android Central.

So instead of posting that comment in the article, you've posted it here in the forum, in a thread where nobody has such qualms?!?

I'm really trying to follow you but I think logic and reasoning just walked out the front door.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

So instead of posting that comment in the article, you've posted it here in the forum, in a thread where nobody has such qualms?!?

I'm really trying to follow you but I think logic and reasoning just walked out the front door.

Yes.

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site

I will own one of these. Not sure if it'll be the Moto Z or the Moto Z Force yet. I'm a Verizon customer so Verizon-exclusivity doesn't bother me though I would have preferred to have a model free of carrier bloat.

I like the switch back to AMOLED.

Battery size on the regular Moto Z doesn't bother me. I'm near chargers all the time. I bought extra batteries when I bought phones that had removable batteries so I'll likely buy the Incipio offGrid Motomod. Now I won't have to shut the phone down to do it. And won't have a cord dangling from an external battery pack. Also - can the battery pack be charged wirelessly without being attached to the phone?

Software updates? That's long gone from Motorola. It isn't bothering me on my Moto X Pure Edition. I get it. I'm not mad about it. If it was that important to me, I'd be on a Nexus. And I'm not.

Curious about the 21MP shooter. Is it the same as the third gen Moto X but with OIS? Since the third gen Moto X, I have no complaints about the cameras Moto uses.

Fingerprint Sensor on the front? Desk job makes me like that placement vs. the rear. Plus a rear FPS wouldn't have worked with Motomods - unless there was an FPS/NFC module.

Motomods: I can see myself having multiple Style Shells and actually kind of love that I wouldn't be stuck with my initial Motomaker design now. As mentioned above, I'll probably have the battery pack. If the sound quality from the single speaker is as good as the speakers on my third gen, I probably won't need the JBL Motomod. I'm curious if the camera Motomod makes it out because I can see myself getting that one for trips and events.

This is Motorola all the way. The spirit of the company that invented the cell phone is still there. They're still out there trying. This is the same company that made the DynaTAC and StarTAC and the RAZR. There was a Motorola T720 that had a modular camera add-on. This is the same Motorola that gets crazy with design like the Aura. This is the same Motorola that added Webtop and Lapdocks to the Atrix and DROID BIONIC. Project Ara? Google kept that when they sold Motorola to Lenovo. This modular thing was only a matter of time.

All the more power to you, and I honestly truly hope the Z sells well. I would like to see Motorola hang in there and perhaps down the road have a phone that appeals to me as much as the X has. I have had some amazing Motorola phones through the years with the occasional dud (Atrix). I'd like to think they will survive and evolve, and down the road have another phone that makes me just have to have it. You never know!

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Moto did a couple of things with this device that I can respect and several things I don't like. I think we should be able to separate those types of things instead of just, "OMG IT IS THE MOST FAILEST EVER!" I like the easier opportunity to customize with removable backs. I like the 3500 mAh battery option on the Force. I like that it's USB - C and I hope that they did it properly, but I don't know yet.

That said, it's the most failest ever.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Definitely not buying the Moto Z. The overall design is terrible, fingerprint sensor should have been on back or side and I like having a headphone jack.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm honestly not sure if this device is for me. I like the look. The thin lines make it very sleek, there is little doubt about that. But the overall size of the device is probably what turns me away. While I'm not sold on the idea of modules, Moto at least did it a better way than LG did.

I don't want to see Moto go away, just like I don't want to see HTC go away either. Choice is wonderful, and the more someone wants X company to fold makes me cringe. I've posted this before, but I don't want my future choice of smartphone to be either Apple or Samsung.

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
If someone likes this device, then that's cool. It would be boring if we didn't have options. That said, I'll be looking elsewhere for my next device.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Definitely not buying the Moto Z. The overall design is terrible, fingerprint sensor should have been on back or side and I like having a headphone jack.

So you're saying they shouldn't do the rear modules?

Adam Sawyer

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
My god so much negativity in this thread and people arguing pointlessly about dumb stuff.

Anyways, no I will not be buying this phone because I think it's ugly as sin but I applaud Moto for the effort. As a current Nexus 6 owner, it seems they are straying away from the practicality of their former devices and trying to find a niche. I'm not sold on all these modular accessories, I don't think the mainstream is ready for them yet. Two of my main gripes about the design of the phone is how busy the front looks and the protruding camera lens. Also, the battery.

Oh well maybe next time.

thatguy97

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site

There are a LOT of people, myself included, in the Android Nerd Community that are strongly opposed to the new lineup from Moto and being quite vocal about it. Many of my posts about Moto in the past were very strong statements pushing back against people dismissing them - and when the opposition is strong, the response to it has to be. I don't see any problem with anyone, moderator, member or goldfish, having optimism for a device or company or, for that matter, anything, that they want to see be successful - especially if those things are happening in line with what that person wants to see happen. This device seems to be a very good fit for Ry - and I've continually said in the forums: want what you like, buy what you like, love what you bought. There's nothing wrong with us agreeing or disagreeing on these things and there's definitely no call for besmirching someone's character or credibility because they're passionate in an idea that they share.

Be together, not the same. If that doesn't mean anything for the Android Nerd Community, given that it's coming from their OverGod Google - then we're off track.

I can respect Ry's decision to want whatever device he wants and not be compelled to follow suit or feel slighted because we disagree. And if he didn't believe in the things he's saying, he'd be a very poor fit for my moderator team.

Excellent response

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
So you're saying they shouldn't do the rear modules?

I'd rather have rear fingerprint sensor than the modules I've seen. If I was planning on getting the phone I'd only be interested in the power pack.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon